Preseason Top 30 OHL'ers for the 2024 NHL Draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

It's the end of August and that means a new OHL season is right around the corner. It also means that it's time for me to release my first draft ranking for 2024. To assess these players we've seen them in the OHL (mostly) and for some we've seen them at the U17's and at the Hlinka/Gretzky Cup. Unfortunately, the lack of training camp for the Hlinka (due to Hockey Canada budget cuts) has prevented us from getting a glimpse of improvements made by other players on this list heading into the season, but thems the breaks.

Of course, a ton is going to change between now and the actual 2024 draft. A lot will likely change before I make my first in season list in October/November. Here was last year's preseason list, as an example.

How would I classify this year's potential OHL crop? Very strong. The defense for this group is outstanding, possessing the potential to be among the best group of blueliners ever from the OHL, rivaling the 2008 draft when the OHL had five first round picks from the back-end. I mean, the Hlinka/Gretzky Cup was evidence of this as nearly all of Canada's blueline came from Ontario. The forwards are not quite as strong, but I'm sure a few will really step up and emerge as first round candidates.

Here's the list:

1. Sam Dickinson - Defense - London Knights
Honestly, prior to the Hlinka/Gretzky, it was a toss up for me between Dickinson and Henry Mews. But Dickinson was so unbelievably good at that event, he made this a no brainer for me. This is a defender who has pretty much everything going for him. Think if Darnell Nurse and Alex Pietrangelo merged via cloning. He skates very well for a bigger defender. He is so poised in the defensive end with the puck, starting the breakout with ease, even in the face of pressure. He competes hard physically. He has a great stick in the defensive end. He has a booming point shot. He has first pairing NHL workhorse written all over him. This year in London, it will be interesting to see how his confidence as a puck mover grows. Will he be given a leash to take chances in transition, using his feet and hands to lead the breakout? I believe yes. Last year we saw Cam Allen start the year in this position and then falter under high expectations. I don't expect that to happen to Dickinson. I'll be shocked if he's not a top ten pick in June.

2. Henry Mews - Defense - Ottawa 67's
Mews may not be quite as polished as Dickinson, but his upside as a top pairing NHL defender is similar. A coveted right shot defender, Mews is extremely skilled. He has an aggressive offensive mindset and is constantly looking to push the tempo from the back-end. Does that lead to some miscues? Absolutely. He'll need to look to improve his decision making this year. He can be turnover prone in the defensive end as he tries to force things. Sometimes the high percentage, but "boring" play is the right move, especially in the face of a heavy forecheck. I do believe that Mews sees the ice well though and that with experience, he'll develop into a top notch playmaker. From a defensive perspective, he can be a high end player. He doesn't have the elite reach that Dickinson does, but he is mobile, competes hard, and shows strong understanding of how to defend the middle already. This year, as mentioned, it will be completely about assessing Mews' ability to process the game under pressure.

3. Beckett Sennecke - Wing - Oshawa Generals
Let's forget the puzzling Hlinka/Gretzky omission. I think Sennecke enters the year as the top forward available from the OHL. What I love most about his game is his sense and vision. He's such a quick processor in the offensive end. That was evident even as an OHL rookie. At times, he seems a step ahead of the competition, making quick one touch passes or finding those soft spots as a passing option. He's got great hands, flashes high end creativity, and is a strong finisher. Throw all that in a 6'2 frame and you have a potential top six winger at the next level. So what am I looking for this year? The first thing would be improving his skating. I wouldn't classify Sennecke as a poor skater. However, I think a lack of a dynamic burst was evident last year and it prevented him from getting consistent separation from defenders. Additionally, I'm looking for him to improve the consistency of his physical intensity level. Can he be stronger on pucks down low? Can he turn himself into a strong three zone player? Given that I expect Oshawa to improve this year, I have high expectations for Sennecke.

4. Zayne Parekh - Defense - Saginaw Spirit
Parekh was already one of the most exciting defenders in the OHL last year as a rookie. He set a new league U17 goal scoring record by a defender with 21 goals. Parekh is pure chaos on the ice with how aggressive he is offensively. He scored a few breakaway goals last year and I think that tells you everything you need to know about him. The Saginaw system, which encourages free flow (essentially experimenting with positionless hockey), is perfect for him, just as it was for Pavel Mintyukov, encouraging his creativity with the puck. As a result, his offensive upside is immense. Outside of his puck skill and vision, Parekh's four way mobility is also an asset. He's terrific on his edges, giving him that elusiveness in tight spaces to help him evade pressure. The million dollar question is, how does Parekh's game transition to the next level? Given his lack of size, can he defend at the NHL level? Will he be as successful in the NHL in a different system that does not promote the kind of freedom that he has in Saginaw? I know that there is skepticism in the scouting community, even if he has his fans too. Right now, the talent is too strong to ignore and he deserves to be ranked accordingly. The points will be there again this year, but the real test will be the improvements that he makes in the defensive end.

5. Anthony Cristoforo - Defense - Windsor Spitfires
Cristoforo is kind of a similar player to Parekh. He shines most in the offensive end currently thanks to his combination of high end skill and high end vision. Even as an OHL rookie, it was rare to see Cristoforo make a poor decision with the puck. He's calm under pressure. He trusts his feet and his vision, always keeping his head up and on a swivel. His upside as a powerplay quarterback is terrific. And while he's certainly a bit bigger than Parekh, there are similar concerns over his ability to defend at the next level. Can he find consistent success in high traffic areas as an OHL sophomore, becoming more difficult to play against? Given his high IQ and his quick feet, he doesn't have to be a bruiser, but increasing his aggressiveness is a must. Given Canada's depth at the Hlinka/Gretzky, he didn't have a great opportunity to show how good he is to a larger audience, but he should have a really strong year with the Spitfires as a lead defender.

6. Liam Greentree - Wing - Windsor Spitfires
Speaking of the Spitfires, insert big winger Liam Greentree. He was so good as an OHL rookie last year. He has really good hands for a bigger winger and his skating is a non issue. He plays well in transition and finishes off plays well in tight with a quick release. Last year, he already showed an ability to fight off checks and pressure to make plays down low, and as he gains further strength, he could be a really tough player to separate from the puck. So what's the next step this year? Like most second year forwards it's proving that he can be a primary play driver and not just a complementary piece. Can he be a consistent force with the puck who can create by driving the net with speed and power? Can he continue to develop physically and incorporate power forward esque tendencies into his approach?

7. Parker Von Richter - Defense - Mississauga Steelheads
Definitely a personal favourite of mine early in this 2024 scouting process. Improved by leaps and bounds over the course of his rookie season and was playing top four minutes, well over 20 minutes a night by the playoffs for Mississauga. His strength lies in his play in the defensive end. He shows a really strong understanding of how to defend. Von Richter is one of those players who is always in the right position, showing great poise and anticipation already as a young defender. As the season went on, he gained confidence in his ability to use his size/strength down low and near the crease too. Critical for any strong defensive presence, Von Richter also showed well with the puck in the defensive end, especially in the second half. He started the breakout effectively and was calm in the face of forecheckers. There are two big questions though. 1) Can his skating improve further? I wouldn't call it a weakness, but there were instances last year where a lack of quickness/efficiency in his stride hurt him. Improving his footwork will be the key to him becoming a true defensive standout. 2) What's the offensive upside? We saw him start to gain confidence in his puck moving abilities late last year and I do believe that he has the ability to contribute offensively. But is that a skill that has the potential to carry over? Can't wait to see how he looks this year.

8. Frankie Marrelli - Defense - Ottawa 67's
Late last season, it was like the light bulb switched on for Marrelli. He was better than Henry Mews in the playoffs last year and that carried into this summer's Hlinka/Gretzky when I thought Marrelli was one of Canada's best defenders. He's not a huge defender, but he's tough to play against already. He's very competitive and has a penchant for the big hit, as he looks to step up on attackers early. His lateral and backwards mobility are excellent and it allows him to be a terrific rush defender, when you combine that with his aggressive, suffocating approach. Offensively, I think Marrelli has more to offer us thanks to strong vision and decision making. How skilled is he? That will be the big question mark this year. Given his average size, NHL teams will be looking for him to become a strong two-way presence as 6'0 stay at home types are not the most coveted.

9. Ben Danford - Defense - Oshawa Generals
Danford didn't have the best Hlinka/Gretzky Cup, but you can't overlook how steady he was for the rebuilding Generals last year. A lot of those weak puck plays that we saw at the Hlinka did not happen last year and I think that points to a young man who was pressing a bit under the pressure of the event and the scouting presence. If anything, I thought Danford's decision making with the puck, especially in the offensive zone, was a strength as a rookie. He holds the offensive blueline well. Danford also defends well, using strong skating ability to stay ahead of attackers. Like a few others on this list, he doesn't have elite size/reach, but he showed well as a rookie with a good stick and anticipation. The key for Danford will be shaking that dreaded, "jack of all trades" label. Here we have an average sized defender who looks good at both ends, but who currently lacks a tool that I would label as well above average. Those can be the types that look great as OHL rookies, but who then fail to take that next step as others catch up to them physically. Right now, he very much deserves to be ranked in this range, but progression will be needed at both ends in order for him to hold this spot.

10. Cole Beaudoin - Center - Barrie Colts
The surprise of the Hlinka/Gretzky Cup as one of Canada's best and most consistent players. Last year as an OHL rookie, I thought he largely looked over his head. His lack of dynamic skating really held him back and kept him behind the play. But the player we saw at the Hlinka/Gretzky looked like a potential NHL first round selection. Firstly, it's obvious that improving his skating was a focus this offseason. His linear quickness and speed looked considerably improved. It allowed Beaudoin to be a dynamite forechecker and penalty killer. There's definitely still room for him to improve his agility and East/West movement, but Rome wasn't built in a day. What Beaudoin is, is a potential all situations, two-way center. I'm very curious to see how he carves out a larger role in Barrie this season.

Check the link for the rest of the Top 30 and HM's. As always, happy to answer any questions.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Absolute centre target hit with the write up on Frankie Marrelli.

Reactions: Brock

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
What do O’Reilly and Nicholl need to do to crack the top 30? What do they need to do to get drafted?

As always GREAT work

Reactions: Brock

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
What do O’Reilly and Nicholl need to do to crack the top 30? What do they need to do to get drafted?

As always GREAT work

I guess the easy answer is...get ice time. That's half the battle for any of the younger London players. You need to not only crack the roster, given it's depth, but you need to prove to Dale that you deserve enough ice time to get noticed.

For O'Reilly, it'll be getting enough opportunity with some decent playmakers to prove that his scoring prowess can translate. He has a howitzer. Obviously, the skating will need to have improved too.

For Nicholl, it's proving that he has offensive upside at the OHL level. By that I mean, does the skating play, because that was what ultimately led to him being a third rounder and not higher. He's not the biggest and not the quickest and the adjustment to the OHL can be difficult for those types, even if they are skilled.

Reactions: tjziel and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I guess the easy answer is...get ice time. That's half the battle for any of the younger London players. You need to not only crack the roster, given it's depth, but you need to prove to Dale that you deserve enough ice time to get noticed.

For O'Reilly, it'll be getting enough opportunity with some decent playmakers to prove that his scoring prowess can translate. He has a howitzer. Obviously, the skating will need to have improved too.

For Nicholl, it's proving that he has offensive upside at the OHL level. By that I mean, does the skating play, because that was what ultimately led to him being a third rounder and not higher. He's not the biggest and not the quickest and the adjustment to the OHL can be difficult for those types, even if they are skilled.
Thank you for the reply! I agree. Will be interesting to see what they can do this year

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006

Thanks for the background Brock, in the limited viewings at the OHL level it’s almost impossible to see where these kids might pan out…

Some standout for their pure skill or vision but very rarely a 16 year old on a London squad positively stands out, case and point Evangelista was a ghost.

Is it fair to say the likelihood here of having them both be exceptional at this level is a little lofty?

Reactions: LDN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad