GDT: Preseason: Wild @ Jets - 7 PM/3AM - TSN3 - Hockey's back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
I listened on and off while helping a friend get his goose and duck hunting decoys in order for the opener this weekend.

It sounded like a sloppy game from both sides as expected for the first preseason game. Still, it's nice to see the B squad make a decent showing tonight and almost tie it at the end.

It's just good to have hockey back. :handclap:

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Liked what I saw from Zucker, Olloffson and Folin. Zucker was everywhere, and i'm convinced he's winning that third line spot assuming he doesn't get hurt.

Coyle and Nino kind of seemed to mail it in to me a bit. They looked solidish, but with their roster spot secured they obviously weren't giving that exta 10% that Zucker was giving.

Karanen has some plays where you could see the obvious skill, but seemed to be lacking.

Ballard sucks, i'd rather have a third pairing of Ollofsson and Folin.

Graovac looked good. I'm hoping we can trade Brodz at the deadline and have Graovac replace him.

I wouldn't be in hurry to trade Brodz. He is still solid #3center and very solid #4 center. Graovac is still raw although i was still impressed by him. Still needs some power in the legs and overall muscle.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Can we at least all agree that Olofsson and Folin both looked a whole lot better then Ballard and Bickel and hope this not the third pairing going into the season.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I wouldn't be in hurry to trade Brodz. He is still solid #3center and very solid #4 center. Graovac is still raw although i was still impressed by him. Still needs some power in the legs and overall muscle.

I'm not in a hurry, but teams can get stupid at the deadline. If someone is willing to give us a Gaustad level stupid return for him, or even a slightly below. Its nice to know we have have a guy not to far away that could replace him.

Never great to let an asset walk for nothing, especially one thats not hugely important anymore.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
None of the defensemen really impressed me today. Ballard looked bad, Bickel looked bad. Oloffsson, for all you guys are pumping him, bobbled the puck a lot. I started counting and comparing his bobbles to Ballard's, and they were doing it almost the same amount (Ballard's are just more epic in scale... much like Skoula falling over). I will say this for him though, he is more physical than Ballard. Folin was our best looking one, tonight, and didn't blow me away; he just looked solid, to me.

i'm still trying to figure out the rationale for playing Coyle at C.

Options in case of injuries. Better to be able to call up the best forward from Iowa, rather than the best center. Now is the time to find out if it could work.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If Bickel ends up on this team, I will be upset.

Yeo on #mnwild D Stu Bickel, who had two fights: "He's making a statement and saying, 'I want to be here.' ... He was good tonight."

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
If Bickel ends up on this team, I will be upset.

it might be a coded message to some of the other guys. this guy knows his primary purpose is to be a pain. i was expecting a lot more out of this game in the physical department. i think Coyle of all people stood out better than anyone.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
it might be a coded message to some of the other guys. this guy knows his primary purpose is to be a pain. i was expecting a lot more out of this game in the physical department. i think Coyle of all people stood out better than anyone.

Hopefully. I personally have zero faith in Fletcher/Yeo's ability to not have a player on the roster who's sole purpose is to get punched in the face and/or punch others in the face.

The next time we don't have a face puncher, will be the first time.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Hopefully. I personally have zero faith in Fletcher/Yeo's ability to not have a player on the roster who's sole purpose is to get punched in the face and/or punch others in the face.

The next time we don't have a face puncher, will be the first time.

just by history i think Fletcher has shown a movement toward guys who can at least contribute in some way, or should be able to. Boogaard and Scott to Staubitz (more mobile) and Konopka (faceoffs), to Kassian who played how many games to Stoner who could play some D to...The intention is to have that sort of character in your bottom pair or 4th line, but to have a guy be a little more worthwhile. Also want more of it up and down the line but you'd rather your bottom line guys switch their focus to aggravating the other team than you would your top lines, and a good way to keep that focus on them is to let the other team try to exact revenge every once in a while. Bickel was getting into fights for the sake of it--i don't think that's what Yeo appreciated or what he'd be happy about in the regular season. I'd like to think Bickel would be a little more selective but i have a feeling he'd be Staubitz all over again. Try too hard to do his "job" and get us in trouble. I think Yeo and Fletcher are hoping the other guys will look at it as a side job they'd be able to fill. the crap hours no one else will work.

At least that's what i'm hoping is going on--no goons, but guys willing to make the opposing team focus on them because of their physicality. I'd say Bickel is a goon, though. Like i said, i think praising him for this night was just a gentle reminder that he wants to see more truculence out of certain players.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Jets fans still calling us boring.

Maybe the young guys were boring tonight but I just cannot believe people think this team is the exact same as the Lemaire era squads. Because they play responsible defense as a five man unit they automatically equate to boring, apparently.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
just by history i think Fletcher has shown a movement toward guys who can at least contribute in some way, or should be able to. Boogaard and Scott to Staubitz (more mobile) and Konopka (faceoffs), to Kassian who played how many games to Stoner who could play some D to...The intention is to have that sort of character in your bottom pair or 4th line, but to have a guy be a little more worthwhile. Also want more of it up and down the line but you'd rather your bottom line guys switch their focus to aggravating the other team than you would your top lines, and a good way to keep that focus on them is to let the other team try to exact revenge every once in a while. Bickel was getting into fights for the sake of it--i don't think that's what Yeo appreciated or what he'd be happy about in the regular season. I'd like to think Bickel would be a little more selective but i have a feeling he'd be Staubitz all over again. Try too hard to do his "job" and get us in trouble. I think Yeo and Fletcher are hoping the other guys will look at it as a side job they'd be able to fill. the crap hours no one else will work.

Wtf did Rupp contribute?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Huh, I didn't see any mistakes by Olofsson. Lots of great offensive plays, actually.

I'm with you. Olofsson's game wasn't flawless of course, but he's also a teenager. Folin will be 24 in February.

Really good to see Zucker skating well. Thought Gabriel showed some things too in his role.

Not overly impressed with anyone else, but it was one game and they had to defend quite a bit.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
1 GWG. ;) maybe it was a trying goal... Either way I remember it!

'Tying goal'. Tied the game 2-2. Ended up going into overtime 3-3. Scored only a minute into the 3rd.

Goal is pretty much negated because the assist is from Mikael Granlund. Rupp's goal was almost assuredly a butt-goal, (ala the film Goon). :sarcasm:

Source: Here

Just kidding. He actually worked for it. But then he pushed the goalie into the net for the score. Surprise, his goal was from brute force.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I only have watched the 1st period so far, and despite being Folin's "bad" period, he still did a lot of things really well. Yes, he is going to need to work on the NHL speed and being more intense in front of his own net. But how long have the Wild needed a blueliner who can put a quick, hard shot on net?

Ballard is so god awful. Maybe this is unfair, but I got to think that Ballard defenders are Gopher fans remembering the good old days. He is a liability every time he is on the ice and his terrible positioning makes it extra hard of his partner (i.e. Folin).

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Hope like hell Yeo was sending a message by saying Bickel impressed. Was by far the worst defender on the ice last night.

Folin gets pushed around far too much for his size. Several turnovers as well. It's early, but don't see how he makes the club over Blum out of the gate. Need a more consistent and stable game out of him at the #6 spot.

Don't see much progression in Coyle's game at this point. One thing's for certain, he's not a center. He literally does nothing well that you need from a center. Hope his top 6 is more unstable than I believe it to be. Can't afford to have him be a giant boat anchor on his line again all year. Especially if he's going to be paired with some of the best the Wild have to offer...

Gus had in and out moments. I believe him to be the #2 prospect in the pool and he looks the part at times. Needs some seasoning in the AHL yet but I think he's going to be a good one.

Only 30 minutes, but Backstrom looked like himself again. We'll see if he can build on it.

Billy Mays Here*

Jets fans still calling us boring.

Maybe the young guys were boring tonight but I just cannot believe people think this team is the exact same as the Lemaire era squads. Because they play responsible defense as a five man unit they automatically equate to boring, apparently.

If you haven't learned to just drown out the boring accusations by now you really should learn. Giving any of the boring accusations any attention or time of day is only going to irritate you.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Was Olofsson actually that good? I only watched the 1st and bits of the 2nd period but to me he looked overwhelmed and struggled. Folin on the other hand was solid and looks NHL ready, although he still has a lot of things he needs to improve if he wants to be a dominant D-man in the NHL. Ballard was awful.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Was Olofsson actually that good? I only watched the 1st and bits of the 2nd period but to me he looked overwhelmed and struggled. Folin on the other hand was solid and looks NHL ready, although he still has a lot of things he needs to improve if he wants to be a dominant D-man in the NHL. Ballard was awful.

It was really his first game playing against that type of competition so it's to be expected.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Glad to see people starting to take notice of Graovac...he should be much higher on many people's lists.

Don't like Coyle at center.

Liked Folin on the PP. Like his shot (gets it through traffic) and he displayed some good puck moving abilities.

Almond looked better a few years ago. His mobility has improved but he did not play gritty at all.

Meh on Keranen and Schroeder...they don't have anything on Fontaine, Zucker, etc.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Schroeder showed some speed, but I honestly didn't like anything else about his game... Not to mention he looks extremely tiny out on the ice.

Outside of a couple plays, I thought Keränen was invisible.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I was really impressed with Olofsson last night. Best D on the ice.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I thought Zucker was consistently making lots of small positive plays whenever he was on the ice. I was impressed. I'm hoping that things will shake out to be...

Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Vanek-Koivu-Nino
Zucker-Haula-Coyle
Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad