Post-Game Talk: Pretty, pretty, preeeeeety good

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
We got a shutout and won the cup but only scored 1 goal smh this team is trash 1st overall next season

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I have such a love/hate relationship with Nyquist and Tatar. When they're on their game, they're a lot of fun to watch. When they're off their game, it's just pitiful. Watching Tatar lose pucks left and right and fall over on his own. Nyquist get pushed off the puck over and over... ever notice that any time he's within a couple feet of the boards it's a certain turnover? He's got to be the worst player on the boards I've ever seen.

I really wish they would find other ways to be useful to their team. Tatar used to start **** in scrums. What happened to that? Nyquist backchecks pretty well now and then but he'll never be a Selke winner.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Do you have comprehension issues? I said our team has issues that need resolving and a W shouldnt be celebrated so hard given how we have been playing.

It's the regular season not even the president trophy winners play every single game perfect. Every win perfect

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Hahaha yeah okay. Lets see how you like us scoring a goal a game is going to take us really far. Glad your okay with falling over the line and grinding out a 1-0 win.

Guess what. We dont have a strong enough defence or goaltenders to make that work long term. We need offence.

We played NJDs, you can't win other than 1-0/2-1 vs them.
I am more than happy with this win. It is a big win. We were tied with them in points, it was a 4 point game.
They beat us last time at home 4-3 and on the road 3-2 OT, when we had a 2-0 lead.
4-1 or 5-2 might be better, but it is NJDs.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Happy with the two points. But after bad losses to Winnipeg and Pittsburgh it'd be nice to see more goals. Thank the stars for Petr Mrazek (and Howard to a lesser extent), we're not winning many games scoring only 1 or 2 goals without him.

People say we are a bad team and we rely too much on goaltending.
Well where would the caps, cats, Habs, Rangers and Devils be without great/solid goaltending?

Last edited:

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
Better game. Still need to learn how to put pucks in the net though. As we have seen they can't win 1 goal games every night.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Doesn't seem like I missed much of a game. Even the highlights were REALLY boring. Can't complain too much about a shutout win though. Anyone else feel like we are witnessing the torch being passed from Dats and Z to Larkin and Mrazek? These two kids are studs. Any line Larkin is on seems to be good, and if Mrazek finds just a tiny bit more consistency in his game-to-game performance he will be elite.

I have such a love/hate relationship with Nyquist and Tatar. When they're on their game, they're a lot of fun to watch. When they're off their game, it's just pitiful. Watching Tatar lose pucks left and right and fall over on his own. Nyquist get pushed off the puck over and over... ever notice that any time he's within a couple feet of the boards it's a certain turnover? He's got to be the worst player on the boards I've ever seen.

I really wish they would find other ways to be useful to their team. Tatar used to start **** in scrums. What happened to that? Nyquist backchecks pretty well now and then but he'll never be a Selke winner.
That's just how it goes with these scoring wingers. Sometimes you love 'em, sometimes you hate 'em. Nothing wrong with that really.

With Nyquist though I'm more concerned that he seems to have lost half a step or so. He simply doesn't look as quick as he did 2 years ago.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Do you have comprehension issues? I said our team has issues that need resolving and a W shouldnt be celebrated so hard given how we have been playing.

No, what you said was that in a game where 1 guy had a goal, 2 others had assists, and nobody got scored on all game, we still managed to be so bad overall that only 2 guys deserved meaningless stars on a home team fan forum.

Sorry but that's ridiculous. Try to have fun once in a while.

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
That play by Sheahan to cut behind the net and make a great pass to Richards really set that Larkin goal up nicely.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sheahan has been great as of late. I was expecting this to start the season, not sure why it took him so long to get going. He needs to work on consistency, because he really does have the ability to be a good player in this league.

Richards has been better lately, too. I really like his willingness to throw pucks on net, and he has a pretty hard shot so he seems to create rebounds a decent amount. Has a good amount of shots for how many minutes he's played.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
That play by Sheahan to cut behind the net and make a great pass to Richards really set that Larkin goal up nicely.

Larkin mentioned it in the post game report. It was a huge play.

Sheahan has been great as of late. I was expecting this to start the season, not sure why it took him so long to get going. He needs to work on consistency, because he really does have the ability to be a good player in this league.

Richards has been better lately, too. I really like his willingness to throw pucks on net, and he has a pretty hard shot so he seems to create rebounds a decent amount. Has a good amount of shots for how many minutes he's played.

Sheahan, Richards and Smith have been hot lately.

People says Z and Datsyuk Are not what they used to be. Z has 29 points. Kopitar has 30, Corsby 29, Teows 27. The points Are very hard to come by.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Imo he only struggled the first 10 games or so. After that he's been very good but the points have eluded him until lately.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Correction

Stamkos 29, Teows 25, Larkin 27 :naughty::naughty::naughty:

For the first time top 10 point getters Are from the west, it used to be from the East. And for the first time East wins vs West. Why?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What just kills me about Detroit is that if they had one #1 centerman they would be wildly better, even if that guy replaced either Z or D right now. Tatar and Larkin and Abdelkader and Nyquist are all right there just dying to score goals, and none of them are transcendent enough to do so without the pivot carrying some of that water... and D and Z just can't do it right now.

It seems like every time the Wings enter the zone the defense is man up on everyone because they know Detroit doesn't have anyone at center (or at wing) who can win many battles 1 on 1 in the open ice.

If there was someone on the dot who could suck the coverage in towards him even a half stride it would make such a huge difference on how the puck moves and where it could go, but there's just not right now.

Datsyuk's literally the age Larionov was in his second year in Detroit. He can't be that guy any more. Not fair to even expect it of him. Zetterberg has turned into a smaller Joe Thornton.

I think this is a good and interesting point. Dats and Z are still good and productive players, don't get me wrong, but I think Nyquist and Tatar would really benefit from playing with a skilled center that can keep up with their pace.

Larkin should be an ideal complement in time, he's just not there at the moment.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Who would have thought a win could cause so much animosity on these boards :laugh:

It was a boring game but overall I am happy about it. To some extent, the boys won an "ugly" game. Thats something all good teams do; they gut it out and find ways to win games.

I am also happy with the team defense. Sure the devils aren't a high powered offense but holding them to a 21 shots against is still a good outing.

In regard's to goaltending, I'd still expect many starts for Howard. We know the organization and we know they will limit Mrazek's opportunity in the name of cap control. Tad frustrating, buit we are still seeing Mrazek rise above as the go to guy.

Lastly, we shuffled our lines (for Sunday). The net result was a third line that continued to produce while we moved more talent into the top 6. Hopefully those guys can get going over the next week or so.

Was it a dull game? sure. Was it the best game we have played? of course not, but I still see a lot of positives.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I really wish they would find other ways to be useful to their team. Tatar used to start **** in scrums. What happened to that?

Yes. God please. I've mentioned this several times. His first real year in the NHL Tatar was a real puck hound. He was hard on that forecheck. He made some real hits, got real dirty and physical, battled hard. See how Darren Helm plays when he's forechecking? Tatar was that dogged except with more skill.

Now he's more perimeter. He does a lot of flybys. He does a lot of light body contact but not going right at the puck. It is infuriating because I know what he's capable of. 29 goals is great. He could be better than that if he played it harder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad