Post-Game Talk: Preseason: Leafs at Habs 7:30 TSN4 - Leafs lose 6-1. Oh no! We suck again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pops

Sep 22, 2016
Kadri's entire body of work is what it is. He's a serviceable player and I don't doubt he could be a really useful piece in a limited role on a team like the Blackhawks, but it's frustrating watching the same underpowered game, inconsistent motor and attention to detail year after year. Turnover after turnover, looks like freshly graduating junior players, casualness with the puck. Weak arsenal of predictable offensive moves.
I really have a hard time believing that Kadri,will be around, after this season. He just doesn't have the offence in him, to be a top 6 guy. As we get better, players such as Kadri, will be replaced, by players, with more skill, and offensive upside. Kadri, is really a 3rd line centre, when it's all said and done.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I really have a hard time believing that Kadri,will be around, after this season. He just doesn't have the offence in him, to be a top 6 guy. As we get better, players such as Kadri, will be replaced, by players, with more skill, and offensive upside. Kadri, is really a 3rd line centre, when it's all said and done.

Statistically he lines up as an average 2nd line center. Even if he ends up being a #3 for us, that's no reason to not have him around.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010

With that flexible contract, love to have him as a 3rd line centre. The boy can play defence too, just needs to utilize his line mates more. I want Kadri and he will benefit us cap wise

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Statistically he lines up as an average 2nd line center. Even if he ends up being a #3 for us, that's no reason to not have him around.

Statistically true, but he needs to be upgraded on, or demoted to the third line at some point for the team to progress.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Statistically true, but he needs to be upgraded on, or demoted to the third line at some point for the team to progress.

Analytics generally disagree.

His production in terms of PPG is actually top half for 2Cs.
His possession numbers are I believe in the top 30 for full time NHL centers.

He has played with junk linemates for the last two years. Not saying he is a 1C (he isnt) but last year he played like a real good 2C.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Kadri's entire body of work is what it is. He's a serviceable player and I don't doubt he could be a really useful piece in a limited role on a team like the Blackhawks, but it's frustrating watching the same underpowered game, inconsistent motor and attention to detail year after year. Turnover after turnover, looks like freshly graduating junior players, casualness with the puck. Weak arsenal of predictable offensive moves.

Don't dump on the kid too much, its only one game... oh.... right he has a long history of playing great one game bad for the next 6.... carry on :D

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think a loss like this was needed to temper fan expectation and a reminder that the reality of the situation is the Leafs could easily finish at the bottom of the standings again this season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Analytics generally disagree.

His production in terms of PPG is actually top half for 2Cs.
His possession numbers are I believe in the top 30 for full time NHL centers.

He has played with junk linemates for the last two years. Not saying he is a 1C (he isnt) but last year he played like a real good 2C.

The best analogy I can use re: analytics vs the eyeball test is they're like the two lenses of a pair of 3D glasses. Each one gives you some distorted picture, but when you use them together you get a better sense of the picture.

Kadri has respectable numbers and is capable of playing well, but he's a 26 year old veteran who is just as guilty of being a junk linemate as any plug he's played with. Case in point, lackadaisically chasing the puck up the sidewall, losing the puck battle, causing a catastrophic turnover and forcing Mitch Marner to water ski a Hab player en route to an odd man rush against with no one back.

Overall, Kadri is a very disposable part.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The best analogy I can use re: analytics vs the eyeball test is they're like the two lenses of a pair of 3D glasses. Each one gives you some distorted picture, but when you use them together you get a better sense of the picture.

Exactly. Two different perspectives. The eye-test gives you qualitative measures, while analytics give you quantitative ones.

The eye test can show you that a player makes mistakes. Analytics can help you learn how often and how big of a problem it is.

Analytics can tell you that a player isn't great at breakout passes. The eye test can help you determine why.

Eye test will never be enough on its own, it's flaws are human flaws that we can't escape. Analytics are far from being good enough on their own, and to be frank why would you want to? We all love hockey and want to watch hockey, so why not use the info it gets us, right?

Pops

Sep 22, 2016
5 more years at 4.5 a year, for a 3rd line centre. When we have to start paying, our elite players, I don't see us paying that kind of coin, for a 3rd line centre.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Exactly. Two different perspectives. The eye-test gives you qualitative measures, while analytics give you quantitative ones.

The eye test can show you that a player makes mistakes. Analytics can help you learn how often and how big of a problem it is.

Analytics can tell you that a player isn't great at breakout passes. The eye test can help you determine why.

Eye test will never be enough on its own, it's flaws are human flaws that we can't escape. Analytics are far from being good enough on their own, and to be frank why would you want to? We all love hockey and want to watch hockey, so why not use the info it gets us, right?

The conclusion I'm drawing is Kadri isn't really a big part of the Leafs future.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Espn has ranked 2nd last....

Could it be? How good is Andersen without Anaheim in front of him? Lou may have made his first mistake. The numbers suggest he is no better than Bernier. That defense scares me and we badly need a vet to play with Reilly, if only for 2 years. The real question to me is this. Does the current regime openly state "playoffs" or do they covet another top 5 pick? We will have a new goalie who is pretty much unknown to us, a porous defense and a bunch of youngsters up front, some in their first year.Doesn't sound like playoffs to me.The Leafs have not made the improvements needed to jump from dead last to playoffs and they may be right if they think we do need one more top 5 to take a stud/top 2 Dman.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
1-Matthews
2-Kadri
3-Bozak/??????
4-Gauthier

Don't tell me Marner/Nylander will fill the 3rd line C role, they're clearly wingers in the NHL. Kadri makes too much money, we can always sign a vet who's good on draws and is responsible to handle the 3rd line spot. Bozak can fill the role but he'd need a pay cut for what he brings.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Am I the only one that thinks Andersen is gonna bust big time this year?

buttman*

1-Matthews
2-Kadri
3-Bozak/??????
4-Gauthier

Don't tell me Marner/Nylander will fill the 3rd line C role, they're clearly wingers in the NHL. Kadri makes too much money, we can always sign a vet who's good on draws and is responsible to handle the 3rd line spot. Bozak can fill the role but he'd need a pay cut for what he brings.

They are 19. Most kids that age are not even playing in the NHL.

This thread is so full of paranoia.

buttman*

Am I the only one that thinks Andersen is gonna bust big time this year?

Good call. One bad game. True Leaf fan. The sky is falling.

Do you really think a Babcock team is going to **** the bed every game like that?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Then why did they give him a 6 year contract???

And dont tell me trade bait

Kessel and Phaneuf got long term deals , it doesn't mean much .

Kadri may or may not be hear long term but his deal won't determine that .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad