GDT: Preseason Game 3: Sharks @ Coyotes - 6PM

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't think that Raanta played so poorly. He wasn't spectacular, but he was really, really hung out to dry on at least 2 of the goals allowed, including a 2 on 1.

OEL has a knee injury. That's the big takeaway.

Keller is very good. He will make the team.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The game really had 3 sections.

The first 10 minutes or so the Coyotes were completely dominant. Keller was amazing. Cousins was amazing and looks very effective on the wing. Reminded me of Rieder. Dvorak, Stepan, Perlini, Fischer, Connauton, Richardson and Domi were very good.

Passes were tape to tape and QUICKLY executed.

Then after a couple penalties the Coyotes were on their heels all the way through the 2nd. Just about everyone was discombobulated. Constantly late to 50/50 pucks. Defensemen getting beat on the edge. Smereck was pretty badly exposed. He's got the speed to keep up and seemed to be in the right placeish but doesn't have the agility to keep up with skilled players moves. Raanta was a little shaky on the rebounds and seemed to misjudge some distance shots. But I didn't think he was terrible given how poorly the team defense was for 30 minutes or so.

The third was a lot more even. Stepan and Cousins looked like they did in the first. Langhammer was very good in the 3rd. Keller had some good shifts on the point on the PP. If I'm judging only by one game, there's no way Keller is sent to the A. H

Strome was there. He wasn't a passenger, he was engaged and skating. But I didn't think he had many opportunities to shine. A few decent PP shifts where was on Dvorak's wing playing the half way.

For all the crap everyone was talking about Garland earlier, some of it deserved, he was the best I have ever seen him tonight. He didn't puck hog, didn't take stupid long shifts, made some slick passes in traffic to create shots for Richardson. Even threw a few hits.

Did it look like a leg injury?

Like everyone else said, holding his knee.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Domi Stepan Keller was filthy. There was a particularly nasty tic tac toe passing play that Keller just missed converting on.

Yessir and Stephan's goal was generated by some beautiful Keller work. He's also stronger on the boards than he was as little as two weeks ago. I'm just amazed by his progress.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
As exciting as this is, I hate the feeling of Duclair left out in the cold on this. Though, Perlini-Dvorak-Duclair could be a thing, potentially.

Duke hasn't shown me squat in camp - looked like last season, so far.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Before you guys get too wet over Keller, he also tried to force a number of plays that resulted in odd man rushes. And SJ fielded at best a B- roster. Boedker scored two goals, wore the A tonight but was also a healthy scratch many times last year, including playoffs. So..not their best roster. We should have played ALOT better. But Tocch has not had time with the full roster to work systems etc. He just has a lot of work to do. That said, Keller was better than Strome.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The game really had 3 sections.

The first 10 minutes or so the Coyotes were completely dominant. Keller was amazing. Cousins was amazing and looks very effective on the wing. Reminded me of Rieder. Dvorak, Stepan, Perlini, Fischer, Connauton, Richardson and Domi were very good.

Passes were tape to tape and QUICKLY executed.

Then after a couple penalties the Coyotes were on their heels all the way through the 2nd. Just about everyone was discombobulated. Constantly late to 50/50 pucks. Defensemen getting beat on the edge. Smereck was pretty badly exposed. He's got the speed to keep up and seemed to be in the right placeish but doesn't have the agility to keep up with skilled players moves. Raanta was a little shaky on the rebounds and seemed to misjudge some distance shots. But I didn't think he was terrible given how poorly the team defense was for 30 minutes or so.

The third was a lot more even. Stepan and Cousins looked like they did in the first. Langhammer was very good in the 3rd. Keller had some good shifts on the point on the PP. If I'm judging only by one game, there's no way Keller is sent to the A. H

Strome was there. He wasn't a passenger, he was engaged and skating. But I didn't think he had many opportunities to shine. A few decent PP shifts where was on Dvorak's wing playing the half way.

For all the crap everyone was talking about Garland earlier, some of it deserved, he was the best I have ever seen him tonight. He didn't puck hog, didn't take stupid long shifts, made some slick passes in traffic to create shots for Richardson. Even threw a few hits.

Strong recap :handclap:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
As exciting as this is, I hate the feeling of Duclair left out in the cold on this. Though, Perlini-Dvorak-Duclair could be a thing, potentially.

Duke for sure has a ton of natural chemistry with domi, but he could gel with another playmaker. I think ideally you wound go Domi Stepan duke, then do Perlini Dvorak Keller. Keller isn't marner, and Perlini isn't Tkachuk but that could maybe be similar chemistry wise. Or sub Crouse in for Perlini.

Good call on cousins sniper, I totally forgot to mention him (really after the OEL injury all I could think was "oh **** oh **** oh ****",so my post game thoughts are clouded). He was very good, and not just like 4th line plug good, it looked like he's got some skill. Wasn't he supposed to he a bad skater? If so he doesn't look bad to me. I'm not saying he's going to be a big time scorer, but I guess I was expecting a borderline NHLer, and 4th line grinder, and he looks like he may be more like a 4th/3rd line tweener.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I don't think that Raanta played so poorly. He wasn't spectacular, but he was really, really hung out to dry on at least 2 of the goals allowed, including a 2 on 1.

Keller is very good. He will make the team.

I agree with these statements. It was an entertaining game.

My observations:

Strome was invisble
Garland still sucks. It's like they were playing shorthanded every time his line went out. Every time that midget got the puck, the full size players victimized him
Goligoski was terrible
Smereck played well, I say he makes the big show before Wood
Schenn looked good

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Before you guys get too wet over Keller, he also tried to force a number of plays that resulted in odd man rushes.

I seriously doubt anyone is having a sexual response regarding Kellers play.
Yes he forced on occasion, if you didn't notice - he wasn't alone. There were countless times we lacked any semblance of defensive responsibility as we attempted to force offense, rather than making safe plays.

It's preseason, there's a learning curve and it isn't easy. I'll stand by my assertion that the kids improvement is impressive.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
What I saw were players on ice with different expectations. There were passes to the crease with no one present, passes to the flanks with no one present. I think that these issues are due to the newness of Tocchet's system. Nobody seemed to know just where they were supposed to be with the puck down low, puck on the sideboards, and when acquiring the puck below the goal line.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
What I saw were players on ice with different expectations. There were passes to the crease with no one present, passes to the flanks with no one present. I think that these issues are due to the newness of Tocchet's system. Nobody seemed to know just where they were supposed to be with the puck down low, puck on the sideboards, and when acquiring the puck below the goal line.

This will happen as a coach gives offensive freedom. Particularly early on, as there has been little time to gel. There were also times of strong playmaking imo.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This will happen as a coach gives offensive freedom. Particularly early on, as there has been little time to gel. There were also times of strong playmaking imo.

Very true, but those plays, IIRC, were mostly players in each others' sight lines. I was talking about the blind passes up the boards, to the points, or in OEL's case up the creases, etc.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Very true, but those plays, IIRC, were mostly players in each others' sight lines. I was talking about the blind passes up the boards, to the points, or in OEL's case up the creases, etc.

It's a similar thing though, in that a player needs to establish what he will do in a given situation, so that teammates can adapt/adjust. I just think it's indicative, of less structure and more offensive freedom. IIRC RT said he wasn't even emphasizing offensive systems just yet.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I agree with these statements. It was an entertaining game.

My observations:

Strome was invisble
Garland still sucks. It's like they were playing shorthanded every time his line went out. Every time that midget got the puck, the full size players victimized him
Goligoski was terrible
Smereck played well, I say he makes the big show before Wood
Schenn looked good

Disagree on Smereck. Thought he was horrible and sat last couple of his shifts. He was turnover machine like Goose..maybe call him mini Goose. Was hoping for better showing but he's been getting beat all camp. Even with OEL injury he'll be cut tomorrow.

Last edited:

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Holy **** i am panicking

Meh this is nothing a Coyotes fan hasn't seen 1,000 times already.

We get all excited, **** happens, accept that this team is cursed, and hope that something finally goes right for next season.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I missed the game, but I thought for sure Duke would have a rebound year. We sure could use him. How did Strome look?

Duke did not play, I was referring to what I've seen from him in camp thus far. Strome was fine, but did few things to stand out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad