Post-Game Talk: Preseason: Leafs at Habs 7:30 TSN4 - Leafs lose 6-1. Oh no! We suck again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Isn't that the long term plan?

Matthews = #1C

Nylander/Marner = #2C

Kadri = #3C

a lot of people get all squirrelly when you say you want Kadri at 3rd because it's not fair to him, blah blah, he needs blah blah, statistically, blah blah. that's how ideally I'd see it, but as i've been saying all summer (heck, before the draft lottery so people can't say Matthews bias). we're still rebuilding and i personally believe regardless of any contract given, if they aren't getting it (which we won't see behind the scenes etc) and they're not contributing further down the line they COULD be moved.

Like Stephen, i don't really care if Kadri is the third centre or not. If he rounds out into form, then yay, if he doesn't then, bye Felicia. and truly I feel that way about 90-95% of the players on this team, for that fact that we are rebuilding. People are like noo we can't lose Leivo. Why? I know I joke about Freddy but realistically, if he has to go, see you. People mention Kadri could be traded (with or without his contract) and people go apoplectic.

anyhoo. again, i think this team will have a really different look to it when we start knocking on Contender's Door.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Odds are he will and Lou may have made his first mistake. He no longer has Anaheim in front of him and our defense is scarry.

Don't know about that. Most of them are too young to have a lot of scars.

Why exactly are the odds that he will bust? Other than a really bad first full game back from injury, nothing points towards that.

The Anaheim issue is a bit overstated. He had a good team in front of him, but they hung him out to dry a lot as well. Metrics that compare goaltenders to how an average NHL goaltender would perform given the chances given up still has Andersen as a solid starting goaltender.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Then why did they give him a 6 year contract???

And dont tell me trade bait

I never got the sense that long term contracts was an indication of commitment to a player. Ask PK Subban for one. Double check with Ryan Johansen.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Nonis gave those deals.

Big difference

still plenty of examples of players signing like term deals and then being dealt

things change and he may be here for the next decade or he may be gone in the near future but that will be determined by his play as well as how our prospects develop and not by the fact we signed him to a 6 year deal

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
It's only one game but I wasn't thrilled when we got andersen and I'm even less thrilled after that performance. We'll see though

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
still plenty of examples of players signing like term deals and then being dealt

things change and he may be here for the next decade or he may be gone in the near future but that will be determined by his play as well as how our prospects develop and not by the fact we signed him to a 6 year deal

The deal doesn't mean that they definitely want him here in the long-term, but it does mean that they are not against it either. If it wasn't a viable option in their book, they wouldn't have given him that contract.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The deal doesn't mean that they definitely want him here in the long-term, but it does mean that they are not against it either. If it wasn't a viable option in their book, they wouldn't have given him that contract.

never said they/i am against him being here long term

right now we have Mathews who should/will be ahead of him on the depth chart going forward but there's no guarantee Willie becomes a center and i'm not someone rushing him out the door

all i'm saying is his contract won't be the determining reason whether he stays long term

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
never said they/i am against him being here long term

right now we have Mathews who should/will be ahead of him on the depth chart going forward but there's no guarantee Willie becomes a center and i'm not someone rushing him out the door

all i'm saying is his contract won't be the determining reason whether he stays long term

Yeah I know and I agree with you, just thought I'd add that part.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Am I the only one that thinks Andersen is gonna bust big time this year?

Oh come on. It was one game that came after he had spent time rehabbing an injury. That is hardly enough of a sample size to determine that he is going to be a bust.

And if you remember, Belfour was terrible in the preseason (to the point of being booed if I remember correctly) and he turned out fine once the season started.

There is no reason to overreact after a single game.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Don't know about that. Most of them are too young to have a lot of scars.

Why exactly are the odds that he will bust? Other than a really bad first full game back from injury, nothing points towards that.

The Anaheim issue is a bit overstated. He had a good team in front of him, but they hung him out to dry a lot as well. Metrics that compare goaltenders to how an average NHL goaltender would perform given the chances given up still has Andersen as a solid starting goaltender.

If irc, Anahaim started so poorly last season that the majority of posters on the Ducks Forum were convinced that playoff were out of reach (at the same time Montreal thought they would win Stanley Cup)

They couldn't score goals even if their lives depended on it and defense were terrible (due to posters on the forum, I didnt see the games myself but I follow all teams with Danes on this board) but Andersen were absolutely brilliant and gave the team a chance in most, if not all, games. The defense catched up and then the forwards started to score goals right after Andersen got injured or sick (cant remember exactly) and Gibson came in (called up from AHL) and did a brilliant job, just as the team found the level everybody expected.

People tend to forget those first 12-15 games the Ducks had. I will also state that it is a very rare thing that the goalie doesnt get blamed at all when a Stanley Cup contender get a catastrophic start to the season as they did. That should tell you something. Im not worried about Andersen at all - but ... who knows. Everything can happen and Enroth claims the #1 spot in Toronto

Andersen let in too many softies thats true, but I think he let in fewer last year that the year before. I hope that is a trend :)

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
man this thread is depressing, season didnt even start yet and it sounds like its over

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Am I the only one that thinks Andersen is gonna bust big time this year?

Nope. I could tell by the way he held his pen when he signed his contract that he didn't have the elite skill and intestinal fortitude to lead the Leafs to the cup.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Andersen had a bad game, it happens. Wasn't that his first game back from injury?

Reminded me a lot of Carey Price's first game back against the Americans where he looked a little rusty too.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
And Sam Steel one of the picks they traded was WHL player of the week. :help:

Sam Steel was chosen in that spot, but there is zero evidence that the Leafs would have chosen him in that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad