GDT: Preseason Game #3 | Minnesota at Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Coach:

-says the same thing we've said about Beau. Like to see him bring that finisher aspect to his game. Go to the net more.
-the off-wing stuff. well said
-he'd like to push Sutter this year and play him with the more skilled guys

[NHL]633366[/NHL]

So, I might be a pompous ivy league ass, but isn't it just amazing how much more faith one has in the competence of a person who can manufacture complete, cogent sentences that actually (smartly) address the questions asked... compared to the faith you have in one who... well... cannot?

As much as I am looking forward to seeing how we will do with Johnston, I almost despair when thinking about us keeping Dan for that long. Such a waste of golden years.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
HFBoards has been redeemed by Beau Bennett.
As a huge fan of Beau Bennett, and an equally huge detractor of DB, I can honestly say that these developments have given me such an immense sense of vindication. The vast majority of Pens fans on this board deserve that vindication too, because we've had to endure the madhouse regime that was Dan Bylsma for what was at least 2 years too long, all the while stunned and amazed that NO ONE SEEMED TO NOTICE.

Let the healing begin.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So, I might be a pompous ivy league ass, but isn't it just amazing how much more faith one has in the competence of a person who can manufacture complete, cogent sentences that actually (smartly) address the questions asked... compared to the faith you have in one who... well... cannot?

As much as I am looking forward to seeing how we will do with Johnston, I almost despair when thinking about us keeping Dan for that long. Such a waste of golden years.

Such a bittersweet thing. For every good thing that happens from here on out with the new regime, you just can't shake the sting of "what if" over the past few seasons if the changes had been made earlier.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
As a huge fan of Beau Bennett, and an equally huge detractor of DB, I can honestly say that these developments have given me such an immense sense of vindication. The vast majority of Pens fans on this board deserve that vindication too, because we've had to endure the madhouse regime that was Dan Bylsma for what was at least 2 years too long, all the while stunned and amazed that NO ONE SEEMED TO NOTICE.

Let the healing begin.

There were a few of us who noticed going back to 2012. What a breath of fresh air this coaching staff is. You can see they are starting to get themselves pointed in the right direction again as an organization. Brandon Sutter is looking more and more like he's a real force every time he's on the ice, which is a nice problem for this new coaching staff.:nod:

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK

I couldn't agree more...

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
It's not about answering questions. Its knowing HOW to answer questions. Johnston's a hockey coach. He's a teacher. He's not a cheerleader. I don't want a tyrant (see Boudreau), but someone that can give respect but also demand it. Just look at Beau Bennett's comments since the start of camp. Don't think for a second that numerous other players aren't thinking the same thing. This isn't a direct knock on Disco. He did an admirable job. But he couldn't take this team back to the promised land, as he continued to get outCOACHED in the playoffs. Just look at his playoff record. I am not saying Johnston is a god. I am just saying he understands players, X's and O's etc. Stay tuned.

uhm what? there's not a strong enough word to describe how I feel about Bylsma, Shero for going through fire for him, and the upper echelon of the organization for keeping him.

unreal, how lucky he has been with that SC that bought him five ****ing years of coaching the best two players of this generation.

btw, I'll get a Bennett jersey, I was thinking who should I get with the new jersey, and his hate for Bylsma just settled it.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Thankfully Bylsma was put out his misery. He simply will never get it. He will never come to realize coaches are defined by accomplishments in the big games. He is a grinder in coaching and life and only sees what is directly in front of him. But that flyer playoff series defined for me his ineptitude. How refreshing it is to hear a coherent head coach who is organized, responsive and anticipates questions and concerns.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's nice Johnston is well spoken, but I'm not ready to fawn over his coaching prowess.

He can give dissertations for every question thrown his way, but I want to see how he reacts to game situations, what his lineup decisions are going to be, how he handles slumps or losing streaks, and if he can create a culture of accountability.

If he plays Adams on the fourth line or Scuds in the top four, I'm going to start having my doubts about him.

He claimed he is looking for the best players to fit his system and it's painfully obvious Adams and Scuds are the worst fits imaginable.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
It's nice Johnston is well spoken, but I'm not ready to fawn over his coaching prowess.

He can give dissertations for every question thrown his way, but I want to see how he reacts to game situations, what his lineup decisions are going to be, how he handles slumps or losing streaks, and if he can create a culture of accountability.

If he plays Adams on the fourth line or Scuds in the top four, I'm going to start having my doubts about him.

He claimed he is looking for the best players to fit his system and it's painfully obvious Adams and Scuds are the worst fits imaginable.

He might be forced to play them (especially Scuds) at first to try to open up a trade market. Whether playing them increases or decreases their trade value is certainly up for debate.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He might be forced to play them (especially Scuds) at first to try to open up a trade market. Whether playing them increases or decreases their trade value is certainly up for debate.

He can play Scuds without putting him in the top four.

Playing Adams will just decrease his value even further, if that's even possible.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
My views on the game from my seat at CEC last night:

• Comeau was a lightning rod out there. His speed was evident and he easily blew past the bottom-pairing defenders he was matched up against, it was nice to see.
  • Bennett is finally starting to look like he'll live up to his potential. That's two consistent games from him. Really liking the pairing of him and Sutter
  • Sutter may prove me wrong when I said he won't live up to his 3+ million dollar contract. I figured he would look better with better wingers, but he is looking pretty phenomenal right now.
  • Sill was hitting everything that moved out there. Gonna be a tough choice for that 12th defender.
  • Horqvist continues to impress. It's so fantastic seeing a player who instinctively goes to the front of the net and battles like crazy.
  • Downie wasn't amazing, but not bad either, just what I expected.
  • Spaling was unnoticable, but that's actually a good thing. He's never been a guy you notice I dont' believe. If he just plays solid two way hockey and gets points/goals here and there his mission is accomplished.
  • Sundqvist looked good even without the goal, still may need some development time for consistency though.
  • Megna wasn't as speedy as year's past and really wasn't making much happen.
  • As previously stated, you can tell Kapenan has brilliance inside of him, but he needs to develop. I wish he would go to Wilkes Barre instead of back to the Finnish elite league. He needs to get used the smaller rink and tighter game-style. Reminds me of an early-Bennett.

Other notes:
  • Looks like Despres is sticking it to DB with two assists when he's finally allowed to carry the puck.
  • OMG I'm pretty sure I saw a center drive last night...never thought I'd see the day someone drove hard to the net again on this team.
  • Excited to see the whole d-core work as a part of this new puck-moving system!

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
My views on the game from my seat at CEC last night:

• Comeau was a lightning rod out there. His speed was evident and he easily blew past the bottom-pairing defenders he was matched up against, it was nice to see.
  • Bennett is finally starting to look like he'll live up to his potential. That's two consistent games from him. Really liking the pairing of him and Sutter
  • Sutter may prove me wrong when I said he won't live up to his 3+ million dollar contract. I figured he would look better with better wingers, but he is looking pretty phenomenal right now.
  • Sill was hitting everything that moved out there. Gonna be a tough choice for that 12th defender.
  • Horqvist continues to impress. It's so fantastic seeing a player who instinctively goes to the front of the net and battles like crazy.
  • Downie wasn't amazing, but not bad either, just what I expected.
  • Spaling was unnoticable, but that's actually a good thing. He's never been a guy you notice I dont' believe. If he just plays solid two way hockey and gets points/goals here and there his mission is accomplished.
  • Sundqvist looked good even without the goal, still may need some development time for consistency though.
  • Megna wasn't as speedy as year's past and really wasn't making much happen.
  • As previously stated, you can tell Kapenan has brilliance inside of him, but he needs to develop. I wish he would go to Wilkes Barre instead of back to the Finnish elite league. He needs to get used the smaller rink and tighter game-style. Reminds me of an early-Bennett.

Other notes:
  • Looks like Despres is sticking it to DB with two assists when he's finally allowed to carry the puck.
  • OMG I'm pretty sure I saw a center drive last night...never thought I'd see the day someone drove hard to the net again on this team.
  • Excited to see the whole d-core work as a part of this new puck-moving system!

Nice summary. I expect the coaching change will really benefit the younger players. It will also benefit me, as I will no longer have to endure Disco Dan never taking advantage of the last line change at home.

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013
bylsmaboobs.gif

if the players listened to db on his plays, we would have been fine :cry::shakehead

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
bylsmaboobs.gif

if the players listened to db on his plays, we would have been fine :cry::shakehead

Dan is defining first where to stand when a shot from the point is taken, and secondly where to check the opposing team into Fleury after the puck is in the net. What a tactician.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad