Post-Game Talk: Prey

3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
That really helped Colorado, especially against Tampa.

I'd love to get home ice against NJ. I think we win the series regardless, but what an advantage it would be for us to have them walk into the Jungle for their first ever playoff game. That's how you demoralize an inexperienced team and finish them off quickly

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
we're close... Kid line still isn't there and Lindgren - Fox...

Hopefully this is the new normal.

If the Kid line gets it going like they were during their hot streak, it's possible the team could win the Cup.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
We did beat the Canes in the regular season last year, though. In Carolina.

That was the game we were absolutely dominated on the back to back and Georgiev of all people bailed us out 2-0. I was taking that into account when I said they owned us lol

Reactions: mas0764

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I don't think the kids were bad in the playoffs. I think they were a solid forechecking line that didn't score enough. That's what they always are as players and as a line. I reject the notion that it was some kind of huge elevation over their typical play.

With the other good lines we have this year, it shouldn't be a problem. We have 12 games left. We'll certainly lose and probably not look good a couple of times. When that happens, Gallant has to put his big boy pants on and not go back to the bullshit lines he feels safe with because he came up with them. You're a professional coach. Stop overreacting to losses. We've scored like 300 goals and given up four since he flipped Panarin and Kreider. These are the lines we should be playing.

Another problem last year (and another bit of good news) was Kevin Rooney. Right as we were losing momentum against Tampa and couldn't make a mistake, that's when Sniffus Erectus decided to put in a guy that makes a mistake every time he touches the puck. The good news is, I don't think the temptation is there this year of a "reliable vet" that he's going to feel an itch to put in. Lewhatshisface is not that.

If he sticks with these lines, we'll be a lot better in the playoffs than we were last year.
but the team scored at an absurd rate with them on the ice, and moreover, they were driving xGF better than every line... I get you broader point about whether the line actually works, and the large body of work suggests 'kind of' at best, but they definitely did everything you say they didn't do in that playoff run. They controlled play, they dominated goal differential, and they did so primarily by driving actual goals better than any other line combo by a significant margin--which, given the larger body of work for that line, was precisely 'a huge elevation over their typical play.'

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
With Svech out for the year, I can't see the Devils NOT passing the Canes. So, I'm thinking it is more likely the Canes.

Carolina has a really tough stretch of games over their next 5 (NYR twice, then Toronto, Boston, and Tampa) but after that their schedule is a cupcake (Detroit twice, Ottawa twice, Habs, Isles, Preds, Sabres, and Panthers). There are still a lot of easy points for them to pick up. I wouldn't be surprised if they held on.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
With Svech out for the year, I can't see the Devils NOT passing the Canes. So, I'm thinking it is more likely the Canes.
This is exactly why I’m eager to see how we do tomorrow/Thursday. They’re both huge measuring stick games for this squad, and they need to show they can play a similar style against a tougher opponent.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Rangers also did it to open the playoffs in '94 against the Isles.
The Rangers got to the conference finals that year with a record of 8-1. It felt to everyone like they finally were going to be able to do it. The Devils were a pain in the ass, as was Kirk McLean...

Reactions: Boris Zubov

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
This is exactly why I’m eager to see how we do tomorrow/Thursday. They’re both huge measuring stick games for this squad, and they need to show they can play a similar style against a tougher opponent.

The next 2 games are a measuring stick for Carolina, not us. We've already handily beaten them twice pre-deadline and just did a Harlem Globetrotters impression on 2 teams "allegedly" in the playoff race, over the weekend. Show us what you got Candy Canes because right now they are looking like lunch.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Could of been a very different game if Halak didn't bail them out early in the 1st.

Halak.
Halak.
Miller.
Huh? Yeah it would have been 7-1. Bail them out... lol. I'm convinced that many of you are waiting for the Rangers team that will never exist in reality.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Just caught up and I’m watching a recording of the game now.

zoolander-models.gif

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Can I take something from them beating Pitt 6-0 the night before?
Pitt looks like a mess. Their goaltending is falling apart and they look in disarray. I think a big part of that is they couldn't adjust to the puck tempo we played with. Regardless it is always fun to beat pitt

Reactions: FUZfan

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
He's climbing the top Rangers centers of all time list.
Deservedly so. Despite the influx of Panarin, Kane, Tank, growth of the kids, Shesterkin, Fox, etc, he’s still the best player on the team.

I don’t care what the rest of the forum says, I’d take Zib over most other players in general. He does things right even when he doesn’t score.

Reactions: Greg02

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The next 2 games are a measuring stick for Carolina, not us. We've already handily beaten them twice pre-deadline and just did a Harlem Globetrotters impression on 2 teams "allegedly" in the playoff race, over the weekend. Show us what you got Candy Canes because right now they are looking like lunch.
Beating them would really help us in the long run. They are a very good team but I would much rather face them in the 1st round than the Devils. We can beat anybody but it's just a better matchup for the Rangers facing Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad