Movies: Prey (Predator prequel)

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
GET TO DA CHOPPA

I'm there in a f***ing minute and I'm getting blasted beforehand.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The trailer definitely looks promising, especially for a Hulu movie. Director Dan Trachtenberg's only other movie (10 Cloverfield Lane) is rock solid, so I'm optimistic about Prey.

I know the series has been around for 35 years and has basically been on life support for 90% of those, but it would nice to see the Predator franchise get another strong film. 2012's Predators was a strong entry, but 2018's The Predator? Pee-yew! I can't believe after three strong writer-director outings (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man 3, The Nice Guys), Shane Black gave us that.

Reactions: Hasbro

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Looks fun. Don't have high hopes that it will actually be good. But fun at least.

I was reading that they'll have a dubbed version (with all the actors doing the lines) and a subtitled version in the language that the characters would have actually been speaking.

Not quite as cool as if they had just filmed the movie entirely in Comanche, but still pretty neat.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was reading that they'll have a dubbed version (with all the actors doing the lines) and a subtitled version in the language that the characters would have actually been speaking.

Not quite as cool as if they had just filmed the movie entirely in Comanche, but still pretty neat.

That is neat and I might just watch that subtitled version, since I was distracted and put off by the perfect English in the trailer. Mel Gibson has spoiled these types of movies for me. :laugh:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Comanche were so freaking cool. They deserve their own movie without some stupid alien.

Speaking of the Comanche, i didn't see any/many horses in these clips which makes me think using them is just some Hollywood nonsense instead of making their inclusion actually relevant to anything. These people were a lot like the Dothraki from GoT. The best and deadliest horse riders in Central North America. Legendary warriors with a bow and did things on horseback no one else could. They were the reason the Texas Rangers had to be created and CMIIW but the repeater pistol was invented to help combat them.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
The trailer definitely looks promising, especially for a Hulu movie. Director Dan Trachtenberg's only other movie (10 Cloverfield Lane) is rock solid, so I'm optimistic about Prey.

I know the series has been around for 35 years and has basically been on life support for 90% of those, but it would nice to see the Predator franchise get another strong film. 2012's Predators was a strong entry, but 2018's The Predator? Pee-yew! I can't believe after three strong writer-director outings (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man 3, The Nice Guys), Shane Black gave us that.
Shane Black is a bit of a hack. He does have some good hits under his writing belt, but also a bunch of stinkers.

This franchise definitely needs a fresh new take on it.
Shame that there are cool pieces floating around, like Arnold voicing Dutch's post-1987 diary in the latest game, but nothing decent on the screen.
Hoping this is worth a watch.

Reactions: shadow1

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Speaking of the Comanche, i didn't see any/many horses in these clips which makes me think using them is just some Hollywood nonsense instead of making their inclusion actually relevant to anything. These people were a lot like the Dothraki from GoT. The best and deadliest horse riders in Central North America. Legendary warriors with a bow and did things on horseback no one else could. They were the reason the Texas Rangers had to be created and CMIIW but the repeater pistol was invented to help combat them.

Some history lesson:

When Christopher Columbus brought two dozen Andalousian horses on his second voyage to the New World in 1493, he couldn’t have imagined how reintroducing the horse to North America would transform Native American life, especially for the buffalo-hunting Plains Indians, for whom the swift and loyal horse was a marriage made in heaven.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The Comanche were so freaking cool. They deserve their own movie without some stupid alien.

Horses would also probably be very much a negative against a Predator. Horses are not known for their stealth.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
This was a pretty good movie for free if you're already subscribed. If not, "it's out there" (Disney+ outside of US).
Beats the crap out of that hack Shane Black's garbage The Predator that made it into theatres.

Not without its flaws, and maybe a bit slow at the start, but holy heck did this franchise need a boost in the worst way.
I hope the sequel doesn't go full weaponized autism like the previous one.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I did not realize this is already on D+, was surprised when I saw it on there last night.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I thought that it was rather derivative and silly. It recycles a lot from the 1987 original, even some of the lines of dialogue. Its version of the "mud trick" was completely unbelievable. The lead character is self centered and unlikable and runs around the forest doing parkour like a ninja. The predator also doesn't act much like its species and even gets outsmarted with its own technology by the native girl. Overall, I didn't find it very suspenseful or engaging. On the bright side, I liked the scenery and production, the violence wasn't watered down, it was neat to listen to it dubbed in Comanche and it was still better than the 2018 movie.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
my thoughts exactly lol

no wonder they didn't trust him with a laser cannon
Yeah, without delving too much into spoiler territory I'm under the distinct impression that this might have been their version of Sloth from The Goonies or Bizarro Superman.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
No complaints from me. I watched it thinking I'd be entertained and I certainly was. Great action and cinematography. Would not mind more Predator movies set in specific time periods tbh, was pretty awesome to see.
especially happy the dog didnt die :laugh: i was waiting for that to come but he turned out to be the MVP

Reactions: Kelly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad