Speculation: Price/Miller swap?

PricePkPatch*

Miller for Price straight up would be stupid

But Vanek in the balance would be incredible.. Miller is still a solid goalie for a little while, but I don't want to bet everything on Fucale being ready in 2 years. I'd rather wait 5-6 years for him to develop.

Fifthgear

Nov 15, 2007
Montréal
68376afeb7e102be525c463982b58971.600x

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
Miller for Price straight up would be stupid

But Vanek in the balance would be incredible.. Miller is still a solid goalie for a little while, but I don't want to bet everything on Fucale being ready in 2 years. I'd rather wait 5-6 years for him to develop.

Yeah, i would be more interested if say Miller was signed a few more years, and was a few years younger. But at 33 and in his last year of contract, it's a definite no-go for me. I still think he's a great goalie, and probably a more focused goalie than Price, but the timing is all wrong.

PricePkPatch*

Yeah, i would be more interested if say Miller was signed a few more years, and was a few years younger. But at 33 and in his last year of contract, it's a definite no-go for me. I still think he's a great goalie, and probably a more focused goalie than Price, but the timing is all wrong.

Let's do a tought experiment for a minute..

Let's say we DO get Vanek, and we DO re-sign him long term. What would be our goalie option in the next 2-3 years? Is there any solid goalie coming UFA or available for trade?

Maybe we could try to acquire Subban? :naughty:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I don't know what kind of world some people live in, but it's not reality. Why do people think Price is worth a ton on the trade market? The guy just signed a huge contract and is coming off his worst year. Very shaky, easily rattled, no stellar stats, nothing exciting about Price right now. He's not an appealing goaltender of the future until he proves something. And no, junior level doesn't count. Price for Miller straight up is all we'd get.
Would you be in for a shock if Price were put on the market!

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
Let's do a tought experiment for a minute..

Let's say we DO get Vanek, and we DO re-sign him long term. What would be our goalie option in the next 2-3 years? Is there any solid goalie coming UFA or available for trade?

Maybe we could try to acquire Subban? :naughty:

You know it's definitely all very intriguing. This is probably the first year where i've felt that maybe Price is not part of the elite or potential elite i should say. Drafting Fucale was a move that says to me that Bergevin believes a bit the same. Price will always be a very good goalie, i have no doubt of that. What it really comes down to now is whether or not he has the ability to take a good team the extra mile.

It would be really gutsy to move Price. It would have to happen very soon, before he strings together a couple of so-so seasons. Unfortunately, you'd need a perfect storm for a trade like that to happen.

You'd need a team that:

A) has a very good goalie to trade back to us (because Fucale is far from ready)
B) has a goalie who's at the tail-end pf his career (otherwise why trade him?)
C) Has enough cap-sapce to take on Price's contract.
D) has a goalie who's contract is not expiring for awhile (there's no guarantee we'd re-sign him otherwise).

Basically, we'd need to get back a goalie who could hold down the fort for a minimum of three seasons (4 would be better), and who's talent and intangibles match up with Price to certain extent.

After looking through the teams i came up with one scenario. Niklas Backstrom. When you look at his age you think immediately, no way in hell. But when you look at his track record, you realize that this guy has been as steady as it gets in the NHL. Last year he came back stronger than ever, playing in 42 of team's 48 games. Minnesota also doesn't exactly have great depth that i'm aware of at goalie, so a trade for a younger proven no.1 kind of makes sense. The trouble is that Minneosta so also up against the cap, so a lot of shuffling would have to be done.

Clearly we'd be giving away the better piece in the deal, so a 1st round pick+ would be required.

Anyways just having a bit of fun here, but you can see that the options (as far as i can see) are pretty limited when it comes to potentially dealing Price.

PricePkPatch*

Thx for the indulgement, Markowicz. It's those kind of posts that are the most interesting in this inter-season :yo:

Actually, I was wondering who, in the next 2-3 years, will be available to trade US a goalie, if we did pulled the trigger on the Vanek-Miller/Price trade?

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
Thx for the indulgement, Markowicz. It's those kind of posts that are the most interesting in this inter-season :yo:

Actually, I was wondering who, in the next 2-3 years, will be available to trade US a goalie, if we did pulled the trigger on the Vanek-Miller/Price trade?

Honestly, Buffalo would never go for that trade, so no point even going there. Not only that, but the numbers dont add up, we cant take on that much salary.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The Montreal media would enjoy Ryan Miller that's for sure, but would MB enjoy Ryan Miller in the Montreal media?

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Price for Miller lol

FeaturedImage

Would extend our team identity to our one anomalous position...

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
No way. Once Price finds his game people will see that he is amazing.

He better find it soon. Changed my username from ForgivemePrice to LastChancePrice , and if he dont deliver it will be GetOutPrice! ;).

Why i change it? Because i saw good thing 2 years ago from Price, and i tough , yeah, finally, hes becoming something. But i think he regress from two years ago. Waite better put him back on track.

So he better delivered so i can change my username to ForgivemeAgainPrice! :D

Arctic_Hab_Fan

May 28, 2007
I wouldn't trade Carey Price for Ryan Miller but Price should not be an untouchable, he has proven to be mentally weak and isn't very athletic. Carey Prices' playoff record is not an accident nor an anomoly, he can't deal with the pressure.

I don't know of any goalie who early in his career was horrible in the playoffs and turned it around later in his career, if one can find find please share :)

Another scenerio could be, Price is playing too many games in a single year and is worn down by the end of the season and into the playoffs. I hope that is the case but again, Price has not delivered and has been vastly underwhelming.

RustySpoon

Jul 2, 2013
Montreal
No, please no. I'm not for trading Price, but even if I was, this would be an horrendous deal

1. Don't trade Price within your own division, that's just suicidal
2. IF Vanek is included, they'd want much more than Price, and I'm not willing to let good prospects go. Plus, we're not even sure to keep him after his contract ends
3. I don't believe Ryan Miller is the type of guy/character/personality MB wants around his team. Plus, imho for the past two years he hasn't been the goalie he used to be

I'm proning patience in Price's case, and for trades in general, let the market settle down a bit more and let this wave of overpayment pass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad