Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 4 = SO loss

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Man, not even upset about that at all. Skinner was great that game for Edmonton.

Lambert, Perfetti and Heinola (minus the gaffe) all stood out that game. Heinola is easily the best PP quarterback we have right now.

Also kudos to Bowness for giving Lambert a chance in OT and shootout, you can tell he likes the kid. This kind of stuff never would have happened under Maurice.

Would love to see Lambert with some better players 5 on 5.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
We deserved the win tonight but that was a fun game to watch. A young talent coming up on this jets team is so exciting.
Perfetti is already a stud. No way Lambert gets sent to the WHL now in my opinion. He might even make this team and certainly deserves it with his play.
But maybe one of the best things tonight was saying that Rick Bowness has such faith in Lambert and Perfetti already. He did exactly what a coach, correction a good coach, should do in these types of situations. Put out the young guys to see what they can do in all types of situations.
Both overtime and the shoot out. Way to go Rick!

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
If Lambert actually makes this team and keeps playing the way he is , he could even give Perfetti a run for the Calder. I know it’s way too early to think about that but just the fact that we can even consider him making this team and being a difference maker is quite a shock after the world junior championships.

Reactions: JetsUK

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The Good:

Lambert looked amazing out there. Expectations for him were rock bottom but he's genuinely having a great preseason and not just merely exceeding the low-expectations set by all the offseason talk and the Finnish contingent on this board telling anyone willing to hear how much he apparently sucks.

Heinola good other than the brainfart that led to 1st goal. Personally, while there are warts in all 3 of Heinola, Samberg, Stanley's games, I would start Heinola on opening night in the #6 role just because of PP ability.

Good games by Perfetti, Wheeler and Lowry. Some nice passion by Wheeler/Lowry dropping the gloves to standup for their teammates in a preseason game.

Pionk looked good.

Meh:

PLD got a couple of points on the PP but not showing much engagement or passion at 5v5. Nothing seems to happen with him at 5v5 which is not good as he should be dominating what was essentially an AHL matchup for him and his line. At 5v5 he ends the night with 0 shots, 0 shot attempts, 0 hits, +/-= -1, ~40% Corsi, 44% xG, 2 PIMS taking a sticking minor in the offensive zone in the 3rd. Just blah.

Stanley: Had a hell of a time breaking out the puck.

Hate to say it but I think Essymont should replace one of Harkins/Toninato on the 4th line to start the season to see what we have in him and provide some snarl and physicality.

Hope Appleton is okay... what a dumb hit to make in a meaningless preseason game.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
We got beat by Nick Shore.

Lambert is giving me 2011 Scheifele vibes when the fans wanted to see him make the NHL immediately after being drafted. The excitement is there.

And Perfetti is an absolute beauty, not much else to say.
You nailed it -
Perfetti is a gem - looking forward to watching this kid tear it up TY
And Lambert? My oh My - this guy is going to be a star - wow.

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
The nice little bumper pass from Perfetti to Wheeler. If you're lucky enough to be on the ice with Perfetti, you better have your stick ready to shoot!
pRaiSk5.mp4

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You nailed it -
Perfetti is a gem - looking forward to watching this kid tear it up TY
And Lambert? My oh My - this guy is going to be a star - wow.

Well there was a reason Lambert was once thought of to challenge for number 1 overall.

Haven't see the game yet but am looking forward to watching it on PVR.

Sounds like Cole juat keeps getting better and if I'm and Lambert develop into our next two stars then perfect. They had great chemistry in the young stars to boot.

I can see a line of this in a few years:

Conner Perfetti Lambert - Man that would be fun to watch.

The nice little bumper pass from Perfetti to Wheeler. If you're lucky enough to be on the ice with Perfetti, you better have your stick ready to shoot!
pRaiSk5.mp4

It amazes me that our good players haven't drilled it into their heads yet that you have to always be ready when Cole has the puck.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Well there was a reason Lambert was once thought of to challenge for number 1 overall.

Haven't see the game yet but am looking forward to watching it on PVR.

Sounds like Cole juat keeps getting better and if I'm and Lambert develop into our next two stars then perfect. They had great chemistry in the young stars to boot.

I can see a line of this in a few years:

Conner Perfetti Lambert - Man that would be fun to watch.
Cole is getting better - or maybe he's just getting more comfortable and already was better.
Lambert is fast, slick, and poised beyond his years - and i'd love to see that line you suggest - Perfetti centering those 2 wouldn't even be fair.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Cole is getting better - or maybe he's just getting more comfortable and already was better.
Lambert is fast, slick, and poised beyond his years - and i'd love to see that line you suggest - Perfetti centering those 2 wouldn't even be fair.

Yeah one thing this org constantly nails is skilled forwards in round one. They absolutely know what they are looking for.

Two very different types but you need both and add a gritty scorer like McGoraty and you have the next forward nucleus.

Sounds like some of our young dmen also performed well tonight with is good to see.

Getting pretty excited for the season.

How'd the team systems look?

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
The Good:

Lambert looked amazing out there. Expectations for him were rock bottom but he's genuinely having a great preseason and not just merely exceeding the low-expectations set by all the offseason talk and the Finnish contingent on this board telling anyone willing to hear how much he apparently sucks.

Heinola good other than the brainfart that led to 1st goal. Personally, while there are warts in all 3 of Heinola, Samberg, Stanley's games, I would start Heinola on opening night in the #6 role just because of PP ability.

Good games by Perfetti, Wheeler and Lowry. Some nice passion by Wheeler/Lowry dropping the gloves to standup for their teammates in a preseason game.

Pionk looked good.

Meh:

PLD got a couple of points on the PP but not showing much engagement or passion at 5v5. Nothing seems to happen with him at 5v5 which is not good as he should be dominating what was essentially an AHL matchup for him and his line. At 5v5 he ends the night with 0 shots, 0 shot attempts, 0 hits, +/-= -1, ~40% Corsi, 44% xG, 2 PIMS taking a sticking minor in the offensive zone in the 3rd. Just blah.

Stanley: Had a hell of a time breaking out the puck.

Hate to say it but I think Essymont should replace one of Harkins/Toninato on the 4th line to start the season to see what we have in him and provide some snarl and physicality.

Hope Appleton is okay... what a dumb hit to make in a meaningless preseason game.
Dubey does not pass the eye ball test for me. He seems like such a slug out there.
We need him engaged and I fear that will not happen on the consistent basis we will need to make the playoffs.

Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yeah one thing this org constantly nails is skilled forwards in round one. They absolutely know what they are looking for.

Two very different types but you need both and add a gritty scorer like McGoraty and you have the next forward nucleus.

Sounds like some of our young dmen also performed well tonight with is good to see.

Getting pretty excited for the season.

How'd the team systems look?
Systems?
On D, I thought our 5v5 D looks much more organized that we've seen in years.
I saw less pinching tonight but a lot better Gap from all of them.
The blueline is playing a more significant role off the rush - they are involved - more of a 5 man unit.
Ville was very good as QB on the PP tonight - that's his strength - he's an excellent passer and keeps the defenders guessing. His work in the D zone is so so - but his PP and offensive game may be enough to offset (depending on what the coaching want out of him).

On O, shifts were shorter (for the most part) and a lot of energy. Bowness wants these guys to move the puck up ice quickly and you can see that taking shape. There's still a fair amount of dumping but they are sending 2 guys in and making it rough on the defenders.
Our puck movement in the O ozone is much better, quicker, more touches - especially the skilled guys we just mentioned. Wheeler is surprising me - he's changing his game to fit the new plan. More aggressive and making quicker decisions when he has the puck.

Over all, the guys are simply quicker - that alone is changing the way they look out there. They are much harder to defend off the rush and when they gain the zone. When defending, they are managing net front a ton better and moving the puck quickly when they get it - more poised and less panic.

Those are a few of the things I'm seeing.
All with of that said, it's preseason so we'll see how it all holds up and progresses when it counts.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Jets young guns were bringing it tonight. Really enjoyed the effort. PLD had his moments, but appears to be watching the play develop to see if he should move his legs as opposed to moving his legs and giving the play a chance to develop around him. Seems like he's spectating a lot which is kind of similar to the criticism I'd give Scheifele over the last couple seasons. I wonder if that was something coached into these guys by Maurice given the absurd shift lengths these guys have.

Wheeler = 10 shifts over a minute / 22 shifts
Dubois = 12 shifts over a minute / 26 shifts

I should probably mention that it's likely a few of those longer shifts were probably on the powerplay, but that's still a lot of shifts running long.

Reactions: MardyBum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad