Line Combos: Present Future

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The best of the young guys in my opinion. The future as it stands now after our vets are gone. Trades, signings and 1st round picks will happen, so this just represents the starting point. Anyone not here could have been traded for assets not even shown here.

Edited for the removal of mr. silfverberg (good luck buddy), and mr. noesen (don't get too good) AND to add Bobby Ryan!

Puempel-LAZAR-Ryan
Prince-ZIBANEJAD-Stone
Greening-PAGEAU-Dunn
Conacher-MAIDENS-Robinson
hoffman

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Wiercioch-Gryba
Harpur
Sdao
Claesson
Wikstrand

Lehner
Driedger
Hogberg

miss anyone? Where are the weak points?

Last edited:

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Maidens is not really 4th/3rd line material nor is Conacher and if Dunn hit his max potential he could be a great 2nd liner and where is Turris ?

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Maidens is not really 4th/3rd line material nor is Conacher and if Dunn hit his max potential he could be a great 2nd liner and where is Turris ?

No they're not bottom 6ers, but that is how deep the team is. And those guys at least play with an edge.

Turris has been traded. Sorry turris fans (just my idea though). Keep in mind, his return is not even present here. I didn't see how he fit in, i like the potential of these other centers better. Same with smith, condra.

If you put turris back in(possibility) who would you take out?

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
The problem with doing long term stuff is the team undergoes so many personnel changes.

I just found my note from the 2011 draft with a rough idea with our lineup and the names on that list :laugh: . I also have posters for all the Senator players from the 2009 season and we have like 6 guys left. Alfie, Spezza, Milo, Philly, Neil, and a couple others maybe

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Puempel - Spezza - Stone
Conacher - Turris - Noesen
Silfverberg - Zibanejad - Lazar
Greening - Pageau - Grant/Dizzy
Dunn/Prince

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Wiercioch
Harpur/Sdao - Ceci
Claesson - Wikstrand

Lehner
Hogberg
Driedger

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
The problem with doing long term stuff is the team undergoes so many personnel changes.

I just found my note from the 2011 draft with a rough idea with our lineup and the names on that list :laugh: . I also have posters for all the Senator players from the 2009 season and we have like 6 guys left. Alfie, Spezza, Milo, Philly, Neil, and a couple others maybe

good point and i thought about that. i have the same kind of lineups from last yr and the yr before and they are irrelevant now.

Have to start somewhere though and this could be 2 yrs away. It can at least show the areas that the team needs improvements.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
good point and i thought about that. i have the same kind of lineups from last yr and the yr before and they are irrelevant now.

Have to start somewhere though and this could be 2 yrs away. It can at least show the areas that the team needs improvements.
Yeah, at the very least it shows an ALL PROSPECT TEAM or something. There's just no way this is ever the Senators lineup.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
IMO, it's between Conacher and Prince for that little speedy skilled guy LW spot on our team. I doubt both of them will make it. Pageau is a different story because he's a center.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Conacher - Lazar - Silfverberg
Prince - Zibanejad - Noesen
Puempel - Pageau - Stone
Dziurzynski - Grant - Robinson

Cowen - Karlsson
Borowiecki - Ceci
Claesson - Gryba

Lehner
Driedger

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
The best of the young guys in my opinion. The future as it stands now after our vets are gone. Trades, signings and 1st round picks will happen, so this just represents the starting point. Anyone not here could have been traded for assets not even shown here.

Puempel-LAZAR-Stone
Prince-ZIBANEJAD-Silfverberg
Greening-PAGEAU-Noesen
Conacher-MAIDENS-Robinson/Dunn
hoffman

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Wiercioch-Gryba
Harpur
Sdao
Claesson
Wikstrand

Lehner
Driedger
Hogberg

miss anyone? Where are the weak points?

i love that third line.

forwards -

conacher - turris - lazar

conacher is play maker for these two snipers. turris also has some play making in him, but i feel conacher brings a more full time passer to the line. i originally had puempel here, but i needed someone that's not shoot first.

prince - zibby - silf

a lot to like about this line. i originally had conacher here. but decided on a playmaking winger on the first line and bumped him up. prince is a very suitable replacement. i think this line is smart, speedy and brings a good mix of grit, playmaking, and shooting.

puempel/hoffman - da costa - stone

a skill third line. hoffman played with da costa and stone in bingo and that line looked very dangerous. da costa and hoffman like to carry the puck through the neutral zone, hoffman is blistering fast and da costa is a strong skater, so they can hide stone's lack of speed in the neutral zone. once in the offensive end, stone and da costa's smarts make up for hoffman's lack of smarts. they made entire teams look silly in the ahl, i'm curious as to what they can do in the nhl. puempel gets added if hoffman doesn't make it and adds a very dangerous shooter to our best passing line.

greening - pageau - noesen

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng. speed, grit, some scoring, leadership, defensive play, and tenacity. i wouldn't like to play against this line. they could cycle you to the ground, shut you down, or bang home some goals. i never see this line taking a shift off. we have one established nhl'er in greening, one that looked good this year in pageau, and one of our top prospects that seems to be to be able to synergize in terms of style of play with these guys. never take a shift off, and one of the best energy lines in the game in my opinion.

condra - always nice to have an elite pk'er in your forward ranks
hoffman/puempel - the one that doesn't make it/is traded/is let go
schneider - i'm intrigued by this prospect. could make it as a bottom six scorer. unlikely, but i'd keep my eye on him just in case.

i obviously have a prospect crush on da costa. i also like hoffman. these two players have a lot of skill, but each have flaws that they may not overcome. da costa needs to relearn how to play defense (he has it in him), simplify a little bit, and get stronger. hoffman needs to look for the better play and not try to do everything himself on his line. just wanted to explain my two "questionable" (every player on this team is questionable since it's just full of projections) picks. the two bottom six lines are interchangeable.

defense -

methot/cowen - karlsson

methot and karlsson looked good. i'd put them together unless cowen doesn't become the defender he has the potential to become.

cowen/methot - ceci

i like ceci and think he has the potential to have "kuba in his first year with us" offense with "kuba in his last year with us" defense. if cowen develops like i hope he can (#1/2 punishing 2-way defenseman), we'd be wasting him with karlsson. if he just becomes a great shut defenseman, and maybe not quite as good as methot, i wouldn't be against putting him with karlsson because karlsson with anyone is a #1 defense pair already, methot with the ceci i described makes a very, very good second pair

wier - gryba

even if they don't develop much beyond what they showed last season, we have a good third pairing. i hope wier can round out his defensive game, because the two way force i watched in bingo during the lockout has second pair potential.

sdao - another intriguing prospect. i haven't seen him play much, but i think he has potential.

boro - hard worker, local boy, but unless he stops taking stupid penalties, learns where the line is physically, and improves his defense a little bit (no, i don't think he's good enough defensively yet), i don't see him making it. he has good speed and likes to jump in on the rush, which is surprising. he doesn't have a great shot or passing skills though.

claesson - i'm happy with his attitude. he has committed long term to playing in bingo. in his first campaign he showed a mean streak and very solid defensive play. he showed a pretty good breakout pass and some poise on the offensive blue-line, but not good playmaking or shooting. if he continues to grow, he will probably pass boro, maybe as soon as next season.

wikstrand - only heard about him. only managed to catch a game and some highlights from the world juniors. i can't say much about him or place him in my line-up due to this.

harpur - i like his size and i heard he's a good skater. that's a good start. other than that, he's in a similar boat to wikstrand

goalies -

lehner - preferably in released lehner mode. we all know he has the potential to be a top goalie, and the competitiveness and willingness to improve. let's see how good he can get.

back-up is in up for grabs between -

driedger - all i know about him is that he had a good year.
brassard - all i know about him is that he had a good year, but i heard he was playing behind a stacked team.
hogberg - we just drafted him out of europe. i have no idea about this guy

this is what happens when i don't post much for a while and i find a thread i like. this is my prospect/young player line-up with player and line/pairing evaluation and prospect depth evaluation. how many people will read it? :laugh:

tl;dr:
my line-up is
conacher - turris - lazar
prince - zibby - silf
puempel/hoffman - da costa - stone
greening - pageau - noesen
condra
methot/cowen - karlsson
cowen/methot - ceci
wier - gryba
lehner/goalie prospect that grabs it

full stop.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Puempel - Turris - Stone
Silfverberg - Zibanejad - Noesen
Greening - Lazar - Schneider/Dunn
Z. Smith - Grant - Robinson

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Harpur/Sdao - Gryba/Boroweicki

Lehner
Driedger
Hogberg

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I have a feeling Lazar will be used on the RW, while filling in at C when there's injuries. Also, obviously none of us are gonna call the lineup cause Murray will obviously sign or trade someone eventually. But here goes:

Puempel-Spezza-Stone
Prince/Conacher-Turris-Silfverberg
Noesen-Zibanejad-Lazar
Greening-Smith-Kramer

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Wiercioch-Gryba/Sdao

Anderson
Lehner

:D

source

Jul 13, 2008
Who was the last pure offensive Canadian forward drafted in the 1st round who failed to ever make the World Junior Team Canada Selection Camp, yet has gone on to have what looks like a respectable NHL career?

I'm betting Puempel won't be the next...

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Who was the last pure offensive Canadian forward drafted in the 1st round who failed to ever make the World Junior Team Canada Selection Camp, yet has gone on to have what looks like a respectable NHL career?

I'm betting Puempel won't be the next...

Logan Couture and Devin Setoguchi come to mind. I'm sure there are others.

Not that I'm super high on Puempel myself, mind you.

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
Why are people penciling in Lazar above Zibanejad? Zibanejad has higher offensive upside and arguably is as good as Lazar defensively.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Logan Couture and Devin Setoguchi come to mind. I'm sure there are others.

Not that I'm super high on Puempel myself, mind you.

Logan Couture

Devin Setoguchi

Puempel has never been high enough on Hockey Canada's radar to be invited to their Junior Team Selection Camp. It would be nice if we didn't hype our prospects so far beyond reason.

WhiteLight*

Conacher - Zibanejad - Silfverberg
Prince - Turris - Stone
Puempel - Pageau - Noesen
Condra - Smith - Lazar
Hoffman

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba
Borowiecki

Lehner
Hogberg