Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #3 | SABRES @ LEAFS | Fri, Sep 21 @ 7:30pm ET | SportsNet 1 | Scotiabank Arena

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I disagree, but you’re welcome to that opinion. Didn’t catch the whole game but from what I saw Liljegren looked like an elite prospect tonight besides one moment where he lost his footing but recovered nicely. If we’re comparing the two, Liljegren had a much better showing at the rookie tournament this year too (though Sandin was no slouch either).
Didn't Babs say Lil didn't have a good rookie tourney yesterday?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Didn't Babs say Lil didn't have a good rookie tourney yesterday?
He was referring to last years tourney I believe. He looked pretty good in this years. They seem to be going the Dermott route with him, which is fine if at the end he comes out as a solid two-way defender.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He was referring to last years tourney I believe. He looked pretty good in this years. They seem to be going the Dermott route with him, which is fine if at the end he comes out as a solid two-way defender.
Think he meant this year bro, 2:15:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Unfortunately who ever isn't waiver exempt will probably sit in the press box (Holl Carrick Marincin) while players like Borgman and Ozhiganov, Rosen will probably be sent down if they don't grab that #6 spot. It's not ideal, but f there's an injury they are close, and can be brought up. If they are on the road, then you might get The press box "black ace". Hope that turns out to be Holl at the end of the day. He's a better option than Carrick or Marincin.

It'll be something like

Rielly. Hainsey
Gardiner. Zaitsev
Dermott. Ozhiganov
Holl

I think holl will be waived. A lot of these guys will have to be waived. We can only keep 23. The chances of losing all our waiver eligible guys is slim. We may lose one or two. But with every team looking to cut their rosters to 23, a lot of these guys will clear waivers. Only person who wouldn't is Leivo or Carrick IMO

Reactions: Daisy Jane

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
McElhinney was always going to be the backup goaltender this season. He had a .934% on a dirt cheap contract last season, his job was never in question or in jeopardy regardless of what some people may lead to believe. It's not even close, Sparks is going on the waiver wire or being traded before it's said and done.

I'll concede, mc backup is better than Sparks. However do the Leafs let go of a good young goalie who has not hit his prime for a goalie who is 35 and on the back 9? Leivo looked good as well as Timashov and Engvall.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JT the best player in this game and Tage Thompson the best prospect on either team.

Watching Tavares score goals for my Leafs is still hard to believe even though one if seeing it with ones own eyes.

Leafs young pairing or Lil and Sand >>> Carrick.

Going to be interesting to see who wins the backup job and McElroo was the better of the 2 in this one. I personally go with the young guy because of the future.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov/Rosen/Holl
Carrick

Two of Oz/Rosen/Holl go to the Marlies with Borgman.

Marincin needs to get moved for a conditional 9th.
IN no world should Hainsey be on the first pair/get first pair minutes anymore.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
anyone else wondering if Engvall could make a push for this team? he's 6'5, can skate and play LW. could fit that fourth line role.. I know it's a long shot but I'd rather him there than Ennis

He might crack the lineup next year after we trade Johnsson. He will be a good player on Kadri’s wing.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Truth be told, I am not enamored with Hainsey anywhere but our bottom pairing, and not at the expense of Dermott playing on his off-side.

I have no problems parting ways with Marincin and Carrick via waivers, as much as I hate to lose any asset for nothing, but we have significantly better options that have long-term potential.

Rosen, Oz, and Borgman can all be sent to the Marlie's without having to pass through waivers, which is what should happen, even though they have all made strong showing for themselves in camp.

Holl is not waiver exempt, and he is someone that I would like to get a real and extended chance at the NHL level. Each time he's played he has shown that he can play at the NHL level and has size we desperately need.

I'd like to see him win a spot in the lineup and let's see what he can do.

These guys are our future, Hainsey, not so much...........

Reactions: dsred

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Babcock is pretty predictable.
The lines you see are pretty much the lines that make the team:
Marleau...Matthews...Ennis/Nylander
Hyman...Tavares...Marner
Leivo...Kadri...Brown
Johnsson...Lindholm...Kapanen

Now when Nylander is signed, the question will be who does Babcock prefer?
Leivo/Ennis...Kadri...Brown

Engvall is setting himself up to be remembered by Babs but isn’t making this team.

On D, no matter how well Sandin/Lilly play, they aren’t making the team. At all.

The top 4 are Rielly/Hainsey/Gardiner/Zaitsev. That’s taken.

There is a log jam for 5-7.
Dermott,Borgman,Rosen,Carrick,Oz.
Babs will choose.

Goaltending Andersen/McBackup. Tie goes to the vet and nobody outplayed Curtis.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Ya you’re right, it sounds like it was this years. Quite surprised, he played pretty well from what I saw. Perhaps he is not one of Babcock’s favs.
I thought he was good, but not dominant. Babs seems to expect more from the better prospects.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Had great seats last night, fun feeling the crowd's excitement over JT.

Some thoughts:
-Hainsey really showed his age. Worried about him playing first pair again.
-Tavares is so strong on the puck. Some poor turnovers, probably just getting used to new teammates.
-SDA makes quick decisions, didn't try to force anything like lots of young skilled prospects do.
-Sandin was really steady. Nothing flashy, but makes the smart play. Liljegren some bad turnovers, and obviously the back-to-back penalties. Nonetheless, Liljegren's style can work when paired with a guy like Sandin. Future #2 pair?
-Timashov was a puck hound all night. He hustled all game. Liked Leivo's forechecking as well.
-Kadri was meh, but had some big hits. Not concerned.
-Carrick had a rough game. Bad decisions all night. But its just one game.
-Engvall showed an all-around game. Excited about him challenging for a spot next year.
-Greening should be ahead of guys like Jooris and Cracknell. He should be on a lot of NHL teams in a depth role.

Reactions: Slyfox

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
-Hainsey really showed his age. Worried about him playing first pair again.

If Babs could have 6 Hainsey's in the lineup he would be in heaven. No matter how badly he plays he will be playing the exact same role this year as last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad