Price vs Fucale Future Predicament

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
do we really have to start the drama this early? collectively, were barely just now getting over the halak/price cluster****

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I can see Fucale as a rookie in 4-5 years, if he is to really challenge Price that's another year or two later, that's around 6 years time, so no worries.
Exactly... if Fucale can challenge Price 6 years from now, that's a great thing for Habs fans. Great that Fucale developed that well. Or, perhaps if Price has faded a bit, great that we have a replacement ready.

I'd like the Habs to draft another stud goaltending prospect in the next couple of years, though, just in case Fucale doesn't pan out. :naughty:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
So in 4 or so years we could be facing a future issue IF Fucale reaches his potential. If Fucale in 4 or 5 years has shown he can play well in the NHL and price can bring in a good return what would you do? Obviously this is just hypothetical, but if Fucale looked like he can be a good starter and Price could bring in a good top 2 dman or top line centre I consider it. What would you do? Trade Fucale? Trade Price? This is In no way a Price hating thread, I'm thrilled with how he is playing this season.

Good chance...Price be north of 30 by then and way Timmins was talking he was googly eyed over Fucale competitiveness, strong chance he's our goalie 2018

Davebo*

Let him back up Price when he's ready for that role - what better person to learn from? Price is patient and calm - good traits for a new guy to pick up.

As Price starts to slow down Fucale can take more games off his hands, until eventually Fucale takes over as starter.

Why not do that? Price's workload would remain high for the next several years, then insert Fucale as backup while Price still gets a high amount of games. Then gradually over - several seasons start giving Fucale more starts. Price eventually nears retirement, we draft a new guy - rinse/repeat.

Oct 22, 2012
Apologies if this has been mentioned, I meant to post this yesterday.

I believe that Carey Price will be a hab for life, inb4 "even Gretzky was traded". Maybe I should say that I hope that he stays. He possesses that "generational talent" for his position and should never be let go, or replaced. Just like Quick shouldn't be, or Lundqvist. He is the Brodeur of this team. Now before you get the pitchforks out I am not saying he is Brodeur, he has to accomplish ALOT more before that even comes up. He has been a shining star on this team for a while, and I hope that continues for the next 10+ years.

I'm really happy to have Fucale as a prospect, and I hope he becomes a great NHLer. If one day he forces the hand of a GM that can only mean really really really good things for us. However in reality, these goalies are not a dime a dozen, and I don't hold Fucale to that standard. By the time he graduates to Pro, I don't think Price will be slowing down. By that time I expect to see him leading us to the promise land.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Or they could draft a European goalie late (Vokoun, Halak)
Or sign one as a free agent. It's all good. Signing Condon was a good try too. You have to have prospects at all levels. Once Fucale graduates to the AHL, it will be good to have another junior-aged goalie progressing somewhere, be it a stud CHL pick, or as you say a later-picked European or somebody bound for the NCAA. You get 14 picks every 2 years... generally speaking, 1.2 of them should be goalies. :)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I want to see a Thomas/Rask kind of succesion. Nothing else will be disrepectful (Obivously Price will end his career here, not in florida)

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Or sign one as a free agent. It's all good. Signing Condon was a good try too. You have to have prospects at all levels. Once Fucale graduates to the AHL, it will be good to have another junior-aged goalie progressing somewhere, be it a stud CHL pick, or as you say a later-picked European or somebody bound for the NCAA. You get 14 picks every 2 years... generally speaking, 1.2 of them should be goalies. :)

What would it take from the Sabres to get Fucale? Obvious we are rebuilding and Price will be your starter for a decade. Habs needs?

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
I sense there are some that really miss the legend that was Price v Halak

PricePkPatch*

I think we have enough drama here to refuse to start living one 5 years in advance.

please.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
What would it take from the Sabres to get Fucale? Obvious we are rebuilding and Price will be your starter for a decade. Habs needs?
Well, before drafting Fucale we needed a goalie prospect in the system. :)

Otherwise, Habs need scoring, preferably scoring wingers with size.

I hope Price is our starter for a decade, but he only has 4 years on his contract after this one, and that's as far as I would look if I was GM.

dreamingofdrouin*

price has come into his own...he has become the goalie wanted him to be and he's not just going to flame out in 4 years....he's the new marty brodeur and I believe he's got the longevity of brodeur as well. goalies have a later prime than players and can play later in their careers than players. fucale will be a nice trade chip like halak was.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Fucale has another year in the QMJHL.
Then he will have 2 years to develop in the AHL.
He'll back up Price for a year or two.

Price will still be young for a goalie about 31-32 when Fucale is ready to be a starter. That's when you identify which goalie you want to go with and who you want to trade.

So the problem holds no weight for a very long time.

exactly, ..this isnt REMOTELy a "problem" for at least 6 years, and 6 years is a long time, when carey won gold in world junior it was 2007, its 2014 and he just won olympic gold, thats a looong time in between surprisingly to give you an idea of how long 6 years is and how many things can happen in between, were lucky price is still a hab at all

in 4 years when he's backing up price, it should be a real treat for zach, and we should be one of the more solid goaltending tandems (if you can even call it that lol) in the NHL

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't see it as a problem and it is a "problem" that is pretty far down the road and a lot can change in 4-5 years from now.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Fucale is there in case Price pulls a Theodore.
Much like Price was there when Theodore pulled a Theodore.

Theodore is not even the fraction of the goalie Price is, he was like Jim Carrey of Washington, burnt up like a dry piece of cedar, Price is as solid as oak

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Fucale will be ready to take over in about 6yrs, but will he be able to de-throne Price?? Time will tell

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Let's discuss the predicament when Fucale actually breaks into the NHL. Until then, wait and see how he develops. Or use him as bargaining chip in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad