Movies: Prey (Predator prequel)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There were some plot holes in Prey that might have been explained if it was a bit longer. That said, I appreciated how "tight" it was. It was almost like a snapshot in time that chipped away a bit at the history of the Yautja's presence on earth over the centuries. We learn a bit more about their culture as well as who/what they deem worthy as "prey." To me this is a great template for future films in the series.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Film criticism (or any criticism really) has to come from a place of at least serious consideration. I like it or I don't like it - not really a value add to a movie discussion but also not objectionable. You say Prey is a movie you don't like? Fine I have no issue with that. Enjoyment is 100% a matter of taste and there are a lot of reasons why a movie may fall flat for an individual that isn't necessarily a problem with the film itself. An example I'll give is the Lighthouse. That is a movie that I have so much respect for everything that went into it - the acting, the dialogue, the directing, the story, the cinematography - but the movie 100% falls flat for me on a base "did I enjoy this" level. I recognize it's not a fault of the movie and importantly it's not a fault with me. I just didn't like it and that's fine. I can still appreciate the craft that went into making it, though.

But if you're talking about something to do with the craft of filming - be it pacing, cinematography, sound design, whatever - I require a bit more meat than "it was slow." This is especially true because the movie is like 91 minutes long and *very* tightly plotted. There's not a B-story in this movie. So what is it about the A story that is slow to you?

It's pacing is probably its biggest strength in an era where every sequel or franchise film seems to be upping the stakes to absurd levels (be it destruction of a city, country, world, universe, or indeed multiverse).* This story was about one person surviving. It establishes how she uses her skills and knowledge and abilities to defeat a more fearsome foe. For every "slow moment", it is something that is later paid off. Without getting into spoilers I can't think of a single frame of this movie that doesn't directly serve the overall story - from her knowledge of herbs to her knowledge of her landscape to how she solves problems (in a way that is at odds with how most of her tribe views them). And that f***ing rocks.

*side note: Maybe my favorite thing about EEAAO is how it turns this expectation on its head by appearing at first to be about something with insanely high stakes but was actually about the relationship of a mother and daughter
Dude I’m with you. I thought the first third of it did a great job building characters and made me invest in it. Didn’t find it slow at all.

I also get people disagree with that. I just don’t understand why people act like it’s and affront to God to have a different opinion. To me that was a great movie and I had no issues with the pacing.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I thought it was pretty good. I didnt find it slow at all. I really enjoyed cinematography. Some really cool shots. I also thought it was bad ass that the Predator would go toe-to-toe with other predators. It would dumb down it's technology to make it a fair fight, which shows us it was all about the competition of the hunt.

It broke its own rule at the end by using the laser guided projectile in a fight where its foe wasnt using guns, and ultimately paid the price.

Not a great ending, though. Seemed like a dumb move for the Predator to use the laser guided projectile when it knew it wouldn't hit her, but maybe that was its last ditch F you.

Reactions: tacogeoff

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
How was it established in Predator? It was basically "are they holding a weapon" right?

I'm wondering if a) the Predator was startled, or b) the act of having convincing camo from his sensors is enough of a factor to make him a threat?

But yeah - the scene is used to show us the efficacy of the herb on his heat vision, but I think it leaves if not a plot hole at least an unexplained narrative thread.
In their Honor code, playing dead is considered dishonorable. Killing dishonoured prey is akin to weeding out weak prey to make room for stronger prey. Or its sometimes a case of smashing a particularly annoying bug.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think that what people mean is that the first half is slow compared to the original, and that's true. Predator is engaging right from the start. It has an awesome soundtrack that starts during the opening credits, a bunch of interesting characters to get to know, the mystery of what happened to the cabinet minister and his team, a big firefight and the mystery of what the alien looks like and what its motives and capabilities are. Prey has a more subdued and less memorable soundtrack, fewer and less interesting characters, not a lot of dialogue, very little action early on, nothing surprising in the first half and no mystery because we know what the alien looks like, what it's doing there and more or less what its capabilities are. The last few are hardly its fault and some of the others might not ordinarily be criticisms, but people are inevitably going to compare it to the original. I think that both arguments have validity. It's not slow as movies in general go, but I see why people might call it that compared to other Predator movies.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Great movie. Did not find the beginning slow at all, if anything i found it interesting. Predator 2 was the last of the series i had watched. I tried to get into the AvsP series but it wasn't for me.

The only thing that annoyed me was when Naru told her brother that she wasn't attacked by the Yautja bc she was stuck in a trap and not a threat.......but the Yautja proceeds to kill the injured french guy with one leg on the ground that was playing dead lol.

besides that little nit pick it was a very fun popcorn movie to watch. 8/10 easily. Went in expecting not much but was pleasantly surprised.

Because he stepped on him and the French guy screamed out, so he was automatically stabbed. Probably just a gut reaction from the Predator.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I thought it was decent. Probably a 7 out of 10 movie for me.

I would rank it 4th behind the first 2 and Predators.

The 2018 one was hilarious. I mean that was a troll job right?

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I watched it last night and I really enjoyed it. The Predator in this timeline just works so well. I’m glad they had him go up against Native Americans while also including the French fur trappers to add some real historical aspect to the movie. I would say this is the 2nd best movie behind the original for sure. There was so many good things about this movie to really type out , it wasn’t some master piece that will win awards but it’s so much better than alot of the other action/sci-fi movies that have came out the last decade or so. Hollywood loves to make sequels/prequels/reboots that tarnish the franchise but this is one that did not manage to do that what so ever. I’d give this movie a 7.5 out of 10 , its worth watching 100%.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Fun Facts

Is there a direct connection between Prey and Predator?
There is, of course, a First Nations link: mercenary Billy Sole, played by Sonny Landham, was part-Sioux. Trachtenberg won’t be drawn on whether there’s a direct connection with the character (‘We'll find out if there's any further link’, he teases), but says that Sole was a major inspiration for Prey. ‘My friends went to see Predator and told me about the scene in which Billy fights the Predator on a bridge over a waterfall. But when I saw the movie, that wasn’t in it, and I wanted to see that movie. Spiritually, Prey is connected to that moment.’

Will there be another Predator movie after Prey?
Very possibly. 'There are a lot of exciting ideas for what could be next for the franchise,’ says Trachtenberg. ‘The things that most excite me are the boldest swings and I think there's scope to do other things that haven't been done before.' Predator in Bridgerton, anyone?

Reactions: MAHJ71

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Phenomenal. It's hard to make a real 1:1 comparison between Predator (1) and Prey due to their substantially different tones and aesthetics, and both movies absolutely excel at what they're trying to do, but there's a good argument to be made that this is the best in the franchise. Certainly no worse than being the second best behind the original.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
The only thing that annoyed me was when Naru told her brother that she wasn't attacked by the Yautja bc she was stuck in a trap and not a threat.......but the Yautja proceeds to kill the injured french guy with one leg on the ground that was playing dead lol.
I don't see a huge similarity. Playing dead is almost a form of camouflage, in the sense you could use it to surprise attack someone. Even if the guy's wounded, it still quite easily falls under the category of deception,. There's nothing deceptive about being stuck in a trap. It's exactly what it is.

He definitely seemed over confident and or/incompetent at times.
Well hey, even for a race that's been around for as long as they have, there's still room for improvement over the next 300 years. But more than that, being a race and not just a singular creation, it would make sense that not all of them are on the same level.

Reactions: Hivemind

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I've not watched anything in the Predator universe since Predator 2. Based on the good reviews I think I'll be giving this one a view.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I did really enjoy it, however I wish there was a bit more character building past Naru and her brother to an extent.

I want a few characters with some personality outside of 1-2 characters in a Predator movie

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Just saw this. Aubrey Plaza was AMAZING in this movie. I think the last action scene where she slaughters the Predator tops the finale of Game of Thrones where Arya slays the White Walker. Highly recommended.

• Haha
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Just saw this. Aubrey Plaza was AMAZING in this movie. I think the last action scene where she slaughters the Predator tops the finale of Game of Thrones where Arya slays the White Walker. Highly recommended.
I came here to say I enjoyed the movie and was going to comment how the main character gave me huge Aubrey Plaza vibes.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Loved it. I had to get over native Americans speaking English w/o even so much of an accent but other than that great movie. Not sure why people are saying it had a slow start. I guess if it’s not a marvel movie action scene to start the movie it’s “slow”?

This is pretty standard actual. Don't know if I've seen it in a movie before but I've seen it in theatre a few times . The idea is when you have a cast who's primary language is x and the audience is x but the language being spoken in the story is y, rather than have the actors attempt to speak y or speak x with a bad accent just have them speak x fluently as a substitute for y. There isn't much of a counterpoint in Prey, but you'll notice when french trapper speaks to her in 'Commanche' he's speaking English in a rough accent, even though that actor would be perfectly capable of speaking clean English.

Anyways, I'm not up at all on the Predator franchise but being a big fan of the original thought this one was great. This was a really great setting to make a Predator movie in.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
He definitely seemed over confident and or/incompetent at times.
Most Yautja, especially younger blooded ones, are usually over confident. Yautja society is super competitive and super violent. Younger Yautja have a high mortality rate due to the risks they take to prove themselves to gain prestige and honor. While members of the species can live for thousands of years, alot die very early on in life as unblooded and shortly after completing their trials and becoming blooded.

Reactions: MAHJ71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I've not watched anything in the Predator universe since Predator 2. Based on the good reviews I think I'll be giving this one a view.
Finally got around to watching it.

I enjoyed it. Didn't find it slow. Would watch a similar follow up if they made one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad