GDT: PRESEASON - Game 6 - DEVILS @ Flyers - 7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
What did Merrill do that was so good? Loses every battle along the wall, always going backwards with the puck whenever he feels pressure coming his way, instead of moving the puck forward and never shoots. I just don't get it.

He's not the most physical in the corners, but he normally makes the right play when he gets the puck in the D-Zone. He keeps players to the outside, he's smart with his defensive stick positioning, he generally doesn't make mistakes turning the puck over in the D-Zone, He's a good passer, but probably could expand his game in the offensive zone. It's mostly positives for Merril.

I don't really get what you are saying about him moving backwards though. Being patient, and settling down the play sometimes means regrouping and skating it back. It's actually a good quality of his. But I do think his offensive game could improve, and it'd be good if he got a bit stronger to improve his board play.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Merrill / Severson / Larsson were all very good. Loved all of their games. Most impressed by Merrill only because I have come to expect it from Severson/Larsson

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Also, is Larsson for real? What the hell happened with Deboer that we didn't see flashes of this kid for like 3 seasons? His pass on that opening Palmieri shot was insane and his pivoting on that Voracek rush made me throw my skates in the trash.

I'm 99% sure that was Severson on the initial Palmieri shot. But yeah, he played Voracek quite well.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He's not the most physical in the corners, but he normally makes the right play when he gets the puck in the D-Zone. He keeps players to the outside, he's smart with his defensive stick positioning, he generally doesn't make mistakes turning the puck over in the D-Zone, He's a good passer, but probably could expand his game in the offensive zone. It's mostly positives for Merril.

I don't really get what you are saying about him moving backwards though. Being patient, and settling down the play sometimes means regrouping and skating it back. It's actually a good quality of his. But I do think his offensive game could improve, and it'd be good if he got a bit stronger to improve his board play.

Merrill showed good offensive instincts in college so he has it in him. Imagine has his game matures it will come out more. He is still be asked to be the anchor on his pairing.

It took years for Lars to get that part of his game going so it does take time sometimes.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
sad I missed this game. just watched the highlights. everyone looked pretty nice, excepy maybe Gionta and Gelinas, but im going on highlights

Larsson's pivot to shut down Voracek gave me one of those dangerous 4hr+ erections you have to see your doctor about

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
sad I missed this game. just watched the highlights. everyone looked pretty nice, excepy maybe Gionta and Gelinas, but im going on highlights

Larsson's pivot to shut down Voracek gave me one of those dangerous 4hr+ erections you have to see your doctor about

I read that and then immediately noticed your avy. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Hate being the Devil's Advocate, but didn't Larsson get spun around badly in overtime (Possibly by Voracek)

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The 3-on-3 is going to favor speed, which is why I'm thinking we might be pretty bad at it. But I'd rather lose 3-on-3 than in a shootout.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The 3-on-3 is going to favor speed, which is why I'm thinking we might be pretty bad at it. But I'd rather lose 3-on-3 than in a shootout.

I think we will be fine. Between Greene, Merrill, Moore, and Severson at defense all being great skaters and Larsson not far behind, I think we will be able to keep up.

You're probably going to see a lot more of Palmieri, Josefson, Henrique in the 3-on-3 overtime then a guy like Zajac. I feel like Josefson is going to be amazing in 3-on-3 OT for us.

GhostofKenKlee

cs_233.jpg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haha I remember Joe Micheletti talking about that ref during the last game against the Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad