Price vs Fucale Future Predicament

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
So in 4 or so years we could be facing a future issue IF Fucale reaches his potential. If Fucale in 4 or 5 years has shown he can play well in the NHL and price can bring in a good return what would you do? Obviously this is just hypothetical, but if Fucale looked like he can be a good starter and Price could bring in a good top 2 dman or top line centre I consider it. What would you do? Trade Fucale? Trade Price? This is In no way a Price hating thread, I'm thrilled with how he is playing this season.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Fucale has a long, long, LONG road ahead before the Habs management even have to begin considering making a move in the goalie department.

The chances he becomes anything close to Price are slim. If he does, then who cares. More assets to trade.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
Why people think Fucale has starting goalie potential?

Because he was ranked In the first round and was the highest ranked goalie. Aswell as many scouts believe he can be a starter and Button went as far as saying he could be a franchise goalie.

NewHabsEra*

So in 4 or so years we could be facing a future issue IF Fucale reaches his potential. If Fucale in 4 or 5 years has shown he can play well in the NHL and price can bring in a good return what would you do? Obviously this is just hypothetical, but if Fucale looked like he can be a good starter and Price could bring in a good top 2 dman or top line centre I consider it. What would you do? Trade Fucale? Trade Price? This is In no way a Price hating thread, I'm thrilled with how he is playing this season.

Fucale will have big shoes to fill if we trade Price at some point or let him go when his contract expires.. Price is IMO the best goaltender in the world right now and proved he could handle the Montreal crazy market and all the pressure coming with.. If Fucale develops as expected, it will just give Bergevin some very good options but its still 4-5 season away, alot can happen till then..

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Fucale seems to have a good head on his shoulder and with a good goalie situation in Montreal we will be able to develop him properly, if he ever reaches the top of his potential we might end up with one of the best duo in the league and if needs be trade one of them..

Lets just develop Fucale slowly and things will unfold naturally imo

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Better yet, why do you think he doesn't?

It is very difficult to predict how a goalie will develop. By setting your expectations so high for an 18 years old, you will very often end up disappointed.

If he turns out well, then awesome. Chances are not so good.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
So basically the Nucks situation with Lu and Schneider. Hopefully management can handle it a little better.

HABSINCE76

May 31, 2009
I heard that montreal has been getting calls on Fucale with Edmonton showing the most interest.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
So basically the Nucks situation with Lu and Schneider. Hopefully management can handle it a little better.

Well it will be much different since Price won't be allowed to be on a 12 year cap circumventing contract.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL

Bah, all of LA, ANH, OTT and even WSH i would say have had 3 possible "starting" goalies. We have one. i would say the problem relies in not having goalie depth, then the future extremely unlikely "complications"...

And if Price is still on top of his game in 4 years (which he will), well then we have ourselves a young "valuable" goalie to trade that was picked in 2nd round. i;ll do the halak trade any day.

Analyzer*

Fucale will be traded in that time span.

Unless Fucale proves to be just as good, if not better than Price, then Price will be dealt as Fucale will be younger and cheaper.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
If the Habs management happens to stay there for a few years, and they end up dealing with this two-starter situation, I think they'll have learned a thing or two from the Price/Halak situation.

To get Fucale's value up he needs to play but you don't want to take ice-time away from your starter. Healthy competition is usually pretty good too though, so it all comes up to a balance you need to achieve. It will also depend where we are in 4 years, because if the Habs think that they'll be able to do a cup run during Price's career (while he's between the ages of 28-35) then they'll likely hold on to him. If they think it's a longshot then there's a bigger chance they go for the big move.

Teams that are playing well don't typically do the big (or risky) moves, and the Habs are a historically conservative team on the trade market. I don't expect anything huge to come from this potential two-goalie situation.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Fucale has another year in the QMJHL.
Then he will have 2 years to develop in the AHL.
He'll back up Price for a year or two.

Price will still be young for a goalie about 31-32 when Fucale is ready to be a starter. That's when you identify which goalie you want to go with and who you want to trade.

So the problem holds no weight for a very long time.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Fuscale still has a lot of prove before this is even close to a predicament.

Many, many goalies do not pan out. Even highly ranked goalies. He has a lot of potential but that doesn't mean squat, just look at the dozens of "high potential" goalies that the Leafs have struck out on. A lot of people said Pogge would be good. And that Raycroft would be good. And the Monster.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
You know he does have the best GAA in the QMJHL right?

Do you know how many "top" Q goalies go on to have starting positions in the NHL ? i don't actually know, but i can easily assume there are very very few that have starting jobs in the NHL.

Like, almost non-existent.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Fuscale still has a lot of prove before this is even close to a predicament.

Many, many goalies do not pan out. Even highly ranked goalies. He has a lot of potential but that doesn't mean squat, just look at the dozens of "high potential" goalies that the Leafs have struck out on. A lot of people said Pogge would be good. And that Raycroft would be good. And the Monster.

Oh god the raycroft for rask deal. :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad