GDT: Preseason Game 4 at Capitals

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
If it's not better for him to play with the Canes than to go play for some other team, then drafting him was a MASSIVE mistake. This is THE team for him to be concerned with; who gives a rat's ass about any other.

The Canes need the other team to develop him this season. I don't know the schedules, but if keeping him here has him playing catchup when he goes back, that could hurt his development, no?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't like comparing Necas to past situations. Lindholm was rushed and it hurt him, yes, but he clearly wasn't ready. Necas actually looks like he belongs, like he knows what he's doing.

The other thing is, what kind of useful ice time is he going to get in the Czech league? From what I've read it seems like they're reluctant to give younger guys playing time...also what is their conditioning system like? I doubt it's equal to an NHL team's, or even probably most AHL teams. If we're looking at him as somebody who needs to get bigger/stronger keeping him with the Canes would seem to be the best way to make that happen while still giving him some useful minutes.

Of course the best option would be put him in Charlotte but that's probably not even a consideration.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If it's not better for him to play with the Canes than to go play for some other team, then drafting him was a MASSIVE mistake. This is THE team for him to be concerned with; who gives a rat's ass about any other.

The Canes need the other team to develop him this season. I don't know the schedules, but if keeping him here has him playing catchup when he goes back, that could hurt his development, no?

Yeah, that's what I was getting at Wally. Other than Skinner, Lindholm and Hanifin, every player on the Canes roster has been developed by someone else after being drafted. Every NHL team relies on other teams (Junior, NCAA, Euro leagues, etc..) to help develop players they pick. Is it more disruptive and will he have to play catch-up if he stays with the Canes longer? If so, would that be worse for his development? Maybe, maybe not. I was thinking that it would be better to get him back with his team (if that's the Canes intention in the long run) sooner rather than later. Maybe the additional instruction and coaching he's getting as geehaad and novacane suggested will be better. Fair discussion points.

As MinJaBen posted, maybe he's not going back at all and will be in the AHL this season?

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
The other thing is, what kind of useful ice time is he going to get in the Czech league? From what I've read it seems like they're reluctant to give younger guys playing time...

While this is true for young guys in general, Necas already isn't some new young guy trying to make Kometa's rooster....he was there last year and was integral part of Cup winning team.

also what is their conditioning system like? I doubt it's equal to an NHL team's, or even probably most AHL teams. If we're looking at him as somebody who needs to get bigger/stronger keeping him with the Canes would seem to be the best way to make that happen while still giving him some useful minutes.

Based on this https://hokej.idnes.cz/hokej-martin...or-dy4-/hokej.aspx?c=A170821_101118_hokej_tof Kometa hired Necas' personal condition coach so he doesn't have to travel to him. They work together since Necas recovered from mononucleosis and based on that article Necas improved alot under him.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I don't like comparing Necas to past situations. Lindholm was rushed and it hurt him, yes, but he clearly wasn't ready. Necas actually looks like he belongs, like he knows what he's doing.

The other thing is, what kind of useful ice time is he going to get in the Czech league? From what I've read it seems like they're reluctant to give younger guys playing time...also what is their conditioning system like? I doubt it's equal to an NHL team's, or even probably most AHL teams. If we're looking at him as somebody who needs to get bigger/stronger keeping him with the Canes would seem to be the best way to make that happen while still giving him some useful minutes.

Of course the best option would be put him in Charlotte but that's probably not even a consideration.

He played 1C for Kometa for a good part of the season until he got tired/had personal issues sometime around January; then he got pushed down the lineup for a while. If he went back, he would likely go back to the 1C spot.

Very happy to see him do so well in preseason.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
It seems as everyone @ing me is assuming I'm advocating for him to stay the full season. I said less than 10 games. I'm advocating to return him, but that he stay here for as long as he has a meaningful role on the roster and doesn't impede any other player who belongs on the roster, as long as it's less than 10 games.

At that point, he returns to Brno and gets months of development in the same vein as he got all of last season. The first month of Brno's season is immaterial to his development, and pales in comparison to the development of him as a Hurricane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad