Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 4 = SO loss

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Edmonton brought two NHLers and beat us. Oh boy.

On the bright side, Perfetti and Lambert looked very good together.

Lambert was making stuff happen, for a guy like such low hockey IQ he was all over the puck. I’m liking this pick more and more. I think he’s gonna be good.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Don't know what to say about this game. The Oilers had some slower players on their roster, which made our players look faster at times.

Perfetti had one heck of a game. Going to be fun to watch him this year. Glad I picked him up in the pool.

Lambert was electrifying out there. I'm starting to wonder if the conversation goes from getting a contract to getting on the opening day roster for some games, while Barron is out. I mean a guy that creates offense, can play the PP, and the 3 on 3 there's some points that can be had with those kind of efforts. Without a doubt he was making the players around him better, and that's something that's nice to have from the bottom lines. If he outplays Gagner for the rest of TC does he get a shot to play a few meaningful games to start the season? Big Bad Brad is looking like a steal of a pick at #30.

I thought Wheeler had some hop, played a strong game. Still adapting to his teammates. Dubois and Perfetti have some chemistry developing, which won't last...I liked Dubois's forechecking.

I liked the Lowry line, didn't give up many chances. Showed some cycle ability. Drew penalties. Though the play on Maenalanen was a blatant dive. Maenalanen is probably playing one line above where he should start, but he's looking like a guy who will make the team.

Of the competing 4th liners, I thought Gustafsson probably solidified his chances at centering the 4th line, with some strong play and good work on the PK.

Toninato's a smart player but I don't think he's ideallly a centre. Gave up too many shots on the PK I thought.

Harkins continues to disappoint me. He may start with the Jets but unless he starts making better plays with the puck he probably doesn't finish there.

Reichel had a strong start, making some passes, and drawing a penalty. His penalty that led to the 5 on 3 was a bad one, coaches will hate stick infractions, when you can skate and use your body instead. I don't think he played much after that. Some struggles clearing the zone on his offside. Not sure that's enough tonight to earn a opening day roster spot.

Stenlund to me is an AHL player. He's got some smarts, gets himself in pretty good scoring positions, but seems a little slow for the NHL pace.

Defense I thought Dillon-Pionk played on the same page.

Stanley-Schmidt seemed to be in there own end a lot. I did like Stanley's physicality, still not sure about him on the PK. I thought he played a better game than the rookies 5 on 5, which creates an interesting problem of who would be #7 if he won a starting spot.

Samberg-Heinola weren't very good together. Seemed to let the play get behind them. Heinola's turnover is the unfortunate part of playing your offside and trying to make a play on your backhand. Samberg was inconsistent, and looks to be a slow starter. Maybe another game with Schmidt will get him back in his comfort zone.

Heinola does keep racking up PP points, and maybe you look at playing some games with 7 defensemen if that's an area where he is going to contribute. Because when it comes down to PP2, once Morrissey takes the PP1 reps, I think Heinola is a pretty significant upgrade on Pionk on the PP, in terms of puck movement. Schmidt and PIonk weren't good tonight on the PP.

2 games to go, and there will be some tough decisions for the coaching staff to make.

Special teams were a big factor in this game.

Ducky knows what it feels like to come up short against the OIlers. Losing to the OIlers B team is a bit of a stinger, in a game they should have buried them, with the advantageous roster.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Man, not even upset about that at all. Skinner was great that game for Edmonton.

Lambert, Perfetti and Heinola (minus the gaffe) all stood out that game. Heinola is easily the best PP quarterback we have right now.

Also kudos to Bowness for giving Lambert a chance in OT and shootout, you can tell he likes the kid. This kind of stuff never would have happened under Maurice.

Would love to see Lambert with some better players 5 on 5.
Agree on all fronts. Especially Heinola on the PP. He’s is by far the best pp quarterback we have.

Reactions: JetsUK

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well that was a pretty solid game.

It was however a bit though to get some reads on some of those lines as a unit due to all the special teams time. There was very little 5 on 5 flow as a result.

Pp was fantastic, love how much motion there is in it now. Perfetti and Heinola just know how to break teams down with motion, deception and quick puck movement. Honestly stick Conner in the spot Dubois was in and look out.

I agree that our defense is much more organized and our nz and offensive zone pressuring is much better.

The kids all brought it tonight:

Perfetti was his usual disruptive self off the puck and was a magician with it both at 5 on 5 and the pp. He was also shooting a lot. What did he put on net, 7 shots!

Heinola with a much better game. Outside his gaff his puck movement was much more assertive tonight. He also showed more confidence with the Puck at evens. Defense was decent. His pp ability may just give him that leg up if Bowness is really looking to up the offense from the backend.

Lambert. Speed kills and he has it in spades and was using it effectively to create space or to pressure pucks and turn plays over. He also went to the right areas in the ozone and surprised me a bit with some real good vision and quick passing on the pp. Him Ville and Cole connected on some terrific 3 way passing plays. One resulting in the called back Dubois goal. Having said that there were still times were he seemed stuck between decisions and as a result made poor reads or decisions. To me he needs to be on the Moose where they can control his usage and work with him. As I said at the WJC he needs a lot of minutes and he needs a lot of puck touches in multiple situations. There are still areas of his game he needs to refine but man are the tools all there to be a star winger. Real positive camp and may not be as far away as I thought. I think he has a good opportunity to oull an Ehlers and make it full time out of camp as a draft plus 2 next year.

Guys with a much more involved game tonight. He looked quicker and he was in the right spots at the right times. A much better game from him.

Hard to say who stood out in the other depth battles.

Samberg played fine, was physical and solid defensively. Puck movement still needs to be a bit better.

Stanley was also OK, got beat wide with speed a few times and wasn't on with his breakouts either tonight. He was more disciplined in his positioning once the Oilers established zone possession and didn't give up much snarl to do it either which was good.

Thought Wheeler played well but I wish he would stop with the constant chip ins. He needs to use that play as a last resort. When we can skate it in and gain control that needs to be the play.

Dubois still not going full bore but I didn't think he was as bad as what some are saying.

Curious to see what they go with late next week. They have a good half week to practice and iron some things out.

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
Quick thoughts:

-Perfetti with some nifty passes - the kid already has some incredible vision and will only improve.
-Lambert has speed and hands, could be dangerous. Kyle Connor 2?
-Heinola had some nice passes, however I still am concerned about puck protection as when checked he is quickly overpowered and loses pucks - he doesn't seem to deal with pressure well.
-Stanley got walked a bunch tonight, and lost coverage more than a few times. Not great.
-Helle looking kinda meh so far in preseason, hopefully he dials it in once the regular season starts.
-Our neutral zone play is already markedly improved - you can see we are applying much more pressure there and it is stifling opposing teams.
-Our general defensive play is... a work in progress. Still pretty scrambly at times, however after seeing the changes to the neutral zone play I'm hopeful we will see significant progress soon.
-Not sure I can justify Harkins and Toninato on the roster when we have so many young guys with more raw potential. Tough to say as they have fought hard for us in the past, but we have to put out the best roster to win.

With an actual defensive system this year I don't know how we aren't significantly better than last year. I think we're going to surprise a lot of teams.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
In the long list of overrated up and coming Jets D men, Samberg fits in quite well!

guy sure isn’t Trouba and is more like a weaker version of Poolman!

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
2022-23 season… Stanley is a bum. Sorry Stan fans. I really don’t see him with us much longer.

Been to two of the preseason games. It’s nice to not see dump and chase all the time. Lol.
Right, we only saw the odd dump and chase as the game wore on and a few established guys seemed like they were gassed a bit.
As conditioning hopefully improves for the vets and rust wears off, we could see a wholly re-invigorated team..

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Lambert actually makes this team and keeps playing the way he is , he could even give Perfetti a run for the Calder. I know it’s way too early to think about that but just the fact that we can even consider him making this team and being a difference maker is quite a shock after the world junior championships.

I have really liked Lambert - but I think you are way ahead of the timeline here.

We haven't seen him play against real NHL'ers yet, and I don't think we will this year. I will be gobsmacked if he breaks TC with the Jets even for the 9 game trial.

He has earned another preseason game though.

Reactions: surixon

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Was it just me, or were there fans booing Dubois when he had the puck? I'm pretty sure I heard it, especially in the SO.

Reactions: JetsFan815

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Well that was a pretty solid game.

It was however a bit though to get some reads on some of those lines as a unit due to all the special teams time. There was very little 5 on 5 flow as a result.

Pp was fantastic, love how much motion there is in it now. Perfetti and Heinola just know how to break teams down with motion, deception and quick puck movement. Honestly stick Conner in the spot Dubois was in and look out.

I agree that our defense is much more organized and our nz and offensive zone pressuring is much better.

The kids all brought it tonight:

Perfetti was his usual disruptive self off the puck and was a magician with it both at 5 on 5 and the pp. He was also shooting a lot. What did he put on net, 7 shots!

Heinola with a much better game. Outside his gaff his puck movement was much more assertive tonight. He also showed more confidence with the Puck at evens. Defense was decent. His pp ability may just give him that leg up if Bowness is really looking to up the offense from the backend.

Lambert. Speed kills and he has it in spades and was using it effectively to create space or to pressure pucks and turn plays over. He also went to the right areas in the ozone and surprised me a bit with some real good vision and quick passing on the pp. Him Ville and Cole connected on some terrific 3 way passing plays. One resulting in the called back Dubois goal. Having said that there were still times were he seemed stuck between decisions and as a result made poor reads or decisions. To me he needs to be on the Moose where they can control his usage and work with him. As I said at the WJC he needs a lot of minutes and he needs a lot of puck touches in multiple situations. There are still areas of his game he needs to refine but man are the tools all there to be a star winger. Real positive camp and may not be as far away as I thought. I think he has a good opportunity to oull an Ehlers and make it full time out of camp as a draft plus 2 next year.

Guys with a much more involved game tonight. He looked quicker and he was in the right spots at the right times. A much better game from him.

Hard to say who stood out in the other depth battles.

Samberg played fine, was physical and solid defensively. Puck movement still needs to be a bit better.

Stanley was also OK, got beat wide with speed a few times and wasn't on with his breakouts either tonight. He was more disciplined in his positioning once the Oilers established zone possession and didn't give up much snarl to do it either which was good.

Thought Wheeler played well but I wish he would stop with the constant chip ins. He needs to use that play as a last resort. When we can skate it in and gain control that needs to be the play.

Dubois still not going full bore but I didn't think he was as bad as what some are saying.

Curious to see what they go with late next week. They have a good half week to practice and iron some things out.
Some good observations once again.

I think you`ve captured the real question in the bolded above - what is it that Bowness will look for as most needed by the team when making final roster D decisions? Does he think we need a bigger, more physical D, or, does he think we need a puck -mover to up the offence from the back end? He has mentioned both at differing times and it is hard to get a sense of where he will come down on this. My guess is that he probably is not certain himself at this time and will want to see more in the remaining TC ..... .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad