Post-Game Talk: Pretty, pretty, preeeeeety good

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Mrazek
Larkin
Nobody.

I couldnt give anyone on the team a star bar those two. Mrazek for his excellent game. Larkin because beautiful GWG.

Something seriously needs to shake this team up. Because we are going nowhere unless Nyquist/Tatar/Datsyuk/Zetterberg really step up to that level they are capable of. Ztterbergs struggles are real. Datsyuk seems to fall over more than hes on his feet. Nyquist is actually probably the worst of the lot. Should have traded him while his value was sky high. Bloke crashed down to earth last year and is continuing his downward trend.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I missed the last line. Maybe others did too so its fair to say not all that didn't vote "yes" are "no's"

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Pretty boring game, but I'll take a boring win over an exciting loss any day of the week. Good to beat a team close to us in the Standings.

Mrazek has solidified himself as the clear-cut, starting goalie. Give him 75% of the starts please, if not more.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
We are now tied with MTL in points (albeit still 3rd due to having 1 less ROW). If Ottawa loses tonight there's a 5 point separation between us and being out of the playoffs with Tampa only having 1 game in hand.

Boston has 3 games in hand on us however and they are only 3 points back. Next few games are huge for us; ideally we'll create some separation between us and the wildcard spot through winning and Boston dropping a couple of their next few games. They play Washington, NJ, Ottawa, and the Rangers over the next 4 games so... We'll see but thr Wings are in a good spot right now.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Mrazek
Larkin
Nobody.

I couldnt give anyone on the team a star bar those two. Mrazek for his excellent game. Larkin because beautiful GWG.

Something seriously needs to shake this team up. Because we are going nowhere unless Nyquist/Tatar/Datsyuk/Zetterberg really step up to that level they are capable of. Ztterbergs struggles are real. Datsyuk seems to fall over more than hes on his feet. Nyquist is actually probably the worst of the lot. Should have traded him while his value was sky high. Bloke crashed down to earth last year and is continuing his downward trend.

Jesus.

Nobody on the team got scored against all game.

Sorry that's not enough for you.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Wow ended up being a 1-0 win? So just pretty good not realgud win? So did hell freeze over? No 3rd period meltdown and our goalies can get a shutout for once.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Pretty boring game. Have noticed Richards playing much better recently. Gustav has become Ghostav. Gonna need to step up out west

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Jesus.

Nobody on the team got scored against all game.

Sorry that's not enough for you.

Hahaha yeah okay. Lets see how you like us scoring a goal a game is going to take us really far. Glad your okay with falling over the line and grinding out a 1-0 win.

Guess what. We dont have a strong enough defence or goaltenders to make that work long term. We need offence.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Hahaha yeah okay. Lets see how you like us scoring a goal a game is going to take us really far. Glad your okay with falling over the line and grinding out a 1-0 win.

Guess what. We dont have a strong enough defence or goaltenders to make that work long term. We need offence.

A win is a win. NJ is a solid defensive team. Scneider is a solid goalie. We scored 4 goals two days ago. We are not always going to score 4 goals a game. Winning close 1-0 and 2-1 games is a skill that is invaluable for the playoffs. We didn't give up the lead in the 3rd.

Come on.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

Yea let's see us finish every game leading 1-0 and see how well that works out for us.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

tough crowd

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
What a boring game, was half hoping NJ would tie it up to get some overtime. Glad they got the 2 points though

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Well my bad. Didnt realise everyone would be ecstatic with such a boring poor display of a hockey game. I guess all that matters is the W to you blokes.

Me? I'd rather see our team play in a winning fashion and lose than rely on an outstanding game from Mrazek being the only difference between a W and a L. Being in the bottom 1/2 of hte table for GF/G is not the place you want to be. Because at the end of the day, if you play a winning style, you are going to do better in the long run than winning when you shouldnt.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Well my bad. Didnt realise everyone would be ecstatic with such a boring poor display of a hockey game. I guess all that matters is the W to you blokes.

Me? I'd rather see our team play in a winning fashion and lose than rely on an outstanding game from Mrazek being the only difference between a W and a L. Being in the bottom 1/2 of hte table for GF/G is not the place you want to be. Because at the end of the day, if you play a winning style, you are going to do better in the long run than winning when you shouldnt.

Mrazek faced 22 shots. He didn't stand on his head.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013

It may have been a boring game, but we disagree in what we define as poor hockey. However, we did get the W and at this point in the regular season that is all that matters. We are going to win some games we shouldn't, and we are going to lose some games we shouldn't. Gotta grab the points when you can.

I also think we did play in a winning fashion. NJ had a few good chances here and there, and Mrazek stood tall when he needed to but our defense was clearing pucks away in crowds and there weren't a ton of defensive lapses.

I think we need more offense in general, but I also think that if our powerplay wasn't inept we'd be better on that front.

There's still room to improve, but I'd rather them play perfect hockey in April than right now. What's encouraging is that the team has noticeably improved since the first few games of the season.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
On the downside Ottawa just tied St. Louis up at 2 thanks to a couple of powerplay goals. St. Louis is outplaying them at even strength though.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
You obviously didnt see the game and you dont understand the game if you are measuring how well a goalie played by number of shots faced.

It's pretty dumb to ignore shots faced, too. As always, the middle ground is best there.

As far as the game itself goes, honestly, I can't believe anyone goes to a Devils game... then again, being 26th in the league in total attendance (27th by %) I guess they pretty much don't, anyway.

What just kills me about Detroit is that if they had one #1 centerman they would be wildly better, even if that guy replaced either Z or D right now. Tatar and Larkin and Abdelkader and Nyquist are all right there just dying to score goals, and none of them are transcendent enough to do so without the pivot carrying some of that water... and D and Z just can't do it right now.

It seems like every time the Wings enter the zone the defense is man up on everyone because they know Detroit doesn't have anyone at center (or at wing) who can win many battles 1 on 1 in the open ice.

If there was someone on the dot who could suck the coverage in towards him even a half stride it would make such a huge difference on how the puck moves and where it could go, but there's just not right now.

Datsyuk's literally the age Larionov was in his second year in Detroit. He can't be that guy any more. Not fair to even expect it of him. Zetterberg has turned into a smaller Joe Thornton. He hasn't been that guy for 3+ years.

Detroit's most glaring roster weakness right now is, without doubt, a lead dman. #2 is a lead centerman. That they're doing what they are doing without truly elite talent at the tops of either of their skating units is a huge credit to the rest of the players and the organization for pulling them together.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Blues gift wrap Ottawa an OT win

That was a bummer :(. Nice move by Ryan though, and a gorgeous pass by Hoffman I believe.

Also, well said HiHD. I believe I agree. I think Datsyuk still has more to give, but missing an offseason isn't doing anyone favors.

At some point we need to try Larkin at C. He's just such a hound in the corners and a roadrunner on the wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad