Confirmed with Link: Preseason Schedule Announced

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
I might be wrong, but I think since Elizabeth City and surrounding areas are in the Norfolk TV viewing area, they get Comcast Sports Network instead of FSN.

You're right as far as I know. Unless things have changed in the past 2-3 years that is, which was the last time I was in that area.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Sending the Storm Squad and Stormy out to things like county fairs is a great idea, and exactly the type of thing they should be doing.

I also think they ought to start an official fan club you can join, where they could have chapters in various cities that could sponsor viewing places for the games on TV. They also could do some bus trips then where the club could set up a bus trip to go see a game.

There's plenty of things they could do to market the team outside the Triangle.

Blown Away

Apr 23, 2013
What your "local" sports team for TV purposes is usually a rights issue determined by the league. This is why you still hear Redskins fans cry about getting Panthers games in Eastern NC.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
What your "local" sports team for TV purposes is usually a rights issue determined by the league. This is why you still hear Redskins fans cry about getting Panthers games in Eastern NC.

That's a slightly different issue, though.

There are a lot of Redskins fans in Eastern NC because it used to be the closest team and part of their territory. When the Panthers came into being it then took over the territory rights for the TV market here as the 'local' team.

The difference is that you'd think Elizabeth City and that area of the state would be part of the Canes local territory since it is the closest team, but they are part of the Norfolk TV market. Thus they get Caps games on TV. If they were included in the Greenville/New Bern/Jacksonville TV market then they'd be getting Canes games instead.

I'd guess that in the same respect they probably get Redskins games in Elizabeth City still, as well.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
And I thought the Winnipeg fans were whiny. I honestly hope Quebec City never sees another NHL team. Ever.

i honestly hope Quebec separates one day and becomes its own country with its own hockey league and everything else. noone ever says NO to Quebec without severe allegations of prejudice in the sickening guise of political correctness. if Quebec gets a franchise Alberta will be paying for a new rink and everything else they need. "entitled" is a huge understatement and doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. azzhats is a start. then again, i'm a redneck.

Last edited:

USNCANIAC

Jul 3, 2011
Moyock, NC
That's a slightly different issue, though.

There are a lot of Redskins fans in Eastern NC because it used to be the closest team and part of their territory. When the Panthers came into being it then took over the territory rights for the TV market here as the 'local' team.

The difference is that you'd think Elizabeth City and that area of the state would be part of the Canes local territory since it is the closest team, but they are part of the Norfolk TV market. Thus they get Caps games on TV. If they were included in the Greenville/New Bern/Jacksonville TV market then they'd be getting Canes games instead.

I'd guess that in the same respect they probably get Redskins games in Elizabeth City still, as well.

We get Fox Sports Carolinas locally in the Eastern Part of the state. I live in Currituck and I am able to catch all the games when they are televised. I am not stuck watching the CAPS.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
We get Fox Sports Carolinas locally in the Eastern Part of the state. I live in Currituck and I am able to catch all the games when they are televised. I am not stuck watching the CAPS.

That's great to hear! How long have you lived there? Do you know when it changed?

Btw, I'm in Greenville, NC, so I know most of the East does get FSC. But it sure hasn't always been that way. It took several years for us to switch from HTS to FSS after the Canes moved here in the beginning, so I was stuck with the Caps broadcasts for awhile.

Much of the problem is how the East is split up between several different markets and cable providers. Wilmington gets TWC. The central area gets Suddenlink. What does the northeastern part have?

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
Travel to QC all the time, hope to be able to swing a trip that date and go and rock a red Canes jersey at our "home" game.

USNCANIAC

Jul 3, 2011
Moyock, NC
That's great to hear! How long have you lived there? Do you know when it changed?

Btw, I'm in Greenville, NC, so I know most of the East does get FSC. But it sure hasn't always been that way. It took several years for us to switch from HTS to FSS after the Canes moved here in the beginning, so I was stuck with the Caps broadcasts for awhile.

Much of the problem is how the East is split up between several different markets and cable providers. Wilmington gets TWC. The central area gets Suddenlink. What does the northeastern part have?

I do not know when it changed. I have been back in the area since June of last year. Currituck has Mediacom. I have Direct TV.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Sorry about the 20 questions, as I'm not very familiar other than what I've heard before, so was curious. Trying to spread the love of the Canes is something I'm pretty passionate about, especially in the East.

Oh, and welcome to the boards, btw! :)

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Sorry about the 20 questions, as I'm not very familiar other than what I've heard before, so was curious. Trying to spread the love of the Canes is something I'm pretty passionate about, especially in the East.

Oh, and welcome to the boards, btw! :)

I left Greenville in 2005, glad some one else picked up the torch :)

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
I left Greenville in 2005, glad some one else picked up the torch :)

Oh yeah! You'd be amazed at how many Canes fans there are here now. Can't be out around town without seeing Canes plates, flags and stickers on cars or people wearing clothing. Has gone from nobody knowing anything about the team, to random strangers talking about them to me when they see me with a hat on. Lots of people who have even been to a game at this point, too. So awesome to see. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad