GDT: Preseason Game #6 NYR @ NYI | 7PM | W 5-2

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I wouldn't. I think Toews should be in the top 6 and Pelech should be the guy who sits every night.

Pelech? So you are playing Sbisa and Mayfield over Pelech.

I agree Toews should be in top 6, but I play Pelech and sit Mayfield and let Sbisa go.

Reactions: seafoam and dood

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
There's a glut of defensemen who are closer to being NHLers than Dobson at the moment. Toews and Wotherspoon both look good. We all knew Dobson wasn't making this team. Too many guys in front of him and it's just not necessary.

I don't like him, but he's pretty much a lock for 20+ goals a year. It's crazy.
In my view as a Titan fan, I would much rather see him back to junior, but some were hinting that he could spend up to 9 games with the Islanders and go early December to Team Canada Junior...

I would be most happy to see him play 30-35 minutes in junior instead of having him in the bleachers for up to 30 days in Long Island.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
In my view as a Titan fan, I would much rather see him back to junior, but some were hinting that he could spend up to 9 games with the Islanders and go early December to Team Canada Junior...

I would be most happy to see him play 30-35 minutes in junior instead of having him in the bleachers for up to 30 days in Long Island.

Maybe they give him a short look, but I don't think he'd get 9 games and anything they gave him would be a reward for performing well. He has next to no chance at making the roster long term though.

Isle1966

Nov 18, 2003
I think Toews has locked up a spot. Sbisa equals Mayfield at this point and with so many forwards they could only have 7 dmen on the roster so hope he is not signed.

Nelson had a good effort last night but if he has one of his poor effort games I could see Trotz sending him a message and sitting him the next game. extra centers around give Trotz that luxury. Playing him at center gives him less chance to coast though so might be a good move in that sense if he can handle it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I agree Toews should be in top 6, but I play Pelech and sit Mayfield and let Sbisa go.
I wouldn’t referred to keeping Sbisa here.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

And I give Mayfield the nominal edge over Pelech because Mayfield is a right handed defenseman who now has some NHL experience under his belt.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Honestly I think that although we are significantly worse off without Tavares, the new coaching structure might actually get this team contending for a playoff spot. Probably just miss (like 9-10) but I don't think this roster will bottom out

Reactions: BelovedIsles

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
And I give Mayfield the nominal edge over Pelech because Mayfield is a right handed defenseman who now has some NHL experience under his belt.
Assuming Toews makes the team, he’s our 3rd best dman behind Pulock and Leddy. Let’s say 2-55 are paired together we have:

Leddy Boychuk
Pelech Pulock
Toews Mayfield
Hickey

I’d argue that Pelech has more value. He can play both sides so he’s gives Trotz that’s flexibility which will come to play when 55 inevitably goes down with an injury.

In that case, Pelech moves next to Leddy and Hickey slides next to Pulock.

Leddy Pelech
Hickey Pulock
Toews Mayfield

If Toews makes the Isles I think the one who gets pushed further down should be Hickey as Toews and Pelech are better than him.

I also see Aho eventually being a better option as well.

I’m not sure why Sbisa’s here except to push the bottom 3 to play their best so that Lou can get a proper evaluation.

Reactions: SI

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I don't care that it's 21 years later: anyone who lives in Connecticut who is either a rags or ruins fan is scum. Both those teams were overjoyed to see the state's team be murdered, and the MSG Slimebag couldn't wait to put their minor league team in Hartford. I would rather the Civic Center been imploded than host a rags farm team. And as a kid take a guess which team's fans always picked on and bullied me at school for being a Whalers fan?
Fairfield County grown up kid here, with some perspective. The Rags/Bruins line is right around New Haven. I attended both Central CT(New Britain) and Uconn(before Hartford-old dude), the same border as Yankees/Red Sox. Most of us consider Hartford an armpit(or worse), I would rather go anywhere else to see a game.
I am sorry for your Whale Fandom, and wonder if there is a support group somewhere.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

6:54
Gets caught flat footed and blown by, puck goes behind the net
Retrieves puck and immediately threads a perfect pass to a wide open Ranger with a yawning net

7:11
EL-OH-EL

People are complaining about Sbisa and this clown gets a pass?

Reactions: dood

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Fairfield County grown up kid here, with some perspective. The Rags/Bruins line is right around New Haven. I attended both Central CT(New Britain) and Uconn(before Hartford-old dude), the same border as Yankees/Red Sox. Most of us consider Hartford an armpit(or worse), I would rather go anywhere else to see a game.
I am sorry for your Whale Fandom, and wonder if there is a support group somewhere.
I want to make a comment but if I say what I want to say I'd probably earn an infraction so I'll pass.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
This management and coaching upgrade is going to be huge for this franchise

Totally agree, we might actually have players coached UP, instead of being hindered by the staff. What could have been if Pajamas had stayed but I am over it and looking to see what structure and accountability can do for this team.

Reactions: SI90

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm already liking the small changes management has made. The one thing that has been irking me is the PK.... I just don't get it. It reminds me of Nok Hockey with the square block in the slot protecting the net.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018

Retrieves puck and immediately threads a perfect pass to a wide open Ranger with a yawning net

EL-OH-EL

Yeow! Rangers are always blowing Hickey up . First it was Hayes’ post up goal a couple of years ago now Chytil ..

What a save by Greiss BTW

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

EL-OH-EL

I didn’t want Hickey back either. But he’s signed and Sbisa isn’t. So we should compund one mistake with another one?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I give the edge to the guy that can actually skate, play both on the left side and right side. He just turned 24 this summer and has logged over 120 NHL games.

He may not be a top 4, but a serviceable bottom pairing guy, who hopefully will improve under this staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: dood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Sbisa is a better defenseman than Hickey, Pelech and Mayfield. If we're talking about improving the team, he should make it over one of those three.
Sbisa is a poor skater and has a tough time handling the puck. He’s not better than the guys you mentioned and there’s no need to sign him to a contract. If improving the team is the goal then Toews should make the roster. If you want to continue to have weak links on defense then by all means sign Luca Sbisa.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I didn’t want Hickey back either. But he’s signed and Sbisa isn’t. So we should compund one mistake with another one?

The roster is chock full of filler, we don't need to add more. We should be shedding as many contracts as possible to open up roster spots and cap flexibility.

The entire defense is locked up long term, the best case scenario was for Toews to emerge and replace CdH. He looks promising so far, we don't need more bottom pairing d-men like Sbisa to be in the way while everyone is evaluated.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
They should try Pelech with Leddy again or Toews.

He’s played his best in the past when he was paired with a defenseman who can skate the puck out of the zone.

Reactions: SI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad