GDT: Preseason Game #6 NYR @ NYI | 7PM | W 5-2

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The roster is chock full of filler, we don't need to add more. We should be shedding as many contracts as possible to open up roster spots and cap flexibility.

The entire defense is locked up long term, the best case scenario was for Toews to emerge and replace CdH. He looks promising so far, we don't need more bottom pairing d-men like Sbisa to be in the way while everyone is evaluated.
Exactly. Even if Sbisa was better than Hickey, Pulock and Mayfield, which I don't think he is, those 3 are under contract already. There's no way we should be signing Sbisa and making room for him in the top 7. Especially with Toews and Aho knocking on the door.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
The roster is chock full of filler, we don't need to add more. We should be shedding as many contracts as possible to open up roster spots and cap flexibility.

The entire defense is locked up long term, the best case scenario was for Toews to emerge and replace CdH. He looks promising so far, we don't need more bottom pairing d-men like Sbisa to be in the way while everyone is evaluated.
You just know we’re going to sign either Sbisa or Seidenberg. This team always needs a garbage veteran defenseman to block the kids.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Toews is ready.

Signing Sbisa means they would have to send Toews down after winning a spot, which is not what accountbility is from a management perspective...or waive a forward and roll eight defenseman deep, which team’s don’t do a lot of the time.

Reactions: dano16

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Toews is ready.

Signing Sbisa means they would have to send Toews down after winning a spot, which is not what accountbility is from a management perspective...or waive a forward and roll eight defenseman deep, which team’s don’t do a lot of the time.

Can Sbisa not have a 2 way deal? I'd take that and he could be a leader down in BPORT and a spot starter when the injuries come

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Yes, I agree. I've been doubtful ever since Trotz was hired that he'd keep Beau-Barz-Eberle together. Bailey provides some defensive responsibility and veteran presence to the kids, and Eberle is a nice fit with Lee and Nelson b/c he can both make plays and shoot. And I'll bet Trotz is a bit of a traditionalist and wants to mix up the LH/RH.

Yep. The only piece I like of that combo is that Ebs can gain the zone and be the primary puck carrier.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Can Sbisa not have a 2 way deal? I'd take that and he could be a leader down in BPORT and a spot starter when the injuries come

With -
Aho, Vande Sompel, Wotherspoon, Rathgeb, Quenneville, Burroughs, and Helgeson already down in the AHL - I say pass.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I'm hoping we sign Martinek! I kid....... Honestly though I have a great feeling about this season. There is a certain amount of competence to the team this year and you can feel it already. We have always had good young pieces but we had Cappy and Weight holding it back. I always felt Cappy got his teams to play hard but other than Tavares it's hard to find players that really developed under him. And Weight was, well, Weight! I think we compete for a playoff spot and whether we make it or not doesn't really matter...... The ship is heading in the right direction!

You just know we’re going to sign either Sbisa or Seidenberg. This team always needs a garbage veteran defenseman to block the kids.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I just caught pieces of the Rags game but my eye caught #25 whenever he was in. He just seems to belong. He plays with confidence, fluidity and has a calm presence.

If he doesn't make this roster, that's a shame. Even if he doesn't crack the top 6 right away (he probably should), I would keep him up. He deserves it, isn't a young guy that needs the ice time, and I suspect our D will be shoddy enough to warrant him getting time early on.

If it means a 3-man rotation with the 3rd pairing, fine. Let the best players play at this point.

Reactions: dano16

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
maybe i am delusional, but i think that LL&Co want to win at both AHL and NHL levels. create an atmosphere of winning.

the best chance of that happening, is if we send the kids down. if the big club is in PO contention, nothing changes. if they falter, ship out the UFA's for picks, and bring up the kids.

i see Sbisa being signed, and Toews sent down. yes, we could effectively argue that Toews is better, but LL works for the crest on the shirt, not Toews.

unless LL can trade a few players soon, and open up a few spots, i don't see it any other way.

they seem to be much better defensively, based on preseason, so i am anxiously waiting for the season to start. i want our kids to develop, but i want to win too, and that comes first. i want both teams to make the PO's...

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Between traveling and Jewish holidays I've watched no preseason. But everyone whose hockey opinion I trust on here says he's ready. He should play. Any signing that pushes out a younger player who outplayed vets is a bad move. Don't do it, NYI. Put Toews in the lineup. If NYI is concerned with his return from injury and not rushing him, just rotate him with Pelech and/or Hickey. But Toews has got to play.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Have not be able to watch games aside from highlights but happy GDT's like these make me excited for a young, energized, competitive season.

Reading about Barzy doing Barzy things, Nelson being Brocktober, Beau re-capturing his scoring touch, Toews impressing, Bellows showing off an NHL caliber shot/release, E=mc^2 being back.....LGI! :handclap:

Reactions: SteveH124

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad