Confirmed with Link: Preseason Schedule Announced

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The thread was funny enough before I saw the username of the poster complaining that Carolina is a team he doesn't care about and therefore should encourage a boycott the game.

Not much of a way to be a #1 fan of Jordan Staal...

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The thread was funny enough before I saw the username of the poster complaining that Carolina is a team he doesn't care about and therefore should encourage a boycott the game.

Not much of a way to be a #1 fan of Jordan Staal...

And I thought the Winnipeg fans were whiny. I honestly hope Quebec City never sees another NHL team. Ever.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
BTW apparently our hosting the match is a sign we're "desperate for money"

Pretty sure it means the league was calling around and begging teams to be willing to take their preseason on the road and be the opponent for this thing, (also why we have the NE teams rather than the usual mix of Nashville and Washington), and we were the ones who said yes, provided we got a cut to make up for the lost money from having less at PNC arena.

It's good for the Habs, sure, but no other team in the league really gets any benefit out of playing there. Besides, they're almost certainly getting an expansion team soon, and don't want Habs cooties getting in the home locker room.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Yeah, they would rather watch the Avs play than the 'Sunbelt Whalers'.

Really? They hate us, but not the Avs? The team that was taken away from them? That's a major head-scratcher right there to me. If anything they should hate the Avs more than any 'Sunbelt' team. If the Avs don't bother them, why should we? :help:

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
I'm hoping those entitled assclowns are skipped in the next round of expansion talks for Seattle, Kansas City, Barrow Alaska, Yellowknife, London and Mexico City. They probably wouldn't support the team anyway unless the NHL gifted them Crosby, Ovechkin, Weber, Keith, and a clone of Martin Brodeur in his prime. A lowly expansion team, pshhh!

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'm hoping those entitled assclowns are skipped in the next round of expansion talks for Seattle, Kansas City, Barrow Alaska, Yellowknife, London and Mexico City. They probably wouldn't support the team anyway unless the NHL gifted them Crosby, Ovechkin, Weber, Keith, and a clone of Martin Brodeur in his prime. A lowly expansion team, pshhh!

They supported a team that sucked for most of its existence. The Canes filled their building to 85.9% 2 years ago. That would rank 2nd to last (to only their expansion/conversion from WHA year). I don't think fan support is something that really should be argued.

Entitled asshats, yeah I can get on board with that though.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah, they would rather watch the Avs play than the 'Sunbelt Whalers'.

Really? They hate us, but not the Avs? The team that was taken away from them? That's a major head-scratcher right there to me. If anything they should hate the Avs more than any 'Sunbelt' team. If the Avs don't bother them, why should we? :help:

Fact of the matter is they have an absolutely irrational hate ALL sunbelt teams... aside from Tampa apparently, because of Vinny and St Louis all those years. I'd include Columbus in there too as there are quite a few that are dumb enough to lump Columbus in with the sunbelt cities. Something about it being their game blah blah blah who gives a ****. It's not like the Canes, or Preds, or a number of other sunbelt teams are on life support, and they're not moving any time soon. Phoenix is the ONLY candidate for that in the entire ****ing league, and as long as Glendale keeps flipping the bill they're not going anywhere.

They supported a team that sucked for most of its existence. The Canes filled their building to 85.9% 2 years ago. That would rank 2nd to last (to only their expansion/conversion from WHA year). I don't think fan support is something that really should be argued.

MUCH smaller arena though, so only times the percentage of attendance is at all relevant in the comparison are the years they were completely sold out or close to it (95% and up). I mean basically even including the year the Canes were damn near dead last all season until the end (09-10) they still had more people in the stands then Quebec's stadium even held.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Fact of the matter is they have an absolutely irrational hate ALL sunbelt teams... aside from Tampa apparently, because of Vinny and St Louis all those years. I'd include Columbus in there too as there are quite a few that are dumb enough to lump Columbus in with the sunbelt cities. Something about it being their game blah blah blah who gives a ****. It's not like the Canes, or Preds, or a number of other sunbelt teams are on life support, and they're not moving any time soon. Phoenix is the ONLY candidate for that in the entire ****ing league, and as long as Glendale keeps flipping the bill they're not going anywhere.

MUCH smaller arena though, so only times the percentage of attendance is at all relevant in the comparison are the years they were completely sold out or close to it (95% and up)

All the arenas were smaller then though and the NHL wasn't a billion dollar industry. Saying they probably won't support a team isn't really fair since there really isn't anything to substantiate that.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
All the arenas were smaller then though and the NHL wasn't a billion dollar industry. Saying they probably won't support a team isn't really fair since there really isn't anything to substantiate that.

Oh, not saying they probably won't support one, I just can't stand the nonsensical arrogance out of those *******s.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Oh, not saying they probably won't support one, I just can't stand the nonsensical arrogance out of those *******s.

Oh well yeah that's true. I'll refrain from making one of many Simpsons French jokes.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
After reading that thread, I want to go to this game even more now :)

We can all pile into the Caniac Coach nd play "Rock You Like a Hurricane" at max volume and show those lazy, indifferent people who let their team leave how you *really* support a team :)

Plus, being in September, we could still probably even tailgate :D:thumbu:

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Our numbers are completely irrelevant to this conversation, but I guess I'll comment anyway.

We haven't had a long history of hockey like Quebec and other Canadian cities/provinces. Give us 20-30 more years and we'll be on par with an average Northern U.S. city if current demographic trends stay the same. The NHL isn't stupid, they knew what they were doing when expanding south in the 90s. They paid attention to things like the Census data and other economic trends. More and more Northerners move south every year, and while not all of them will adopt their local team, a good amount of their children will.

Yes, they are definitely entitled whiners. For a city with such a small population and limited corporate support, they should be bending over backwards showing the NHL how much more they deserve a team over cities with much larger populations and more potential corporate support. The NHL is a business after all, Quebec City isn't going to get a team just because they're in a traditional market that can sell out their tiny stadium. Like boycotting this game does them any favors. :laugh: They don't deserve hockey any more than anybody else, especially if this is their attitude.
I just hope they don't whine again when they are passed up for expansion.

Last edited:

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC

Yeah, pretty much what I mean. They hate all the Sunbelt teams (including Columbus :laugh: ), except for the one that was ripped away from them (not that Colorado is 'Sunbelt', but I mean if they consider Columbus to be...).

I'm a Browns fan. I hate the Ravens because of what happened. When the Ravens won the Super Bowl it was like a knife being twisted in my gut. Both times. Even worse that this last team wore a tribute to the SOB who did it, and I had to hear about how great a guy he was and all he did for the league when he bought what was one of the most dominant teams in the 50's and early 60's and ran it into the ground, then the late 80's kept meddling with the coaching staff and roster when it finally was a contender again, and only to then move the team in the middle of the night the night before the election that the city was going to vote to give him a new stadium like he was holding over their head saying he'd move if he didn't get. I hate the Ravens, and him, but not the city of Baltimore or any of the fans. And I sure don't hate say Jacksonville or any other NFL team who may not have many fans showing up to games because of it (honestly I don't even know if they - or any teams - are struggling in attendance, because I couldn't care less).

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Personally, I couldn't care less. It's a meaningless preseason game, and I'm sure season ticket holders are pleased they don't have to shell out money for a third preseason game.

Yep. I saw 2 home games and thought good, one less meaningless game I have to pay for.

Having a home game in QC is dumb though. Should have been Charlotte. Thought they had a great turn out last time they went there.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I just read that thread on the BOH forum. I hope all those people that are boycotting do. Would be ****ing hilarious if the game doesn't sell out. The excuses for why it doesn't along with all the "QC deserves NHL" posts would be ****ing golden.

Blarg! Would have loved to see that.

Not to derail the thread, but I've always thought it would be cool to see them work out an agreement with the Bobcats/Hornets to swap a couple of regular season home dates every year. Seems it would drum up more interest outside their home markets.

They actually did this 2 years ago but the NBA lockout happened. Bobcats did play the Heat last October and have been contemplating a regular season game at PNC.

Considering the number of QC fans who are claiming they're going to boycott because we're not the Avs, I almost think we should.

Beyond that, like I said in the BoH thread that THH started:

I'm not a fan of this idea either. If we have to play a neutral site preseason game, I'd much rather the Canes do it someplace where we can grow the brand and the fanbase than in some place like Quebec City. I would have preferred to see Charlotte, Greensboro, Greenville, Columbia, or Charleston get this LONG before QC. At least that way we're broadening the fanbase in other parts of North or South Carolina.

Seriously, this is exactly why I'm scratching my head here. Management has said before that they would like to expand their footprint and they schedule us as the home team in Quebec? How exactly does this get people in Charlotte, G'Boro, SC, etc. interested in the team?

I don't think South Carolina is even in the discussion when it comes to the Canes, I'd be shocked if there's more than a handful of fans down there. Charlotte or Greensboro works, and you could add Fayetteville to the mix as being able to hold a game.

Personally, I couldn't care less. It's a meaningless preseason game, and I'm sure season ticket holders are pleased they don't have to shell out money for a third preseason game.

Sadly you are probably correct. I know we have a few posters here from SC and I don't know their experiences but I've had some interesting encounters with people there when I'm wearing some kind of Hurricanes clothing and without getting into detail (I'm saving that for another time) they were pretty face palm worthy.

I think outside of the Braves, most SC'ers don't really give a **** about major league sports. The Panthers don't seem to have a big following in the state unless you're in Lancaster and York Counties, the Bobcats well.......

That said, I do believe there is a growing interest in the sport in the palmetto state. While not growing quite at the rate as NC, places like Greenville, Charleston, and Myrtle Beach are experiencing population booms from relocating/retiring Northerners, the first two have ECHL teams and Myrtle Beach at one time was supposed to have one too (I think they were going to be called the Thunderboltz). Columbia has an arena suitable for the Inferno to return and the occasional preseason game should the people in charge wish. I personally would love if more people from the Palmetto state got interested in the Canes.

A Thrashers/Hurricanes game in Greenville would have been ideal IMO. Too bad the Thrashers no longer exist.

Yep. I saw 2 home games and thought good, one less meaningless game I have to pay for.

Having a home game in QC is dumb though. Should have been Charlotte. Thought they had a great turn out last time they went there.

I was at that game, and it was for a late Sunday afternoon right after the Panthers had a home game. Didn't hurt that 3 Checkers scored in that game the Canes blanked Winnipeg 4-0.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
They actually did this 2 years ago but the NBA lockout happened. Bobcats did play the Heat last October and have been contemplating a regular season game at PNC.

Now that you mention it, that sounds vaguely familiar. My memory has gone to hell ever since I started my grown-up job a few years ago. Hopefully they get back in touch and make that kind of thing happen again. Swapping preseason dates is nice and all, but the real deal would give the people more to be excited about... well, at least for the Hurricanes game.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
would be extremely smart for them to market eachother more often, rather stupid that they haven't taken more of an opportunity to do so. I mean there's a stretch of a solid week where the Canes can't play here, which would be a good time for the Hornets to market a deal to come down for a weekend game from Raleigh during that time frame. As far as the Canes are concerned, the more the brand can be grown outside of just being "the Raleigh team" in this state the better. I mean I know of some people in the eastern part of the state that can't watch some games for god knows what reason, that just shouldn't be happening.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
Unless things have changed in the past few years, I know Elizabeth City and that entire northeastern corner of the state for some reason get Capitals games instead of the Canes. I'm guessing there are other parts of the east that don't get any games.

Also, I'm not sure if it's an issue of the demand just not being there or of economics, but why isn't there a bigger radio presence for the Canes? 99.9 doesn't cover the entire state. I know for a fact there used to be some other stations that simulcasted games at one point, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
nope, it's not, and I'm not sure why. I think there even used to be an affiliate all the way up in the Danville, VA area (I know as I often got better reception on that station rather then the local AM one despite living in Apex). As you said the demand might not be there for it anymore, especially as I think basically every NHL game is covered on some satellite radio station and with the advent of synchronization with mobile devices it's cake to just stream the game from a smartphone. You'd think all of the sports networks would cover the in-state teams, but that hasn't seemed to be the case with either the Canes or the Bobcats in recent years.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
Everything that Canes are doing wrong in marketing and broadcasting, the Bobcats are doing 5x worse. They have NO presence outside of the Charlotte area, and some would say their presence there is even lacking. It wasn't until last year that games started being shown in the triangle area, and even then it's on a TWC special events channel that obviously everyone doesn't get. A friend of mine in Greenville said they didn't have access to that Bobcats channel and that ZERO games were shown in that market last year. The Hornets rebranding couldn't come at a better time for them to make a renewed effort to brand across the state.

As far as the Canes marketing goes, I don't see what harm it would be to take a few members of the staff out in the Stormy van with a goal, stick, and ball and let kids take some shots at county fairs and stuff like that across the state. Hand out some t-shirts, let the kids play some games, etc. It could go a long way towards getting the name out there in areas of the state with little to no Canes presence.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I might be wrong, but I think since Elizabeth City and surrounding areas are in the Norfolk TV viewing area, they get Comcast Sports Network instead of FSN.

Most people in Charlotte don't have much of an interest in the Bobcats for a variety of reasons (team is terrible, management is clueless, arena controversy, Hornets left town on bad terms, etc.) and until they turn things around, that's just how it's going to be. The name change will bring interest for a while but once that novelty runs out......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad