Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 6 = win

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Calgary vastly outshot the Jets last night, but I never felt like they were generating that many high quality chances. The Jets defended rather well, albeit some miscues that lead to 2 goals against. Boy, they really became a one line team when PLD left the game. It's kind of concerning. >_>

Reactions: hn777 and GNP

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Team looked a lot last last year to me...sloppy at times, no depth, skilled enough at the top to overcome it. We will see, I guess.
I saw major differences to last year's team. Pp was moving and dynamic, pk was aggressive when need be and much better at clearing the puck when they got an opportunity. Jets really limited dangerous chances, like seam passes and net front opportunities.

Since our vet D mostly had few games (how did we have 5 exy haha and the Flames had 8)? It might take them a few more games to commit the new systems to muscle memory, and get their timing back.

I see major changes in this team. The one thing we haven't seen so far is more offensive acumen in our bottom 6 but I'd say they're a net improvement because they're better defensively.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
OK after watched 7 minutes of preseason hockey total this year here is my proclamation :)sarcasm:). Scheifele looked more engaged in a preseason game than he did last season in the regular season games I attended. Career season and huge payday incoming (injury notwithstanding).

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
Perfetti will have a target on his back all year. Need a guy who will help in these matters. Someone who can throwdown when needed to let other teams know not to f*** around with our top guys.
I liked Bones response. "I told the guys after the game , You take a run at one of us, you take a run at All of us . If we take a penalty, I dont care. We will kill the penalty " I love hearing the coach say that. The days of having a fighter ride the pine just to go out and have one fight are gone but the Jets have enough guys who can stand up for each other. And especially knowing the coach will support their actions.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Calgary vastly outshot the Jets last night, but I never felt like they were generating that many high quality chances. The Jets defended rather well, albeit some miscues that lead to 2 goals against. Boy, they really became a one line team when PLD left the game. It's kind of concerning. >_>

at 5v5 xGF% favored the Jets most of the game, Calgary got a couple grade A chances in the last couple min to tilt that slightly in their favor but the game was already decided at that point. The final 5v5 xGF% for the Jets was 48% which isn't terrible. The Flames did have an advantage on special teams mainly because they had a lot more PP time then the Jets.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Jets played well but I like what Bones said about face-offs. You lose and you are chasing the puck and have to wait for or create a turnover. Changes lots of things. I like that he identified it as an area of improvement and it will be interesting to see how this team turns out with improving small details like that.

Reactions: GNP and AlaskaJet

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Decent game. I think Heinola has won the opening night spot with that game. He was uneventful and boring which is probably exactly what the coaching staff wanted against a full NHL lineup.

Top line flying.

Botton-6 is the main concern with this team... nothing seems to happen with them on the ice. Gagner will help but hoping for a waiver claim to bring something there.

Really missing a Perreault back there at the moment. Or Copp for that matter. We really don't have that "doesn't look out of place in the top 6" bottom 6er atm.

Reactions: hn777

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Really missing a Perreault back there at the moment. Or Copp for that matter. We really don't have that "doesn't look out of place in the top 6" bottom 6er atm.
Gagner. Maybe Barron- let's give him some games to get back to speed after injury before fully judging him.

I was really hoping Gus was going to take the next stop this year but so far he hasn't impressed

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Love what Bowness said after the game, you take a run at 1 of us you take a run at all of us we will stick up for each other and kill the penalty.
I’m sure the fans attitude will change once these penalties start becoming goals against and games are lost because of it, then you’ll hear about Bowness telling the players to go out and take stupid penalties.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
I’m sure the fans attitude will change once these penalties start becoming goals against and games are lost because of it, then you’ll hear about Bowness telling the players to go out and take stupid penalties.
It's not a stupid penalty if someone has nailed your player in the numbers into the boards. Then there needs to be a response. He wasn't talking about responding to a slash, hook or any other minor infraction. And he isn't condoning taking stupid penalties . So I guess it depends on your definition of " stupid " penalties. I call lazy hooks, slashes, trips instead of moving your feet stupid. I call any penalty you have taken because you are tired from a to long shift stupid. Especially in the O zone. When a team is running your player because you have frustrated them it needs a response. It's not stupid by my definition. I think fans will always forgive a penalty if someone is taking liberties with your players.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's not a stupid penalty if someone has nailed your player in the numbers into the boards. Then there needs to be a response. He wasn't talking about responding to a slash, hook or any other minor infraction. And he isn't condoning taking stupid penalties . So I guess it depends on your definition of " stupid " penalties. I call lazy hooks, slashes, trips instead of moving your feet stupid. I call any penalty you have taken because you are tired from a to long shift stupid. Especially in the O zone. When a team is running your player because you have frustrated them it needs a response. It's not stupid by my definition. I think fans will always forgive a penalty if someone is taking liberties with your players.
Exactly this. I wanted someone to pound the shit out of dube last night whether he wanted to fight or not

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
For such a hyped team, Calgary didn't impress me either game...especially in net.
Loved the comment from Bones. We've lacked this a bit over the years.
Why didn't Stanley challenge Zadorov in the first game. Isn't he trying to be a starter on this team?
I have a cabin booked for 5 days in Nopiming starting Monday and no Jets' games until Friday...bummer. I'll have to bring extra beer.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I thought Heinola had a quiet game(in a good way). Seemed much more comfortable. Nice to see.
I still think we need another 2nd line forward.. depth concerns me and one injury to a Ehlers/Connor could derail things pretty quickly.
One injury to most teams best players really set them back. With a cap you can’t have redundancy at every position as capable as those guys and correct me if I’m wrong but kfc has missed very few games to injuries.
In terms of injuries I wouldn’t wish injury on any player but I’d be less upset if it’s Dubios after he has made it clear he wants to get out of wpg as soon as possible.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Gagner. Maybe Barron- let's give him some games to get back to speed after injury before fully judging him.

I was really hoping Gus was going to take the next stop this year but so far he hasn't impressed

Not sure you're going to get a Copp/Perreault impact even if they exceed expectations
download.png

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Wrong.
That is how great teams come together.
Most penalties are killed. Teams rally behind it and play much better as a group.
Opponents stop taking liberties when they know they will have to respond.
If you’ve played or watched a lot of hockey you’d know.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I saw major differences to last year's team. Pp was moving and dynamic, pk was aggressive when need be and much better at clearing the puck when they got an opportunity. Jets really limited dangerous chances, like seam passes and net front opportunities.

Since our vet D mostly had few games (how did we have 5 exy haha and the Flames had 8)? It might take them a few more games to commit the new systems to muscle memory, and get their timing back.

I see major changes in this team. The one thing we haven't seen so far is more offensive acumen in our bottom 6 but I'd say they're a net improvement because they're better defensively.

Jets had 6 pre-season games, not 5.

I think teams get as many pre-season games as they choose to line up.

Reactions: hn777

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
That's twice in 2 games the Flames hit Perfetti from behind.
I may be in the minority, but I miss the days of the policeman, since I still don't trust the stripes to protect the stars. I'm not talking about the Broad Street Bulllies, but the Jets could still use a skilled player who can also be a deterrent. I was hoping Stanley would be that guy, but I"ve seen him fight and he throws the slowest punches in the league. Samberg would really help his stock if he had a mean streak, but I"m afraid he will disappoint in that area.

coach was probably doing him a favor - it was getting chippy out there for a preseason - no point in getting mugged by a flame goon who thinks they're playing game 7
We can't worry about protecting him that way in the regular season, or the other team's tactics have won. What the Jets can use a little more of is "truculence". Even in the era after the classic "policeman", we lost Byfuglien and Trouba. two guys who would make the other team pay for such indiscretions.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

Personally, I don't care if the other team scores due to a penalty that occurred because of a player standing up to someone running one of our players into the boards, or pulling something dirty. So long as the message is sent to the other team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad