Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 6 = win

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Not sure you're going to get a Copp/Perreault impact even if they exceed expectations
View attachment 591691
Yep but it’s always about trade offs hopefully Appleton and an improved bottom 6, improved heinola in instead of Stanley makes up for the score differential than losing 1 or 2 guys. Also, are we talking about Pedro’s impact when he was younger or near the end?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It seems other teams are taking shots at our young stars, especially guys like Perfetti, and I agree with Bowness, that other guys are going to have to step up. The toughest guy on the Jets is Lowry, and when guys really take liberties with our guys, I'd like to see Lowry lay a beating on them, and send a message. I don't think Lowry is a naturally mean type of guy, that likes to fight, but the Jets need to have him act like a Policeman on this team. Dillon is also fairly tough, so he can do that as well, and Stanley if he's on the ice. We used to have Buff and Trouba who were good for that, but their no longer here, so some guys will have to step up, or we'll lose good players to injuries, and or they will play scared when on the ice, which is never good. I'm glad Bowness is aware of this, and hope this is taken care of.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
It seems other teams are taking shots at our young stars, especially guys like Perfetti, and I agree with Bowness, that other guys are going to have to step up. The toughest guy on the Jets is Lowry, and when guys really take liberties with our guys, I'd like to see Lowry lay a beating on them, and send a message. I don't think Lowry is a naturally mean type of guy, that likes to fight, but the Jets need to have him act like a Policeman on this team. Dillon is also fairly tough, so he can do that as well, and Stanley if he's on the ice. We used to have Buff and Trouba who were good for that, but their no longer here, so some guys will have to step up, or we'll lose good players to injuries, and or they will play scared when on the ice, which is never good. I'm glad Bowness is aware of this, and hope this is taken care of.
Wheeler is big and willing to fight. I could see him answering the bell more than normal this season, especially with a diminished scoring role.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Wheeler is big and willing to fight. I could see him answering the bell more than normal this season, especially with a diminished scoring role.
Well, I guess Wheeler will have to fight, as Dubois is not really a fighter, but is good for really rough play, and seems to like that. Dubois certainly has the size. I saw Tkachuk knock Wheeler down with one punch last year, so I guess Blake is fairly tough, and willing to fight, but not close to a guy like Lowry. At least Blake won't hesitate to drop the gloves and defend the smaller guys, which is good. I just wish Dubois was a good fighter, as he could defend Perfetti, but from what I've seen of him, he tries to avoid fighting. I did see him in a fight with Columbus, and the guy had to coax him into the fight, and Dubois didn't want to fight, but eventually did, and did OK, but mostly hanging on and wrestling the other guy. Too bad, coz he's very big, and looks immensely strong.

Reactions: hn777

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Just thinking that I haven’t seen a good goalie fight in a while
Speaking of Goalie fights, I remember Patrick Roy skating down the ice when he was with the Avs, looking to pick a fight with Mike Vernon, who was with Detroit at the time. Vernon really laid a beating on Roy, and his face was covered in blood, but Roy was the guy who picked the fight, and Vernon ended it.

This happened while there was 2 or 3 fights happening on the ice with other players.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Wheeler hates young players though, especially stars that could possibly more popular than him :sarcasm:

Reactions: Jet

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
But they actually did.

thatsthejoke.jpg

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Speaking of Goalie fights, I remember Patrick Roy skating down the ice when he was with the Avs, looking to pick a fight with Mike Vernon, who was with Detroit at the time. Vernon really laid a beating on Roy, and his face was covered in blood, but Roy was the guy who picked the fight, and Vernon ended it.

This happened while there was 2 or 3 fights happening on the ice with other players.
That’s the one I was thinking of haha

Had to Google hextalls big fight and it was Felix potvin!!!

Reactions: GNP

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yea enforcers never kept players safe. Cheap shots have always been a part of hockey. Fighters were there not to keep players safe but to provide a response after liberties were taken. They never did stopped it from happening.
In the very old days of hockey it was every man for himself, and every player had a battle scar from that era. Goon hockey took off with expansion, entertainment. I can remember seeing footage of the Montreal media on the ice during a brawl against Philadelphia. Semenko and Mc Sorley made sure Gretzky didn't take a lot of cheap shots. If Mario had an enforcer around him his career probably would have been prolonged. John Ferguson who prolonged a few careers by being one of the most intimidating goons, probably traded Dave Babych because he wouldn't stick up for Ducky.

Once analytics and special teams success became an intricate part of the league, replacing entertainment and intimidation value, the enforcers have become the NHL Dept. of Player Safety.

Reactions: GNP

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
In the very old days of hockey it was every man for himself, and every player had a battle scar from that era. Goon hockey took off with expansion, entertainment. I can remember seeing footage of the Montreal media on the ice during a brawl against Philadelphia. Semenko and Mc Sorley made sure Gretzky didn't take a lot of cheap shots. If Mario had an enforcer around him his career probably would have been prolonged. John Ferguson who prolonged a few careers by being one of the most intimidating goons, probably traded Dave Babych because he wouldn't stick up for Ducky.

Once analytics and special teams success became an intricate part of the league, replacing entertainment and intimidation value, the enforcers have become the NHL Dept. of Player Safety.
Babych asked to be traded.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Babych asked to be traded.
If that's the case the old Jets and the new Jets have something in common, starting with Dave Christian, technically Bobby Hull. I knew Fergie wasn't Babych's biggest fan...and Babych got to play with his brother on the Whalers. Ray Neufeld got ran out of town, but he did have an impact in beating Calgary in 1987.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad