GDT: Preseason Hockey! Game #2 - Your New Jersey Devils vs. New York Islanders, 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
right? and that was with Hischier being there EVERY game. It was maddening to watch. I’d love for this coming season to be the nail in the coffin for Recchi’s coaching career. But if Adam Oates could claw his way to relevance for so many years despite being a terrible coach, i doubt Recchi’s going away any time soon.

Spaulding yes, Dano no, and i normally love Dano even though i don’t think he’s a great fit for the job. But i’m sure he got more than enough “let the new guy talk” comments after last night so we’ll see how the rest of preseason goes.

You might have forgotten, but Recchi is gone. :laugh:. Or I misread and you're saying he shouldn't get another gig anywhere else.

I think Brunette is running the PP presumably, correct?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Was everyone a fan of Bill Spaulding in his first game last night?

Spaulding was fine. Didn't stand out either way as being remarkably excellent or horrible. I think it'll take some getting used to listening to him call games, but that's it.

Dano, on the other hand, was rambling like crazy at times. Like late-season form, "the team is 30 points out of a playoff spot" hardcore rambling. Sometimes it's endearing, but last night it came off as weird.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
You might have forgotten, but Recchi is gone. :laugh:. Or I misread and you're saying he shouldn't get another gig anywhere else.

I think Brunette is running the PP presumably, correct?
Yeah i’m saying he shouldn’t ever get another coaching job. Brunette’s definitely been working with the powerplay units all throughout camp and it looks like it’s really paid off so far.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
Another aside:

I like the change from MSG+ to MSGSN.

Just makes it sound a little less overflow-y.
Yeah but that app still doesn’t work. Screw them and screw Verizon.

I didn`t like previous PA announcer, but as I remember he is a devils fan> Just imagine he is hfboards user. Former user at least.
Good point G-Money. Editing my post.

Reactions: Guadana

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Was not a big Cangialosi fan so fairly low bar for me. Place I watched had the sound on the Yankees game - he couldn't possibly be more of a hometown shill than Michael Kay and David Cone so Spaulding gets a pass by default. 😆

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

He was fine last night and should get better with time. I was mildly perturbed that he said something about Dano seeing "most if not all" of John MacLean's games, despite Johnny Mac playing about 4 1/2 seasons in the NHL after leaving the Devils, but I'll give him a pass on that one...

Dano was all over the place, even worse than usual. It's like his brain can't keep up with his mouth and he's just frantically searching through the rolodex of chiche's in his mind to find the proper one as he rambles on over the play. I really like Dano personally and I know he's locked in that position, but seems like Salvador would be a better color commentator. Really like the insight Bryce brings to the broadcast.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
Game was a lot of fun! Really liked what we saw across the board. Thought Vanecek looked solid in goal, liked what the defense did as a whole. Holtz already looks improved from last year with the little things. Helps win a board battle and the vision to see Jack out front with a perfect pass.

Wood-Haula-Mercer look to have some chemistry, hope it sticks. Haula looks to be what we've sorely needed in the middle of our lineup.
loved palat's game.. just what the doctor ordered for a guy like hughes and the team in general small simple plays in all zones... sorely needed on this team...
I still think Hamilton is overatted. i know why they signed him at the time.. but if I could dial back time i don't make that deal. liked what i saw from the rest of the guys

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
they won't have to rush Nemec into the lineup this season. Barring injuries

jonas/ severson
graves/hammy
marino/ smith/bahl/ohutick/hickey / walsh/ Nemec ( in no order)

I wouldn't mind signing Hickey and let him and smith rotate .... let bahl/ohitkuk nemac and walsh get lots of minutes in utica and call them up as needed..

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
loved palat's game.. just what the doctor ordered for a guy like hughes and the team in general small simple plays in all zones... sorely needed on this team...
I still think Hamilton is overatted. i know why they signed him at the time.. but if I could dial back time i don't make that deal. liked what i saw from the rest of the guys
I'd still make it, you need a solid foundation for a team to grow and he's a big part of that, even if his numbers alone don't justify $9M a year.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He was fine last night and should get better with time. I was mildly perturbed that he said something about Dano seeing "most if not all" of John MacLean's games, despite Johnny Mac playing about 4 1/2 seasons in the NHL after leaving the Devils, but I'll give him a pass on that one...

Dano was all over the place, even worse than usual. It's like his brain can't keep up with his mouth and he's just frantically searching through the rolodex of chiche's in his mind to find the proper one as he rambles on over the play. I really like Dano personally and I know he's locked in that position, but seems like Salvador would be a better color commentator. Really like the insight Bryce brings to the broadcast.
I describe it as a Victorian marriage at this point, we’re stuck with him.

Oh well, he’s super friendly and the memes give us vital sustenance. (Or that’s me. They give me vital sustenance. You can’t ever stop @NjDevsRR. Ever.)

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

He was probably rambling more than usual because he has a new partner. Perhaps he was trying extra hard to keep up the conversation or make Spaulding feel at home

If this is Ken going forward though I may have to stream a second game and listen to that teams feed

Reactions: My3Sons

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
You can’t ever stop @NjDevsRR. Ever.)
115077E9-D8EA-49E9-B149-9D397119FD5C.jpeg

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Dano was all over the place, even worse than usual. It's like his brain can't keep up with his mouth and he's just frantically searching through the rolodex of chiche's in his mind to find the proper one as he rambles on
sounds like some lawyers I know

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I'd still make it, you need a solid foundation for a team to grow and he's a big part of that, even if his numbers alone don't justify $9M a year.
Last year was rough for him because of injuries, but if he pots 55-65 points this year, which I think is a strong possibility with natural progressions (from him and other players) and a better PP with Brunette, he’s worth it.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Last year was rough for him because of injuries, but if he pots 55-65 points this year, which I think is a strong possibility with natural progressions (from him and other players) and a better PP with Brunette, he’s worth it.

He wasn’t bad defensively to start last year either and he was his strong playdriving self. Hopefully being healthy again and having the backup of a D God besides him will have him back to peak form. That form is easily worth 9

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
He wasn’t bad defensively to start last year either and he was his strong playdriving self. Hopefully being healthy again and having the backup of a D God besides him will have him back to peak form. That form is easily worth 9
Exactly. He was far from bad defensively.

Reactions: Hisch13r

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
It doesn't matter if they like him more than Studs. I think it's going to come down to whether they value him more than Geertsen, Johnsson or Tatar.

Easy choice if you ask me.

re: Palat with Hughes, i just don’t think their games sync up, and that’s how it’s looked in their games and scrimmages together IMO. To me, Palat’s more of a cycle guy than an east-west rush guy, and Hughes and Holtz (especially Holtz) aren’t there yet. But if Palat can get to the net and clean up rebounds and loose pucks, i can see it working. I’m just not sure it’s the best fit.

Jack's goal is exactly what Palat brings that's needed for that line. I just can't agree here. You can't just have 3 "off the rush" players and expect it to work. Also, Palat has played with finesse players like his whole career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad