Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #3 | SABRES @ LEAFS | Fri, Sep 21 @ 7:30pm ET | SportsNet 1 | Scotiabank Arena

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Through three games, I think it clearly shows that those players who played in the rookie tournament is a lot more ready than those who didn’t with a few exceptions.

Give a few more games and the vets will show why they finished last season with the Leafs.

Leivo looked really good today. If there is one element the Leafs lacked is a big forward driving to the net. He did it a few times tonight and if he can continue doing it every game, he will be in the lineup.

Sparks had one bad period, not going to write him off just yet but Mcbackup is just solid. It will be tough to lose one of them.

He was a puck hound today.
I'm just wondering if Leivo can up his skill level a bit to match up with top 2 lines.

Babs gave him the look today - and yeah we do need a large presence to battle those West coast teams

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
You make a good point.
Just off the top of my head the Marlies have:

Borgman
Liljegren
Holl
Loverde
Marincin
Subban
Nielsen
Rosen

1 or 2 of those guys might be on the Leafs roster depending on what they do with Carrick.

I'd love to see Sandin, Durzi or even Hollowell get some semi-regular icetime with the Marlies this year the same way Bracco did last year. He and Marchment spent a lot of time training with the staff during the early parts of the season and would stay back on road trips and work on their strength with the strength coaches. They've both progressed so well over this past year. Just my opinion though.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Not dishing on him, just stating the fact how far off he is from NHL.

You make it sound like he's Nielsen or Subban ways off from making the Leafs when to me he's not that far off. If he has a good year in the AHL this season then who knows, perhaps we could hopefully see him next year.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Just off the top of my head the Marlies have:

Borgman
Liljegren
Holl
Loverde
Marincin
Subban
Nielsen
Rosen

1 or 2 of those guys might be on the Leafs roster depending on what they do with Carrick.

I'd love to see Sandin, Durzi or even Hollowell get some semi-regular icetime with the Marlies this year the same way Bracco did last year. He and Marchment spent a lot of time training with the staff during the early parts of the season and would stay back on road trips and work on their strength with the strength coaches. They've both progressed so well over this past year. Just my opinion though.

I'd like to see the Marlies run wifh:

Borgman
Rosen
Liljegren
Sandin
Neilsen
Marancin

As the main guys this upcoming season. Loverde is a good vet and could slide in. Subban is a long shot to develop I think.

Reactions: LeafChief

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Because Sparks is one of the top AHL goalies and will most likely be claimed if hes goes on waivers. Its hard to throw away an asset like that.

How about trading Sparks and keeping Pickard if we can? Everytime he's been in net, I don't really feel confident about him being able to provide solid, consistent goaltending let alone great goaltending.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I’m in Gatineau, it’s been a little crazy! But don’t you worry, cell towers are still functioning and a yt stream saved the day!

just saw the news that Ottawa-Gatineau region is crazy. CBC has a story on how a father was holding on to his daughter in Gatineau as she was lifted up by the tornado.

stay safe out there man

Reactions: MyBudJT

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
anyone else wondering if Engvall could make a push for this team? he's 6'5, can skate and play LW. could fit that fourth line role.. I know it's a long shot but I'd rather him there than Ennis

Reactions: dsred

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Leivo noticable again.

Tavares/Marner are gonna be deadly this year.

SDA is a fun little player to watch. Hopefully ready in a couple of years.

Carrick is on the chopping block if he doesnt pick it up soon.

Rough outing for Sparks after a good first outing but he'll get a few more tries.

Good bounce back from Hainsey tonight after a rough first game.

Liljegren/Sandin looked their age a little more but are both very dynamic future dmen here.

Reactions: Lauro

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
anyone else wondering if Engvall could make a push for this team? he's 6'5, can skate and play LW. could fit that fourth line role.. I know it's a long shot but I'd rather him there than Ennis

He keeps getting looks from Babcock so I'm sure the idea crossed his mind. Engvall with his size and skating package is clearly an NHLer. Leivo and Ennis have an advantage as they are required to clear waivers but no doubt Engvall is the 13th forward.

I'm thinking Leivo and Sparks for sure and maybe Nylander are on the trade block.

Reactions: francis246

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I was at the game tonight, exciting and fun preseason game, perfect for all the kids we took along with us.

My observations:
- unlike those that watched it online/TV, I thought both goalies looked very solid, but McGoalie should have gotten 2nd star for saving the game several times in the third
- watching JT live was a treat... he's got the incredible stick skills and savvy of a true NHL superstar, very much like Matthews in terms of adeptness with the stick. Incredible wrister, and so calm on the ice.
- Marner and JT were electric on the ice. Kadri had a strong game. Engvall stood out for me, he looks like a player. Leivo I felt played well, but never got a good pass when he was ready and in position, so maybe just a case of linemates missing him.
*Edit: forgot that Mueller kid, he really impressed me with his jam and effort. His goal was pure hard work.
And Liljegren was very good, looked like a solid, regular NHL defenseman.

- Rielly had a poor game, but whatever, it's preseason. How Hainsey got 2nd star I'll never know, he stood out to me way more for his giveaways and mistakes, rather than his goal. Marincin... wasn't great.

Overall:
Excitement for the season went up a notch. Cannot WAIT to see a lineup with all of JT/Mitch, AND Matty/Nylander going back to back...
Go Leafs!

Last edited:

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Really need to bump Hainsey down to the 3rd pairing. Don't know if we have anyone who can unseat him though. Hopefully Dermott but not sure if he's ready.

Reactions: dsred

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
McElhinney was always going to be the backup goaltender this season. He had a .934% on a dirt cheap contract last season, his job was never in question or in jeopardy regardless of what some people may lead to believe. It's not even close, Sparks is going on the waiver wire or being traded before it's said and done.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If Sparks plays poorly after a bunch of real NHL games, a change will be made. He'll get the chance to fail though.
I say they keep 3 goalies until they can trade one and it is looking more and more like Sparks that is going. He looked ok in his first game. With lots of luck with his posts. He gets lost in his net still and save selection is poor. McB has out played him period.

Sparks game does not look NHL ready and as we are trying to win the last game we play this year we can not afford to go with a guess and a hope.,

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00