GDT: Preseason Game 4: Sabres at Penguins 7 PM

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Hopefully we're getting to the point where we will be fielding a more complete roster so we can properly access

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Craftsman
Respect for sticking with it, I guess...

tage.png

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
It's who he is... if he keeps putting up 45 plus goals it's fine...but its not ideal

I don't think so, Tage
This is where I’m at. He’s a force offensively, but I’m not 100% confident in him being the 1C you want trying to become a perennial contender. He’s gotta get better in other areas and that’s what I’ll be looking for this season. Shit even Eichel had to get better defensively and was able to be a 1C on a cup winner.

Tage needs to learn to use that reach to disrupt more plays and but also needs to play quicker and more decisively in tight games. I’m not talking about tonight, it is just preseason but this goes back to the end of last season where he slowed down considerably.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
This is where I’m at. He’s a force offensively, but I’m not 100% confident in him being the 1C you want trying to become a perennial contender. He’s gotta get better in other areas and that’s what I’ll be looking for this season. Shit even Eichel had to get better defensively and was able to be a 1C on a cup winner.

Tage needs to learn to use that reach to disrupt more plays and but also needs to play quicker and more decisively in tight games. I’m not talking about tonight, it is just preseason but this goes back to the end of last season where he slowed down considerably.

Where he got injured and slowed down.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Likely seven non-roster forwards and five non-roster defensemen skated Sid, Geno, most of the Pens top 9 and EK and Letang to a one-goal game late. Some good stuff out of Benson with Thompson again, loving the added dimension out of Ryan Johnson's game and the continued offensive thrust to Novikov. Not a lot of differentiation for some, think the AHL cuts will be easier than I would like regarding Kozak and Cederqvist. Oh well, plenty of time yet for both.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Talent matters, for sure. That's why I said who's in or out of the line up. But the coaching staff seems content to not do anything about how they play in their zone, even if it's AHL-ers and prospects and not the top 6. Fire wagon hockey isn't going to cut it this year.
Its more than just talent mattering. You're seeing a stripped-down version of what a team will do in the regular season and their capabilities are severely restricted depending on who dresses. Thats what preseason is.

You learn next to nothing about what to expect in the regular season from how a team plays in preseason.

Last edited:

Sound_n_Fury

Apr 3, 2005
Its more than just talent mattering. You're seeing a stripped-down version of what a team will do in the regular season and their capabilities are severely restricted depending on who dresses. Thats what preseason is.

You learn next to nothing about what to expect in the regular season from how a team plays in preseason.
I don't disagree. It is what it is. But a commitment to playing a modicum of team defense and understanding positioning responsibility should be be a bigger part of their game regardless of experience or talent level.

Knowing how and when to support the D, realizing what to do (and not do) in their own end or on offensive zone entries. Not turning it over repeatedly or giving up so many odd-man rushes knowing that a more talented/experienced opponent can bury those chances. Playing smarter hockey rather than shinny.

Yes, this was a mismatch roster-wise. It's what you get with 60 guys in training camp. But playing pond hockey against a superior opponent doesn't teach the young guys anything that will help them develop into NHLers. I'd like to see the coaching staff start to instill more of that discipline into everyone that puts on a Sabres jersey now that we're past the 'fun-and-gun' stage of the team's development.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I think UPL gets moved. I am a big UPL fan but he just can't seem to unlock that next level to where he is able to own a crease.
At this point in time UPL may be the poster boy for needing a fresh start somewhere else.

I think he's got talent. His development path has been highly disjointed by injuries, pandemic shutdowns, and premature callups because the Sabre's lack of NHL goaltending had him playing last year when a full year at Rochester would have been best for his career, IMO.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
if we extrapolate the pens the same people are doing it with tage, EK is just a turnover machine, Malkin has lost it completely, and Crosby is too unengaged to be a captain

so overall I think the Sabres are better off

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
if we extrapolate the pens the same people are doing it with tage, EK is just a turnover machine, Malkin has lost it completely, and Crosby is too unengaged to be a captain

so overall I think the Sabres are better off
I know the following are not avoidable:

-Malkins cap hit
-Malkin not leaving the Pens for us
-the cost in assets to attain Malkin

but if given the choice thats been forced down our throats lately about Patrick Kane....man I'd much rather have Malkin. Not at any of the above costs. But Malkin hasn't lost it. Kane physically has. Malkin was always mentally stronger too.

Reactions: Fly Boy and Fjordy

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Y
I know the following are not avoidable:

-Malkins cap hit
-Malkin not leaving the Pens for us
-the cost in assets to attain Malkin

but if given the choice thats been forced down our throats lately about Patrick Kane....man I'd much rather have Malkin. Not at any of the above costs. But Malkin hasn't lost it. Kane physically has. Malkin was always mentally stronger too.
Perfect description of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad