GDT: Preseason Game 4 at Capitals

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Carrick is an NHLer right now. I don't see any reason he shouldn't be at least the 7th d-man and, handedness aside, I'm honestly starting to wonder if he's not better than TVR.

He's absolutely an NHL quality defenseman. Trouble is, we have something like 9 of those at the moment, and only 6 can play. At some point, we've gotta trade one or two of these guys or else lose them to waivers. Not the world's worst problem to have. But yeah, as of today, I keep Fleury and Carrick with the team and waive Dahlbeck. If he gets claimed, good for him. If not, he's a known quantity for a call up. Peters has said that he plans with opening the season with 23 on the roster, but I suspect the reserves will be 1D and 2 forwards.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Necas dances on the ice, and made good decisions with the puck. Caps looked to light him up a couple of times but the kid had his head up and used his agility to avoid the contact. I'd like him not to stay but I can see the allure. He has something potentially special going on.

The thing that impressed me seeing him in person was just how sneaky fast he was. He's not one of those guys who's just a dervish of motion, but you just see him suddenly zip down the ice and say, "wait a minute, how the hell did he just do that?". He's agile, again in a very smooth way. Doesn't look like he's doing much of anything, but he just moves and opposing players just miss. Honestly a little reminiscent of Gretzky in that aspect. He's not a guy like MSL who you can see jumping out of hits and escaping dramatically, he's just not there when somebody tries to lay the body. Very nice skill, and a tough one to quantify.

If he can manage the grind, I think he'd be an effective NHL player. The physical talent and hockey sense all seems to be there. But he does look slight, and it would be nice to see him add bulk, both for resiliency's sake, and so that he can be effective in board play- right now he's not effective there. If he can add the strength necessary to regularly fish pucks out in battles along the boards, he'll be a star. And given his age, there's no reason to think that he won't be able to add that eventually. But even without that, I think he can be effective if you pair him with a guy or two who can dig and cycle better than he can. Going into camp I thought he should go back to Europe and add some strength- now, I'm not so sure. He's good enough now that I think he'll easily be able to help the team. It may just be best to let him hit the weights with Brindy during the season and order him to bulk up in the summer.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
While Necas staying would be fun and exciting, it's really not the best scenario for his development. I think we've rushed other prospects trying to expedite a better on ice product, and it's hurt us. Aho should be a baseline for how to approach this.

Edit: I'm still of the opinion that playoffs are another season away. Unless we get some spectacular goaltending out of Darling. Necas could be without question an NHLer by next season if he has a good campaign over seas.

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The bar has been set too high for Necas to even get a few games, I think. They've got 9 guys who played at a 35+ point pace last year. The only vulnerable player has 3 goals and 4 points in 2 games this preseason.

Unless they think he's a shoe-in for 45+ points, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Especially, when there's plenty of AHL depth as well.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I've said this before and have had limited viewings on Necas. The kid has some incredible skates and vision. He's gonna rack up a ton of assists in his career as he can pass the puck. But I've noticed his shot isn't very good. He seems to shoot pucks wide & low often. His wrist shot also doesn't seem to have a lot of velocity to it, which isn't going to be enough to beat NHL goalies on the regular. He's still going to score goals just due to the nature on how he can create space for himself. But he's really going to make a name for himself if he can improve upon on his shooting.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Some of it will come with more strength, but his shot is something that he can improve dramatically with work. Vision and hockey sense you either have at this point in your career or you don't.

Even skating can be tough to make huge gains on at this point. Yeah, guys can, and do work on it and do get better, but you don't go from being a bad skater to being like Necas is.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The bar has been set too high for Necas to even get a few games, I think. They've got 9 guys who played at a 35+ point pace last year. The only vulnerable player has 3 goals and 4 points in 2 games this preseason.

Unless they think he's a shoe-in for 45+ points, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Especially, when there's plenty of AHL depth as well.

Well, one of those guys has been AWOL for the whole preseason so far with some sort of back/hip issue. If he is not skating very soon, there maybe a spot open in the top nine at least temporarily. The question is if Necas fills the role the best vs. one of the other young guys that will be in Charlotte.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I could see them giving him one or two games at the start if Stempniak is out, just to give him a pat on the back but past that I'd expect the depth in Charlotte to get their shot.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
After so much praise from the staff and his on-ice performance over 3 preseason games, I think I’d be more surprised if Necas is sent back to Brno versus at least getting his 9 game “cup of coffee.” Stempniak being hurt only increases his chances on being on the opening night roster. After all, what’s the harm in giving him some, if not the full 9 games?

Either he proves he can handle top 9 minutes at 18 or he gets a sniff and goes back to Brno with loads of confidence, knowing he’s got a spot on the roster next year. Ideally, he goes back and is on the roster next year, but we really don’t have a player with those skills on this years roster, so you never know.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Unless he's staying with the Canes for the full season, I'd like Necas to go back now honestly. From what I can tell, Brno's season is already 5 games in. By giving Necas even 2 games (or more) and then sending him back, that could hamper his season over in Brno. They only play 52 games so he's already missed 10% of that season.

Get him over there and back integrated with his team and let him develop. If he has a good season, then bring him in next year.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Unless he's staying with the Canes for the full season, I'd like Necas to go back now honestly. From what I can tell, Brno's season is already 5 games in. By giving Necas even 2 games (or more) and then sending him back, that could hamper his season over in Brno. They only play 52 games so he's already missed 10% of that season.

Get him over there and back integrated with his team and let him develop. If he has a good season, then bring him in next year.

The more he stays in camp, the more certain I am he is not going back. Mostly because I think he wants to stay here. He has said he actually prefers the smaller rinks...I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to stay and go to the AHL if he doesn't make the team. As a 1st round European player, he can do that and his ELC will slide in the AHL just like it would in Juniors or in Brno.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006

His position with Brno is immaterial. Let him develop the connections here in Raleigh while he can, then send him to Brno before he reaches 10 NHL regular season games.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
His position with Brno is immaterial. Let him develop the connections here in Raleigh while he can, then send him to Brno before he reaches 10 NHL regular season games.

How do you know it's immaterial?

Maybe spending time in Raleigh is better for his development, but maybe getting back to his team in Europe where he can play a full season with that team is better. Aho went straight back and developed just fine.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
How do you know it's immaterial?

Are you arguing that he will develop better/faster/whatever with Brno as opposed to the Canes, because that's what I'm arguing against. If you're not arguing that, can you clarify?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Are you arguing that he will develop better/faster/whatever with Brno as opposed to the Canes, because that's what I'm arguing against. If you're not arguing that, can you clarify?

What I'm saying is that IF the Canes are going to send him back to Brno, then do it now vs. playing him a couple of games then sending him back. I can't see how playing 1-2 games here vs. getting with his team for 50ish games makes sense. If the plan is to NOT send him back to Brno, then fine.

Is playing a couple of NHL games better than getting back with his Czech team for a full season? I think it's not much, if any of any of an advantage. If the plan is to have him play the AHL, then that's different.

Of course, this is a fan speaking and I have no experience developing NHL talent.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I honestly think 40 vs 50 games doesn't make a difference, especially if it means games here for more coaching and advice that helps his future

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I honestly think 40 vs 50 games doesn't make a difference, especially if it means games here for more coaching and advice that helps his future

Fair enough. I personally think he's getting the same coaching and advice whether he goes back now or a week from now.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I personally think he's getting the same coaching and advice whether he goes back now or a week from now.

He's going to be learning every single day he's here, and spending months with Brno is immaterial in comparison to what he's going to learn in the month or so he's here -- especially since he was a member of that team all of last season. What is conveyed by Peters' staff (heh heh) is what matters, and you can't lay down months worth of information in 10 days.

What's your rush, anyway?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
He's going to be learning every single day he's here, and spending months with Brno is immaterial in comparison to what he's going to learn in the month or so he's here -- especially since he was a member of that team all of last season. What is conveyed by Peters' staff (heh heh) is what matters, and you can't lay down months worth of information in 10 days.

What's your rush, anyway?

Did Aho not learn every single day when he went back to Finland? Was that immaterial? Was that a "rush"?

I do get it, that every player is different and maybe staying in NA is better for Necas, but I just can't assume that staying in NA is better for a player's development.

Maybe you are right, that staying with the Canes is better for him, but maybe it's not.

In the end, I DO trust RF to make the right call for Necas.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Maybe you are right, that staying with the Canes is better for him, but maybe it's not.

If it's not better for him to play with the Canes than to go play for some other team, then drafting him was a MASSIVE mistake. This is THE team for him to be concerned with; who gives a rat's ass about any other.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Seems like both routes have their positives. I can't imagine either making that big of a difference either way. Though I'm one of the few that doesn't think his development will be that hampered if he stays with the Canes this year. Not that I'm advocating for that. I'm sticking with I trust this staff for that too.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If it's not better for him to play with the Canes than to go play for some other team, then drafting him was a MASSIVE mistake. This is THE team for him to be concerned with; who gives a rat's ass about any other.

I think that is a bit simplistic. It easily could be that a prospect is better off on another team vs the Canes for a temporary period of time due to how much playing time he could get on each vs how much he needs. The Canes are at a point where they NEED to make the playoffs ASAP...that also is not the best learning environment for some guys.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I think that is a bit simplistic. It easily could be that a prospect is better off on another team vs the Canes for a temporary period of time due to how much playing time he could get on each vs how much he needs. The Canes are at a point where they NEED to make the playoffs ASAP...that also is not the best learning environment for some guys.

I think it's also worth noting that Bill Peters seems to be a much better teaching coach than Muller was when, say, Lindholm came in, and that makes a difference too. Peters seems to have a generally good sense of how to manage, teach, and support young players, and that's gotta play into the decision as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad