News Article: Price comes in high

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I'm really not sure you're getting that.

For a soon-to-be 30 year old goaltender, coming with an history of severe knee injury, and a $9.0m+ per contract, for 8 years ? I say Calgary explore a lot of other options before paying that.

Quite possibly. What I suggested is the very most I expect from an interested team. It's all smoke and speculation by me. But I'd take that deal.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Not happening under Bergevin...unless a team overpays by A LOT.

Not only would Bergevin's brains fight against that conclusion, I'm not even sure Molson would allow it at this point. If you're trading Price, you're trading him this summer. Trading Price, only a year removed from the Subban deal ? That's PR suicide for the organization.

Has to be considered. You can't pay Price $10M, which is what he's going to be asking for after McJesus just got $13M.

Move him to a Western team, collect a couple of really nice young pieces and change the dynamic of the team.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Has to be considered. You can't pay Price $10M, which is what he's going to be asking for after McJesus just got $13M.

Move him to a Western team, collect a couple of really nice young pieces and change the dynamic of the team.

Good luck moving him after the whole league will know he's asking for 10+M...

Even if he's the best out there that's too much cash for a goalie IMO.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Absolutely guaranteed some team takes him for their playoff run and will give up a blue chipper at minimum to do so.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think the Habs are going to get what we think we will get if we trade Price. His next contract will be massive and everybody knows goaltenders are easier to find in the NHL. The difference between some of the best goalies in the NHL and the "mid tier" goalies is sometimes a different team.

- Look at Dubnyk for example. Just 4 seasons ago, he was playing on our AHL team. Playing on a different team with a good defense has turned him into a superstar.

- Look at Bishop. Stars got themselves a very good goaltender and they also picked up Methot. Hard to say if he gets to be the same goalie he was with Tampa as their D was pretty good too.

- Look at Smith. He's going to be awesome with the Flames and that defense.

Habs fans need to accept the fact we are going to sign our goaltender to a $9M+ AAV contract. In 5 years, the rest of the league will catch up and there will be many other contracts paying goaltenders above $7M.

How much to you think Bobrovsky gets when he's a UFA at the age of 30? It's going to be something real close to what Price gets.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Price is the team and he can ask for the moon and what choice does Lloyd Christmas have? We don't have the center/forward talent of other teams and we rely way too much on Price to win us games 2-1 and I am willing to bet that he is not taking a hometown discount, he saw Subban get 9 million and you can rest assured that he will ask for 10-12 million per year take it or leave it. Bergevin has handcuffed himself when it comes to Price and he has to make a very tough decision about the direction of his franchise. When I see the new deals around the league it convinces me that Price(if he stays) is going to be a big part of the habs salary cap, take it or leave it.:laugh:

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Price is the team and he can ask for the moon and what choice does Lloyd Christmas have? We don't have the center/forward talent of other teams and we rely way too much on Price to win us games 2-1 and I am willing to bet that he is not taking a hometown discount, he saw Subban get 9 million and you can rest assured that he will ask for 10-12 million per year take it or leave it. Bergevin has handcuffed himself when it comes to Price and he has to make a very tough decision about the direction of his franchise. When I see the new deals around the league it convinces me that Price(if he stays) is going to be a big part of the habs salary cap, take it or leave it.:laugh:

I could see $10.0m per, but there's no-way Bergevin goes higher in my opinion.
...and if Bergevin isn't willing to go higher, I don't see any other GMs doing it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I could see $10.0m per, but there's no-way Bergevin goes higher in my opinion.
...and if Bergevin isn't willing to go higher, I don't see any other GMs doing it.

Bergevin has no leverage here. He pays him or he loses Price in one year. Like you said, nobody pays him north of $10M. That scares away pretty much every NHL team. I suspect there will be some teams interested, but the return value we get will be reduces to levels where Habs fans set the streets on fire in Montreal!

Cross your fingers Price is willing to take around $9M+ but not higher than $10M

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co

idk, I think you'd be surprised who would want him. An American team that desperately wants to make the playoffs on a consistent basis would be very interested I would think. Price has the ability to carry team's consistently to the playoffs.

Some owner might like the idea of making the playoffs almost every year.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Love Price but you why pay 9M$ for a goalie when you can have similar result with one that would cost 5 or 6M$. The only question is there a other goalie available or is their a team willing to pay for that up grade because if your losing him for free might has well sign him...

giphy.gif

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Bergevin has no leverage here. He pays him or he loses Price in one year. Like you said, nobody pays him north of $10M. That scares away pretty much every NHL team. I suspect there will be some teams interested, but the return value we get will be reduces to levels where Habs fans set the streets on fire in Montreal!

Cross your fingers Price is willing to take around $9M+ but not higher than $10M

I'm not saying he has any leverage, I agree with the notion that Bergevin painted himself into a corner when it comes to Price. If I'm Price's agent, I have no problem telling Bergevin: "So, you said numerous times that as long as my client is on the team, you have a shot at the Stanley Cup...so what's a Cup worth to you ?"

So he has absolutely no leverage when it comes to contract negotiations with Price. Doesn't mean he has to re-sign him though. If Price asks for more than $10.0m per, I think Bergevin trades him (because there's also no-way he lets him walk as a free agent). And I'm really not a fan of Bergevin, so I'm not trying to defend him in any way. But I just can't see him bite to an $11.0m or $12.0m contract.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not saying he has any leverage, I agree with the notion that Bergevin painted himself into a corner when it comes to Price. If I'm Price's agent, I have no problem telling Bergevin: "So, you said numerous times that as long as my client is on the team, you have a shot at the Stanley Cup...so what's a Cup worth to you ?"

So he has absolutely no leverage when it comes to contract negotiations with Price. Doesn't mean he has to re-sign him though. If Price asks for more than $10.0m per, I think Bergevin trades him (because there's also no-way he lets him walk as a free agent). And I'm really not a fan of Bergevin, so I'm not trying to defend him in any way. But I just can't see him bite to an $11.0m or $12.0m contract.

I don't see Price asking for more AAV than Toews or Kane. $9M AAV seems right to me. Lets just hope it don't drag on all summer because the distraction of no contract extension for Price heading into next season won't be nice.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Im pretty sure what goes on in Bargainbin's brain is Price = playoffs = i keep job = must sign him at any cost

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Im pretty sure what goes on in Bargainbin's brain is Price = playoffs = i keep job = must sign him at any cost

I 100% agree with the bolded part.
Which is also why I believe Bergevin is probably the only GM willing to reach the $10.0m AAV mark for someone like Price (in which case, I think a 6-year deal is more probable than 8).

But at $11.0m or $12.0m per...even Bergevin moves on.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I don't believe so. I honestly think Bergevin is working hard at improving our team and will make any move necessary without costing our future. Look at our contract negotiations with Radulov and Markov. Not sure if I agree or not with the negotiation tactics but he's played hard ball for sure!

You may not like his management, how he looks through the media, or what he says in front of cameras, but this GM is not afraid of doing his job.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don't believe so. I honestly think Bergevin is working hard at improving our team and will make any move necessary without costing our future. Look at our contract negotiations with Radulov and Markov. Not sure if I agree or not with the negotiation tactics but he's played hard ball for sure!

You may not like his management, how he looks through the media, or what he says in front of cameras, but this GM is not afraid of doing his job.

I was being facetious.

That much should've been obvious.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I really wonder where you guys exist. I've never met a single Habs fan in my life who thinks Price should move on. Not one. I think it's a classic case of trying too hard to be different and smarter than other people here.

I still remember Souray walking for free.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Maybe Price will be traded to Colorado for a backup goalie and a couple of 3rd liners

One can hope. I mean clearly the game has changed SOOO much from 1995 that goalies have no influence and are never remembered for their stellar Cup winning performances on teams that already had lots of fire power.

I remember the days when it was just impossible to fathom anyone stepping into St. Patty's skates. We're way too used to how lucky we are.

Also, I don't know where this $12M is coming from. Then again...is he worth 2 x Markovs :sarcasm:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
If Radulov walks then I don't know if Price will be a hab after his contract.

Clearly MB has a line in the sand he isn't going to cross. He isn't crossing it for Radu, he isn't crossing it for Markov and I think he will do the same with Price.

Where is that line for MB? Can't say I know. I agree with those saying MB and Molson know that Price = playoffs so they want to keep him here. But there is a threshold and so far it seems to me MB won't go past it.

Now if he signs Radu and Markov my opinion changes because it shows MB is willing to throw caution to the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad