GDT: Preseason Hockey! Game #2 - Your New Jersey Devils vs. New York Islanders, 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Easy choice if you ask me.

Jack's goal is exactly what Palat brings that's needed for that line. I just can't agree here. You can't just have 3 "off the rush" players and expect it to work. Also, Palat has played with finesse players like his whole career.
Palat and Holtz made that Hughes goal happen by going to the boards and winning the puck. If Holtz helps with that it really adds a new dimension to Jack's game. I expect he'd be a fantastic floater waiting for Palat and Holtz to get him pucks in scoring position where he could just shoot without having to drive the net or get hit.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
He was fine last night and should get better with time. I was mildly perturbed that he said something about Dano seeing "most if not all" of John MacLean's games, despite Johnny Mac playing about 4 1/2 seasons in the NHL after leaving the Devils, but I'll give him a pass on that one...

Dano was all over the place, even worse than usual. It's like his brain can't keep up with his mouth and he's just frantically searching through the rolodex of chiche's in his mind to find the proper one as he rambles on over the play. I really like Dano personally and I know he's locked in that position, but seems like Salvador would be a better color commentator. Really like the insight Bryce brings to the broadcast.
he was also tom hanks dentist in castaway which is interesting.
I'd still make it, you need a solid foundation for a team to grow and he's a big part of that, even if his numbers alone don't justify $9M a year.
yeah i get it... and they had the cap room etc.

Jack's goal is exactly what Palat brings that's needed for that line. I just can't agree here. You can't just have 3 "off the rush" players and expect it to work. Also, Palat has played with finesse players like his whole career.
completely agree with you ... he needs a good veteran with skill that understands how to do small things right and palat brings that .. he will find hughes at the right times on ice and vice versa...

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
Last year was rough for him because of injuries, but if he pots 55-65 points this year, which I think is a strong possibility with natural progressions (from him and other players) and a better PP with Brunette, he’s worth it.
thats what we are all hoping for.... i guess i thought he as a little better defensively etc.. bottom line this team has lots of NHL depth... hope it translates into meaningful hockey in the last 15 games

Exactly. He was far from bad defensively.
i don't think he was bad... but not a shut down number 1 dman prototype perhaps he never was ... doesn't matter he's here we have him signed for awhile so hope he rebounds w a good season

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
He is not and has never been a shutdown guy. But being a guy who drives play covers a lot of ground in preventing goals against, and he’s gonna be paired with a guy who disrupts play REALLY well.

Reactions: Lou is God

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Tbf guys like Jack and Bratt are better off the rush but their in zone offense is still great. Nico on the other hand who people would likely think of as more of a cycle guy than a rush guy is actually great off the rush and doesn’t create much off the cycle

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He wasn’t bad defensively to start last year either and he was his strong playdriving self. Hopefully being healthy again and having the backup of a D God besides him will have him back to peak form. That form is easily worth 9
People keep mentioning PP, and while a non-dog shit one is pretty essential for us to be respectable, Hamilton’s value comes a lot from how productive he can be 5v5.

Hamilton was freaking wiring the puck at the net in the preseason game. Last season, pre-goldfish bowl, he really impressed me as a goal scorer.

He potted a couple of high skilled goals last season off of some dodgy looking passes, he can instantly corral, control and shoot a puck most players would fumble with.

I really feel like a healthy Dougie could get close to 20 goals. I fear I will regret writing that, not that I care about being wrong (preseason predictions are guesses folks), but I always have the irrational sense that when I do this I’m:

It comes from not being comfortable with adopting any pure form of optimism I guess. Still, I’m pretty enthusiastic about a motivated Dougie.

I also looked at Rangers Athletic preview and remembering that Goodrow has a 5 year/3.64m deal left (with a 15 team no trade list & signing bonuses in his last 2 years to prevent a buyout!) made me feel way better about Palat’s 5 year/6m deal lol. People defended Goodrow’s deal too lol.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I don't see any possible way they waive Zetterlund. I'd be floored if they did.
This. He has value . No way we toss that away by waiving him.
He has a future with the team while guys like Johnson and Tatar do not. They are as good as gone next year after their contracts are up , and even sooner if they can.
Only thing that worries me is optics . Getting a veter like Tatar to sign here only to waive him or scratch him in his second year is a little awkward . Hoepfully that is not the reason he has a roster spot but he simply is not as good as other options we have ….

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
He wasn’t bad defensively to start last year either and he was his strong playdriving self. Hopefully being healthy again and having the backup of a D God besides him will have him back to peak form. That form is easily worth 9
If we get the Dougie we had like the first handful of games he played for us… it’s worth it. He was driving play and was crushing it statistically. As in near the top of the league for D good .

Reactions: Devs3cups
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad