GDT: Preseason Hockey! Your New Jersey Devils vs. Boston Bruins, 7 PM, Devils App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Hope I'm proven wrong.

See the Hughes line getting pinned in its own end a lot. Think the Haula line is the de facto shutdown group.

Bastian line and Vukojovic pair looks like young guys being thrown in the deep end to prove they belong.

Holtz off Hughes' line mean anything or just an attempt to collect more data?
Wondering the same. Or are they showcasing players for possible trades?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I think his final year of junior was spent at center, if I recall correctly.

Not sure what the point is of putting him there tonight is - would've rather just seen Boqvist get another opportunity in that spot instead. There's only 2 more preseason games after tonight and those are usually used to ice close to the final roster, so I have a bad feeling about Boqvist based off what we've seen so far. Might be a decent chance he gets place on waivers instead of Johnsson.
Might have made this point in one of the previous GDTs or the general discussion.

After three seasons, Devils know what they have in Boqvist.

Using preseason games to give others a look doesn't necessarily mean he is out of the picture.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm going to the game but I'm surprised this game isn't on MSG tonight with it being a home game, I know they don't show all the road games for pre-season when they play at teams that aren't the Rangers/Islanders but I thought they usually put all the home games on and they have nothing else on tonight anyway.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

If I'm counting on my fingers correctly, Boston sending the bare minimum 8 veterans: Frederic-Coyle-Smith-Nosek-Reilly-Clifton-Carrick-Kinkaid

Reactions: HBK27

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Do we even know the lineup for tonight?

All I see are the cast of Bruins who's who of former Devils jabroni's in Greer, Carrick and Kinkaid.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Holtz off Hughes' line mean anything or just an attempt to collect more data?

Probably means nothing in terms of his chances of making the team. They might want to see how different combinations work out. The lines change so much during the season with injuries or just reshuffles to get a different look, so it doesn't hurt to have some idea of which guys might show chemistry by trying them together in preseason.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Hows the new Devils app? Haven't been able to watch the last few games so if it's on there I guess I'll have to download it.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
Just checked in to say: I hate the Bruins more than any team in any sport.

I’ll probably repeat this multiple times tonight and throughout the season like I have for many years.

That is all.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I have zero recollection of Bastian ever playing center.
Well he hasn’t done it very often but apparently he’s not bad at face-offs.

C92F78C6-7996-44E6-A769-9AF142DE48F8.jpeg

Reactions: My3Sons

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Hasn't Greer has looked really good this preseason? I've only seen one game, but I think he scored twice in it.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Just checked in to say: I hate the Bruins more than any team in any sport.

I’ll probably repeat this multiple times tonight and throughout the season like I have for many years.

That is all.
Was going to say that, relative to some of our other rivals, the B's are not that bad.

But, given your handle, I'll defer to your judgment :laugh:

Reactions: BostonDevil

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Nice to catch a break and avoid facing Zacha tonight. I fear we wouldn't be able to contain him
He will have his moments as he always does. Maybe on a team carried by its veterans where he is asked to just be a supporting role player he can have better success. He just couldn't make the jump to core player in NJ.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

If I'm counting on my fingers correctly, Boston sending the bare minimum 8 veterans: Frederic-Coyle-Smith-Nosek-Reilly-Clifton-Carrick-Kinkaid

Greer has been great in his looks the past month. Has a good chance of making the opening night roster if he keeps it up.

Our new coach seems to be letting the boys fight again, something our former coach was criticized for squashing by the fanbase.

Zacha has looked good in the little we've seen him on ice so far. Good skater, smart, playing sound D and making plays. Needs to be with scoring/playmaking talent as well if he is going to succeed in the spoked B. He will be a top 6 winger while Marchand is out and get a good look with either Bergeron or Krejci. It's all in his hands from there.

PS: Watch out for that second line. The kids are hot.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
Was going to say that, relative to some of our other rivals, the B's are not that bad.

But, given your handle, I'll defer to your judgment :laugh:
Yeah, I have to live with these One-Cup-In-50-Years-Clowns

Also, if I’m forced to deal with Jack Edwards, I’ll probably watch with the sound off or won’t even watch at all.

I hate them so much!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Greer has been great in his looks the past month. Has a good chance of making the opening night roster if he keeps it up.

Our new coach seems to be letting the boys fight again, something our former coach was criticized for squashing by the fanbase.

Zacha has looked good in the little we've seen him on ice so far. Good skater, smart, playing sound D and making plays. Needs to be with scoring/playmaking talent as well if he is going to succeed in the spoked B. He will be a top 6 winger while Marchand is out and get a good look with either Bergeron or Krejci. It's all in his hands from there.

I have McLaughlin on my keeper league team, so I'm mildly optimistic that he'll crack the B's roster. Looked solid in the game recaps I watched over the weekend.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Zacha is a good player. The issue is that he could be a very good player with his tools. You're always left wanting a little more. I think he will do well with Boston, but there are times he's going to drive you nuts.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad