Post-Game Talk: Preseason: Leafs at Habs 7:30 TSN4 - Leafs lose 6-1. Oh no! We suck again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think had they had Bozak and van Riemsdyk in the game it could have been different.

Veterans who aren't going to get overwhelmed, and someone who can win a face-off.

Bozak is also smart enough to play with Marner and doesn't need to carry the puck to make something happen.

People really think that Bozak and JVR are better than they really are.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Sure, lack of effort was evident, but, still, I think some of it is a consequence of players being moved around on lines and in and out of the line-up. Of course, you can still say, yeah, but, the effort just wasn't there. All I'm saying is that if you look at some of the individual performances, they weren't ALL without effort. No structure and not playing to the system also makes it look like guys aren't giving effort (or, you could say that in itself is lack of effort), but, that's not my point.

It's a preseason game where the major emphasis is on process and the system, so, the score doesn't matter much.

Two things good:
1. Matthews response to his goal - basically saying he doesn't care about scoring a goal, the loss was embarrassing - GREAT ATTITUDE!

2. Babcock's response to the game - not the overreaction we see here, in fact, he even took some blame, suggesting, we weren't prepared and we didn't prepare them.

afterthought - this is not a complaint, but, I really think if Babcock had been with this team for the last month, rather than at the World's, this team would be in a different place mentally, and structurally - not taking away from the assistant coaches, but, it just felt a bit like 'when the cat's away the mice will play' think kind of, in those first few exh. they were all free-wheeling and having fun (not that they weren't be coached to follow the system), just saying, it's different when the coach is at practice and got his eye on you, especially if the coach is Mike Babcock.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hopefully Lou kept the sales receipt on the Freddy Andersen transaction because we might need a refund on that trade if this is what we got.

Our Leafs look a lot different against an NHL roster then they did against earlier ECHL/AHL lineups.

Hopefully this was only an anomaly.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Yeah I think that whole Kapanen line goes down

Nylander back with Matthews
Marner back with Bozak

Marner and Matthews both need the puck and control the play imo

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I remember watching a preseason game a few years back, and was furious about a couple missed calls by the refs. Then I remembered it's preseason for them, too. They are going to blow it a bit worse than usual while they adjust back to top form. I decided I could let it go.

I have always had the same opinion for the players. Vets are just trying to find their legs and shake the rust off, without getting hurt. And rookies are trying to adjust to a new league, a higher level, while probably trying to hard to impress. Mistakes and poor performances will happen, I can let it go.

Today I'm coming to the same realization for the fans. We've all been starved for hockey, and have been overexcited to see the new guys like Marner and Andersen. We haven't been subjected to a blowout loss for a while, and everyones a bit rusty with their post-game overreactions. It's ok that this thread is full of insanity. It's preseason for us, too. Doing things wrong should be expected.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Don't think it would have mattered much when your goaltender let in 3 really bad goals, maybe even 4, and most of the lineup aside from a couple players had really bad games.

It was just one of those games where nothing worked and everything went against you. It happens. The response on Saturday from this group should be interesting to see. I'm expecting a heck of a game from Andersen and a few other players that had bad games.

Except part of the problem is they couldn't compete in their own zone, neutral zone and not much in the offensive zone. While neither Bozak or van Riemsdyk are great defensively, they're better than most of the kids in the line-up.

Canadiens didn't even work hard they so overmatched the Leafs in their own zone. Galchenyuk goal a prime example looked like a NHL player against junior players waiving their sticks in the air.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Hopefully Lou kept the sales receipt on the Freddy Andersen transaction because we might need a refund on that trade if this is what we got.

Our Leafs look a lot different against an NHL roster then they did against earlier ECHL/AHL lineups.

Who do you is better, Ottawa or Montreal?
One we dominated, the other not at all.

I didn't expect to win last night, just because of Price, but I did expect to dominate, when I didn't see this, I knew they weren't working.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I remember watching a preseason game a few years back, and was furious about a couple missed calls by the refs. Then I remembered it's preseason for them, too. They are going to blow it a bit worse than usual while they adjust back to top form. I decided I could let it go.

I have always had the same opinion for the players. Vets are just trying to find their legs and shake the rust off, without getting hurt. And rookies are trying to adjust to a new league, a higher level, while probably trying to hard to impress. Mistakes and poor performances will happen, I can let it go.

Today I'm coming to the same realization for the fans. We've all been starved for hockey, and have been overexcited to see the new guys like Marner and Andersen. We haven't been subjected to a blowout loss for a while, and everyones a bit rusty with their post-game overreactions. It's ok that this thread is full of insanity. It's preseason for us, too. Doing things wrong should be expected.

Pre-season is never about them, its always about your own team.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Dude is coming back from injury. First full game in over a month. Didn't even practice in that time.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Not sure why people are blaming this on Andersen.. he must of faced 5x the number of scoring chances that Price did in this game, and they were much harder scoring chances. We couldn't even get close to Price tonight for any decent opportunities, and we gave them free reign to do whatever they wanted in our zone. This was just a brutal, brutal game by pretty much everyone on the team tonight, hopefully this isn't what we can expect to see on a regular basis this season.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Hoping that was just rust on Anderson

Didn't see him enough in anh to know if he has those types of games/goals

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I didn't expect to win last night, just because of Price, but I did expect to dominate, when I didn't see this, I knew they weren't working.

Montreal with Price is one of the better teams. Could probably put the C on him, because without him they aren't the same team.

Ottawa has capable goalies, Montreal has a MVP in net.

Outside of Matthews goal, I think Price was tested once, but it was Kadri so with his shooting percent not really fair. :sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Kids come with built in enthusiasm by nature but they seem overwhelmed by Montreal almost in awe of the opposition.

The lack of effort by the squad was the most surprising overall.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
People really think that Bozak and JVR are better than they really are.

They are responsible as players we have in our team. We lacked some board presence, we couldn't sustain any pressure. The fact that Connor Carrick had to stand front of the net shows you how much we should value JVR

On the contrary, Bozak is really under appreciated in this threads. Probably due to the fact he's always compared to Kadri for the same position

We looked like bunch of amateurs last night in every facet of the game

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hoping that was just rust on Anderson

Didn't see him enough in anh to know if he has those types of games/goals

Andersen was brutal, but it was his first game in a month?

Everyone else had a few games against non-NHLers to get up to speed and look impressive, Andersen got his first start against a NHL team, with kids who didn't know what they were facing.

Hunwick was completely overmatched in his own zone, one the first goal his guy came out from behind the net completely uncovered, a later goal he is first to the puck but got physically overmatched and the puck went to a Hab who took it out front and it was his guy who slammed it home. No excuse for Hunwick, he's supposed to be a NHLer, and has played multiple games this preseason.

Preseason Leafs team against a mostly NHL Canadiens team.

Isn't meaningless for evaluating players outside of Andersen (due to his layoff) but for the other wannabees it isn't a game any of them are going to point to and say evaluate me on my performance on this one.

Babcock apparently talked about compete in this game. I'm not sure it was really due to lack of effort it might just be due to being overmatched, and the compete didn't look like it was there because of the disparity of the players involved. Picture a little boy being held by the top of his head by some fully grown man, and the boy wildly swinging his fists at the man ... that's all the compete he has and yet the man just stands there holding the top of his head. Compete can help make up minor gaps, but it can't make up a chasm.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think more important than the game last night, is how they rebound from it. Sometimes getting pounded like that offers a bit of a wake up call, and a lot of teachable moments to improve.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
I think had they had Bozak and van Riemsdyk in the game it could have been different.

Veterans who aren't going to get overwhelmed, and someone who can win a face-off.

Bozak is also smart enough to play with Marner and doesn't need to carry the puck to make something happen.

Sorry, mate, but gotta go with the Ray Liotta laugh on that one. Have you watched the Leafs the last few years. When Kessel was with the Leafs, the Coast Line (Kessel, JvR, Bozak) were absolutely the worst at being penned in their own end for minutes at a time, with the three of them doing little but hovering at the blue line, waiting for breakouts. Add in pre-season, a game going badly, and JvR and Bozak would absolutely check out - go into their best Chauncey Gardiner "I like to watch" mode. The only bright spot would be putting Steve Auston Matthews on their line, and watching him completely lose his mind with them over how lazy they are.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Was nice to see Matthews score his 1st NHL goal against an all world goalie in Price even if it was exhibition.

He blew that past Price and Carey barely moved on the play.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014

Put him with Hunwick. Part of Hunwick's problem is that he's all over the place (except the right place, of course). Jake could share his Silver Stick Special Blend that makes him so calm, and with any luck Hunny would stop racing around trying to do everything.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Put him with Hunwick. Part of Hunwick's problem is that he's all over the place (except the right place, of course). Jake could share his Silver Stick Special Blend that makes him so calm, and with any luck Hunny would stop racing around trying to do everything.

I think the issue is neither of them can play the off side well.
Also that might be too much even for Gardiner.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Anyone post the Matthews comment from Twitter yet?

"Auston Matthews scores first goal in #Leafs uniform, but was "embarrassed" at the team effort." Rob Longley Twitter.

So proud.

I know what you mean. when he scored, he just fist pumped and was like, ho hum, not first time. it's like it's a baby Steve yzerman post Scotty Bowman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not just judging him based on this preseason, but he is so overrated. I wonder if another season with a low-shooting percentage will be chalked up to bad luck.

Kadri's entire body of work is what it is. He's a serviceable player and I don't doubt he could be a really useful piece in a limited role on a team like the Blackhawks, but it's frustrating watching the same underpowered game, inconsistent motor and attention to detail year after year. Turnover after turnover, looks like freshly graduating junior players, casualness with the puck. Weak arsenal of predictable offensive moves.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Rielly was also brutal last night, seemed like he was out there for every goal against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad