GDT: PRESEASON - Game 6 - DEVILS @ Flyers - 7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i rather have 3 on 3 then lose in a shootout almost everytime

I'm starting to feel this way too.

I'd almost rather the teams compete against themselves in a shootout, rather than against each other.

I'd be more interested in seeing our guys go up against Cory and Keith.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Really liked what I saw from the Devils tonight. Also good to see Zajac and Josefson get on the scoresheet so much, because Zajac really needs a bounce back year and Josefson needs a breakout year, so maybe they can build on this.

Also maybe just being better on 3-on-3 overtime than we were in the shootout an get the Devils some points in the standings and help us do a bit better than we might project. I feel like Hynes' experience with the 3-on-3 format from the AHL is an advantage, at least now when other coaches might still be learning the ropes of it.

We'll see but I'm enjoying watching these games so far.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Devils looked great tonight against a pretty so-so Flyers team.

Josefson was my player of the game. Played smart, looked fast, held possession well. Two assists and that 3v3 goal. Great vision to anticipate the play.

Zajac was really solid. Superb skating and looks miles better compared to post mumps Zajac. Deserved his goals and hopefully continues to build confidence.

Larsson was epic once again. Just toally neutralised the Flyers when he was on the ice and showed excellent skating. He's clearly been working hard over the summer.

Kinkaid was very good. Very solid back up to Cory.

Zacha was quiet but he shows flashes. Being handcuffed with Gionta and Ruupoo doesn't help. Hopefully he can tear up the OHL this year. Don't think he's ready for anything other than a 9 game stint, if even that.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd take Ray Ray over LaBarbara.
They're both bad as far as the NHL goes. LaBarbara was still a decent NHL goaltender 2 or 3 years ago, at least as a backup. Emery hasn't been decent in almost a decade, aside from a FLUKE season in which Carey Price was terrible.
I don't know # of games but seem to recall Lecavalier being a healthy scratch a bit last season too, which speaks to your point about his lackluster rep with management.
I think they were already scratching him towards the end of his first year there, or at least playing him on the 4th line.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Devils looked great tonight against a pretty so-so Flyers team.

Josefson was my player of the game. Played smart, looked fast, held possession well. Two assists and that 3v3 goal. Great vision to anticipate the play.

Zajac was really solid. Superb skating and looks miles better compared to post mumps Zajac. Deserved his goals and hopefully continues to build confidence.

Larsson was epic once again. Just toally neutralised the Flyers when he was on the ice and showed excellent skating. He's clearly been working hard over the summer.

Kinkaid was very good. Very solid back up to Cory.

Zacha was quiet but he shows flashes. Being handcuffed with Gionta and Ruupoo doesn't help. Hopefully he can tear up the OHL this year. Don't think he's ready for anything other than a 9 game stint, if even that.

Agree with all of that.

And I'm fine with Zacha. Kid has the goods. Just needs to go back to Sarnia and cook some more.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
I feel like these last two games we've gotten a much better look at the system Hynes is employing, and it's night and day from the last couple years. I think this team is going to be fun to watch.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Aside from giveaway to first Philly goal, Severson was very good, so was Lars.
Merrill was good too.
Schlemko better than I expected.
Helgeson grenaded a few pucks but was physical.
Gelly was putrid tonight.

Kinky was good aside from a few gaffes playing the puck.

Liked most of our forwards.
Didn't like Gio tonight nor Stef that much. Zacha is not ready.

I'm concerned about Palms but he looked great early on. So did JJ and Rico.

Stemp was solid, sign him.
Kalinin showed jump. Tlusty looked more comfortable tonight.

Bouch could do better IMO, he needs to find open ice in the slot esp on the PP.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Aside from giveaway to first Philly goal, Severson was very good, so was Lars.
Merrill was good too.
Schlemko better than I expected.
Helgeson grenaded a few pucks but was physical.
Gelly was putrid tonight.

Kinky was good aside from a few gaffes playing the puck.

Liked most of our forwards.
Didn't like Gio tonight nor Stef that much. Zacha is not ready.

I'm concerned about Palms but he looked great early on. So did JJ and Rico.

Stemp was solid, sign him.
Kalinin showed jump. Tlusty looked more comfortable tonight.

Bouch could do better IMO, he needs to find open ice in the slot esp on the PP.

What did Merrill do that was so good? Loses every battle along the wall, always going backwards with the puck whenever he feels pressure coming his way, instead of moving the puck forward and never shoots. I just don't get it.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Glad to hear Palms is ok.

Josefson looked good and so did Zajac. Good to see those to starting to step up their game.

Kalinin impressed me tonight and has gotten better each game. He might be this teams 3rd line center if they have intend to use Josefson on the 2nd line which it looks like they do.

Tlusty looked better then he has in other games. He will be a good addition.

We should sign Stemp now and release Kennedy from his PTO. Not that Kennedy has not done enough to make the team but just that we dont have the room. Unless of course Gio or Boucher are going down. Maybe offer Kennedy a 2-way deal and send him to Albany and we can use him in case of injuries.

Zacha, i can see flashes of what the kid will be. But i think I have finally switched over. Let him get some good minutes in the last preseason game, consider letting him play in Pattys spot for a game or 2 (if thats all its going to be) and then send him back to Junior. I think its just better that he goes back at this point.

Merrill, Larrson, and Severson looked how i expected.... GOOD Kinky did too. Maybe its a little early in Kinky's career but i feel we have one of the best goalie combos in the league.

Gelly had some rough moments, but i expect those. He is around for his offense so defense errors are going to happen.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think we all hoped the new system would have the defenseman jump up in the play more. Tonight the weakside defenseman was constantly moving up the boards on the breakout to give more options or create odd man situations.

The Devils don't have enough offensive talent at forward so I'm glad it looks like the current system acknowledges that and is attempting to add offense in other ways, despite the risk involved.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Just getting to the highlights now. Josefson deserves a 3rd assist for Gionta missing that empty net. :laugh:

Also, is Larsson for real? What the hell happened with Deboer that we didn't see flashes of this kid for like 3 seasons? His pass on that opening Palmieri shot was insane and his pivoting on that Voracek rush made me throw my skates in the trash.

Also, I still really like Ruutu. I hope he gets a real good opportunity this season, if only to prove he still has some value next summer in free agency (or in a trade at the deadline). Depending on where Elias's game is, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that Ruutu is the 6th best forward on the team. I thought it was so weird how he went from top-line left wing at the end of one season to Deboer's doghouse by the following preseason. And for Zubrus? Yeesh.

Tlusty could knock him down one too, but that remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad