GDT: Preseason Hockey! Game #2 - Your New Jersey Devils vs. New York Islanders, 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Apparently this game is on NHLN tonight.

Hoping it's Bill Spaulding and the Devils feed and not Brendan Burke and Butch.

I forget how they've done it in recent years, but it used to be sometimes for the earlier preseason games they would combine Devils/Islanders announcers and Devils/Rangers announcers for some games. I remember Steve and Chico (maybe Dano in recent years too) with Joe Michelletti during Rangers/Devils preseason games and same with an Islanders/Devils combo for the Islanders/Devils games.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't wait to take a sledgehammer to something when Geertsen-McLeod-Bastian is the 4th line, while someone like Tatar or Johnsson is a healthy scratch.

I know we don't really like Tatar or Johnsson, but Geertsen shouldn't even be on the roster, let alone playing over anybody. We just sandbag our lineup by dressing a goon in the year TWO-THOUSAND-TWENTY-TWO, where I'm pretty sure about 75% of the league, maybe even 80% of the league doesn't even carry a goon on their NHL roster anymore.

And I know..... ''Oh it's preseason! It means nothing! Just because that's a line in a preseason game doesn't mean it'll actually be a line in the regular season!''. That would actually be rational if this were a line that we haven't ever seen before (this was an actual line from last year for games) or if Geertsen were on a line with at least one guy that in all likelihood won't even be on the opening night roster.

I'd actually be less scared if he were on a line with somebody that was actually good and not a 4th liner, as we know for a fact that it's an incredibly safe bet that he'd never play with that player in a regular season game, unless half the forward roster was injured/sick.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I can't wait to take a sledgehammer to something when Geertsen-McLeod-Bastian is the 4th line, while someone like Tatar or Johnsson is a healthy scratch.

I know we don't really like Tatar or Johnsson, but Geertsen shouldn't even be on the roster, let alone playing over anybody. We just sandbag our lineup by dressing a goon in the year TWENTY-THOUSAND-TWENTY-TWO, where I'm pretty sure about 75% of the league, maybe even 80% of the league doesn't even carry a goon on their NHL roster anymore.

And I know..... ''Oh it's preseason! It means nothing! Just because that's a line in a preseason game doesn't mean it'll actually be a line in the regular season!''. That would actually be rational if this were a line that we haven't ever seen before (this was an actual line from last year for games) or if Geertsen were on a line with at least one guy that in all likelihood won't even be on the opening night roster.

I'd actually be less scared if he were on a line with somebody that was actually good and not a 4th liner, as we know for a fact that it's an incredibly safe bet that he'd never play with that player in a regular season game, unless half the forward roster was injured/sick.
It's Two thousand Twenty Two. Math isn't my best subject either so don't take it to heart.....

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's Two thousand Twenty Two. Math isn't my best subject either so don't take it to heart.....
The same will be true for the actual twenty thousand and twenty two.

The same should have been true every year. Goons aren't needed.

This was a very controversial statement from me back in 1991 when I started really pounding this drum. It's certainly not a controversial statement in 2022, as most of us seem to agree on this. Most NHL front offices seem to agree on this, as they don't employ one on their NHL teams in 2022.

Our front office is not one of them.

The only other people who would really have a problem with my statement are the actual goons themselves.

Having goons on my team makes me almost back banning fighting from the NHL. I don't have a problem with the fighting. It's fine for the teams that actually police themselves so to speak, by banning goons from their NHL rosters.

I don't care how great they are for the locker room. I don't care if they make people laugh. I don't care if one reads this post and is offended that I insulted his job.

If they're only here to fight and can't play.....Then keep them the f*** away!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The same will be true for the actual twenty thousand and twenty two.

The same should have been true every year. Goons aren't needed.

This was a very controversial statement from me back in 1991 when I started really pounding this drum. It's certainly not a controversial statement in 2022, as most of us seem to agree on this. Most NHL front offices seem to agree on this, as they don't employ one on their NHL teams in 2022.

Our front office is not one of them.

The only other people who would really have a problem with my statement are the actual goons themselves.

Having goons on my team makes me almost back banning fighting from the NHL. I don't have a problem with the fighting. It's fine for the teams that actually police themselves so to speak, by banning goons from their NHL rosters.

I don't care how great they are for the locker room. I don't care if they make people laugh. I don't care if one reads this post and is offended that I insulted his job.

If they're only here to fight and can't play.....Then keep them the f*** away!
"Goons aren't needed" isn't a controversial statement in my opinion....It hasn't been for a very long time

Where it gets weird is when people use that statement to pretend that a team full of 5'10 - 175lbs players that are allergic to any type of blue paint isn't an issue. And/or that size, strength and physical play doesn't mean anything.

There is often a strange conflating of Goons and big, strong, physical players when these conversation arise....And for the life of me, I don't understand it.

Last edited:

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Apparently this game is on NHLN tonight.

Hoping it's Bill Spaulding and the Devils feed and not Brendan Burke and Butch.

I forget how they've done it in recent years, but it used to be sometimes for the earlier preseason games they would combine Devils/Islanders announcers and Devils/Rangers announcers for some games. I remember Steve and Chico (maybe Dano in recent years too) with Joe Michelletti during Rangers/Devils preseason games and same with an Islanders/Devils combo for the Islanders/Devils games.
The Islanders crew isn't calling the game. I don't think Butch is doing preseason this year so it'll only be Spaulding and Dano.

Reactions: Bleedred

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
"Goons aren't needed" isn't a controversial statement in my opinion....It hasn't been for a very long time

Where it gets weird is when people use that statement to pretend that a team full of 5'10 - 175lbs players that are allergic to any type of blue paint isn't an issue. And/or that size, strength and physical play doesn't mean anything.

There is often a strange conflating of Goons and big, strong, physical players when these conversation arise....And for the life of me, I don't understand it.
It's an overcorrection, about 15 years ago a lot of skill was left out of the league due to it being undersized, that was silly, in particular on D where there were pylons everywhere, so a lot of people take the position that size doesn't matter at all. Then you bring up the importance of size re: board work and getting to / preventing players from getting to the danger areas and they bring up the guys who are small but with ridiculous leg strength or the guys who are big who shy away from contact.

Still you watch hockey games from 25 years ago it's almost unrecognizably slow, the speedy skill guys did revolutionize play for sure. Not sure what's behind it mostly if it's an artifact of rule changes or analytics improvements or a generation of kids learning how to play hockey from age 6 due to the potential windfall of a multimillion dollar contract at the end of it, I'm not sure.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I am not a fan of swapping Goalvich with Tatar..

I guess that want to get Tatar going..

I don't think they'll go with Tatar there going forward when the season actually starts. Yegor had 3 goals in 2 scrimmages with the others. If it didn't work then I'd be a little concerned that they're actually changing it but I'm not worried. They'll switch back

Reactions: Devs3cups
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad