GDT: Preseason GDT Pens vs Wings 1900hrs EST: Someone will be flying tonight

Tonights line up:

• Looks exciting!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Sully is finally playing the young guys!

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Who?

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
The only thing I can take away from this game and you should too is WBS should be a better team this year.

That's it

Go to bed

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Harkins and Zohorna looked pretty good, noticeable throughout, Hino quite a bit as well. Like our goaltender tonight.

Smith is not an NHL player, closer to ECHL than NHL. Terrible vision, puck management and below NHL speed, wish someone claimed him TBH.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think I may have lost hope in Nylander.
I thought Poulin played well. (much better than his chart showed)
I've never been high on Nylander. He's invisible for too long. Even Puustinen, who is substantially smaller, does a better job winning board battles and chipping in elsewhere when he doesn't have the puck.

Reactions: The Old Master

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I've never been high on Nylander. He's invisible for too long. Even Puustinen, who is substantially smaller, does a better job winning board battles and chipping in elsewhere when he doesn't have the puck.

Nylander coast to much. He had a good back check late but for the most part I just see a worse version of kap.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Main preseason takeaway for me- past the bottom 6, I like our 12-16F depth. But I absolutely hate the 6-9D depth.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So our best statistical forward tonight was Puustinen?…lol..thank god Sullivan spent the pregame damning him with faint praise…

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think Harkins' presence is going to cost Wagner a contract.

After tonight, my guess is Harkins and Zohorna start the season with the Pens as the 12/13 forwards.

Nylander and Puustinen will be called up first if a top six winger is hurt.

Poulin will be the first call if a center is hurt.

Hinostroza will the first call if they need a bottom six guy.

Ruhwedel and Shea will be the 6/7 defensemen unless POJ is banged up enough that it's worth keeping Smith instead of Shea. Smith didn't do enough on his own to win a job outright, but he'll be first up if an offensive defenseman or a left sided defenseman is hurt.

I think Friedman is just to chaotic for Sullivan to keep around.
You did not listen to Sullivan’s presser then. Wagner is making the team…the coaching staff loves him, on and off the ice…you would think he was married to one of Sullivan’s nieces the way Sullivan gushed about him lol

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Like I mentioned earlier in the game, I’m going to be disappointed if signing Johnsson will prevent them from having a spot for Wagner. Wagner looks much better and would be a much more useful guy to shuttle between WBS and Pittsburgh than Johnsson.

I’d actually be pretty content with their F depth if they have Zohorna/Harkins as their 13th forward and Wagner, Poulin, Hinostroza and Puustinen as the forward call-up. They need better 3rd line pieces but the depth beyond the NHL is definitely there.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Like I mentioned earlier in the game, I’m going to be disappointed if signing Johnsson will prevent them from having a spot for Wagner. Wagner looks much better and would be a much more useful guy to shuttle between WBS and Pittsburgh than Johnsson.

I’d actually be pretty content with their F depth if they have Zohorna/Harkins as their 13th forward and Wagner, Poulin, Hinostroza and Puustinen as the forward call-up. They need better 3rd line pieces but the depth beyond the NHL is definitely there.

Why would Johnsson prevent them from having a spot for Wagner?

They are at 47 contracts with nobody left to sign. According to Capfriendly they currently have 945k in cap without a 7th D up, but with 13 forwards with Jake injured. They can move Nylander or drop Haskins to waivers again and easily fit him in if they'd like.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The only thing I can take away from this game and you should too is WBS should be a better team this year.

That's it

Go to bed
They’ll be good but the downside is it’ll be because of a bunch of journeymen, not prospects. They’ll have so many they’ll have to sit a few of them most nights due to the AHL veteran rule.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why would Johnsson prevent them from having a spot for Wagner?

They are at 47 contracts with nobody left to sign. According to Capfriendly they currently have 945k in cap without a 7th D up, but with 13 forwards with Jake injured. They can move Nylander or drop Haskins to waivers again and easily fit him in if they'd like.

Veteran limits in the AHL.

Reactions: lokomotiv15

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Hino overskated a bit there which allowed his man a good opportunity and Edmundson buries it
haha not Edmundson, that was Edvinsson.

Joel Edmundson = 30 yo 6'-5" defenseman from Manitoba. Scored 2 goals in 61 games last year for Capitals.
Simon Edvinsson = 20 yo 6'-6" defenseman from Sweden. the #6 OA pick in 2021 draft. He scored 2 goals in his first 9 game stint up with Wings last season.

Which now, doesn't seem to be a fluke. The big kid can certainly score.

Edvinsson >>> Edmundson

Reactions: WickedWrister

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
My takeaway after watching most of this game is, we are in big trouble.
I was way more optimistic this summer. But after training camp, plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose.

Way too many journeymen on a team with Cup aspirations. Teams that are top-heavy in the NHL will win because of the talent of their cheap contracts. The Pens have precious little talent beyond the first power-play unit it is scary.

Oh, and this assumes that the most talented players from last night's game will all be gone by opening night. Because, you know, how can you possibly get rid of the Chad Ruhwedel's, the Austin Wagner's, the Jansen Harkins' and the Vinnie Hinostroza's of this world!!! You can't I tell you. Not only are they good hockey players, but they are even better people!

Ugh.

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The Pens have precious little talent beyond the first power-play unit it is scary.

Uh yeah... so about that first powerplay unit... I have some bad news.

Nobody should get too worked up about preseason. Especially when your best players are old farts and aren't trying very hard if at all. But it's still been kind of a lackluster show of things all the way around.

Reactions: Andy99

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
They’ll be good but the downside is it’ll be because of a bunch of journeymen, not prospects. They’ll have so many they’ll have to sit a few of them most nights due to the AHL veteran rule.
This is the Hershey Bears method. Always a Calder Cup contender despite the Caps not having any legit prospects for as long as us. They just pay up for good AHL vets.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Main preseason takeaway for me- past the bottom 6, I like our 12-16F depth. But I absolutely hate the 6-9D depth.
It's preseason. What everyone should know going in and expecting.
I know penguins hockey is tough to watch with Sullivan... but I don't enjoy it like I did before this guy that needed firing can now no longer be fired... something isn't right.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Uh yeah... so about that first powerplay unit... I have some bad news.

Nobody should get too worked up about preseason. Especially when your best players are old farts and aren't trying very hard if at all. But it's still been kind of a lackluster show of things all the way around.
Very is my answer to this article….the first 8-10 games will be telling…as an old, Sullivan-run group, we need a very good PP and really good goaltending to even make the playoffs because we ain’t gonna score much at 5v5…

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad