GDT: Preseason Game 9 : WINGS at leafs 7:00 pm et (NHLN)

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Larkin has to be banged up. Tonight and just as much on Thursday he never got into high gear. It's devastating if he and AA are hurt.

When was Larkin injured last season? If I remember correctly he came back and played through it but was not 100%. That's what this reminds me of. It's worrisome that it may not be something he can recover from...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Totally agree. After that performance, both Rass and Svech would be in my opening night lineup. Svech is hungry and he’s showed it. The vets on this team are acting like it’s a country club
… or get rid of DLR and send Ehn down. Neither can score, should be 4th line or GR for those 2. Abby, Helm, Ehn, and DLR should never be on any line except the 4th.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
… or get rid of DLR and send Ehn down. Neither can score, should be 4th line or GR for those 2. Abby, Helm, Ehn, and DLR should never be on any line except the 4th.
I agree with that statement. My ideal but realistic lines would be:

Bert- Larkin- mantha
Hirose- AA- Svech
Rass- Fil- Erne
Abby/helm- Nielsen- glenny

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If it was up to me:
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Athanasiou-Filppula-Svechnikov
Erne-Nielsen-Rasmussen
Ehn-Glendening-DeLaRose
(Helm/Abdelkader)

Dekeyser-Hronek
Daley-Green
Nemeth-Bowey
(Ericsson)

Hirose, Cholowski and Seider in Grand Rapids.

Reactions: Realgud

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Larkin has to be banged up. Tonight and just as much on Thursday he never got into high gear. It's devastating if he and AA are hurt.

When was Larkin injured last season? If I remember correctly he came back and played through it but was not 100%. That's what this reminds me of. It's worrisome that it may not be something he can recover from...
It's not like I'm happy he's injured but to assume it's something he'll never recover is kinda ridiculous.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
I do think Blashill will be a sacrificial lamb at the end of this season, regardless of how much of it is legitimately his fault.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I know he is I said ideally he would be up. He’s played well enough to be imo
Yeah, I like your lines. Hopefully they call him up sooner than later.

If they play like this in the regular season, I can see the youngsters getting called mid season to replace healthy players. This team is going to be hard to watch early season.

Reactions: hkydave04

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Time to put this one in the bin and get ourselves ready for opening night. DLR and Bowey are on thin ice, despite Bowey’s previous game. Would like to see Seider playing 4 of the first 6 games and for Hirose to take DLR’s spot.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018

What? He was fine tonight, aside from a brutal opening shift. Matched up against Matthews all night, and kept him in his own zone for most of the game (at even strength). 70% Corsi for, 48.11 relative xgf%. He had a great game imo.

Larkin came back March 12th of last season, and didn't have a point for the first three games after his injury. Has 11 pts in the last 8 games of the season. He's healthy, he's fine. Nothing to be worried about. Maybe should've been more "ready to play", turning the puck over twice in the first 30 seconds of that game, but aside from that he's one of the last players I'm worried about after tonight.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Yeah. They are up against the cap with zero flexibility. And, to me, their D is worse than the last two years. I agree the division is going to be much more difficult for Toronto with Montreal, Detroit, and Florida all improving and Toronto not getting better where they needed to and being worse on the PK and bottom 6/secondary scoring.

Good thing your perception is not reality.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
bad effort or out classed by an obviously more talented roster

Last real game Detroit and Leafs (both teams w/starting roster) Wings' won and outshot them 33 to 19 and embarrassed the Leafs. The game before that (w/ starting roster) Red Wings handedly outshot them 30 to 24 but lost in OT.

This was simply an unprepared starting line-up by Blashill... and nothing more. Babcock gets the nod for having his boys ready and skating... which is one of the reason's why I consider him a good coach = preparation (probably his strongest attribute as a head coach in light of his many glaring holes that make him a subpar coach aka, Hyam TOI).

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
What? He was fine tonight, aside from a brutal opening shift. Matched up against Matthews all night, and kept him in his own zone for most of the game (at even strength). 70% Corsi for, 48.11 relative xgf%. He had a great game imo.

Larkin came back March 12th of last season, and didn't have a point for the first three games after his injury. Has 11 pts in the last 8 games of the season. He's healthy, he's fine. Nothing to be worried about. Maybe should've been more "ready to play", turning the puck over twice in the first 30 seconds of that game, but aside from that he's one of the last players I'm worried about after tonight.

Thanks. Maybe it was my poor reception but it didn't seem like he made into high gear like usual. I mean he's possibly the 2nd or 3rd fastest hockey player in the world. Just saw the article from last week and yeah it's his foot. I thought this was related to his back/obliques from last season, my bad.

I still think they should have rested him till next week but I get the decision.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I do think Blashill will be a sacrificial lamb at the end of this season, regardless of how much of it is legitimately his fault.

The injuries, lack of competition, and the glaring number of players that only played a couple preseason games, combined with one of the single worst hockey games ever, from his hand selected A team, is enough justification to fire him spectacularly during this ludicrous week off we have.

Not saying it will happen. But this preseason has clearly demonstrated that Blashill is a fraud. A mind bogglingly bad couple weeks for Mr. Center of attention.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Thanks. Maybe it was my poor reception but it didn't seem like he made into high gear like usual. I mean he's possibly the 2nd or 3rd fastest hockey player in the world. Just saw the article from last week and yeah it's his foot. I thought this was related to his back/obliques from last season, my bad.

I still think they should have rested him till next week but I get the decision.

Larkin was awful. Of course thats to be expected when he has hardly played and has admitted his timing is off.

I'm sure he'll pick it up in the next few games before the regular season...

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
That's about as one-sided as it gets in the cap era.
Toronto could have scored 2-3 more if they didn't stop attacking.

It's just the Leafs trying to win the cup during pre-season because they know they have absolutely no shot at winning it in the post-season. Pre-season champions! Give them an ice sculptured replica Stanley Cup as their trophy along with some nice aluminum foil rings. #winners.

But seriously, Babcock has his team prepared and I expect them to have a nice run to start the regular season.

Reactions: Realgud

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Good thing your perception is not reality.
My mind will change when they win a playoff series, until then...the division is more competitive and the people they brought in have to prove that they can play better than their predecessors. Pre-season means nothing.

THAT is reality.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
What's to explain? DRWs starting lineup hasn't played as a full group hardly at all this pre-season as Yzerman was obviously focusing on seeing the kids/prospects more.

That pesky rebuilding thing they got going on.

That doesnt hold up at all. So many AHLers and echlers got big minutes this preseason.

The starting lineups lack of preparedness is glaring, and their lack of minutes cant be attributed to the prospects when you look at the numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00