GDT: Preseason Game #3 | Minnesota at Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Johnston said only certain players are able to play their off wing or both wings. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's great having a coach that will actually answer questions

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
So uh, should I be worried about how the team views Despres?

5th-fewest minutes tonight

I think you should panic and send them something horrible in the mail. Do I want to know about Scuderi's minutes?

But he had a fight and his d partner got injured, so. I'm just going to assume Bort is dead.

This Maatta video from the Pens is hypnotizing. https://twitter.com/penguins/status/515317003121610752

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So aside from Despres and BB looking good...

Hornqvist - I'm not seeing the skating issues Pred fans kept talking about. He's looked like the anti-sloth and his ability to carry the puck and make plays has been a pleasant surprise so far.

Sundqvist - didn't notice him until the second when he turned it on. So positionally sound and I love how he cleans up his zone. His goal was all about knowing where to go and keeping his stick on the ice. The beautiful backhand feed to spring Comeau on the next shift was just as impressive.

Comeau - loved his work ethic and speed. His puck control and ability to protect it along the boards is going to be a welcome sight on the fourth line.

Martin - played like his spot was guaranteed.

Goc - crazy smart player and I'm stoked about seeing him and Comeau as a duo on the fourth line. The only thing that could **** up the potential magic there is Adams.

KK - You can see the small flashes of talent, but he clearly looks intimidated.

Downie - I'm not sure if I liked his game or hated it tonight. Some good, some bad.

Spalling - didn't notice him until OT when he and Comeau took over a shift with their speed. Was really fun to watch.

jhopspensfan

May 1, 2002
South of Pittsburgh
Visit site
Johnston said only certain players are able to play their off wing or both wings. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's great having a coach that will actually answer questions

It's not about answering questions. Its knowing HOW to answer questions. Johnston's a hockey coach. He's a teacher. He's not a cheerleader. I don't want a tyrant (see Boudreau), but someone that can give respect but also demand it. Just look at Beau Bennett's comments since the start of camp. Don't think for a second that numerous other players aren't thinking the same thing. This isn't a direct knock on Disco. He did an admirable job. But he couldn't take this team back to the promised land, as he continued to get outCOACHED in the playoffs. Just look at his playoff record. I am not saying Johnston is a god. I am just saying he understands players, X's and O's etc. Stay tuned.

penguins2946*

@penguins: Bennett on Sutter: “He’s an easy guy to play with. He’s always in the right spot… He’s very positive on the bench. He’s always talking."

Good to hear

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'll agree on not really liking Downie's game either. When he's effective it's because he's involved. He's not a guy who can just skate his routes and call it a day. Also looks a little slow.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Pretty sure RD

For as long as this is the case, I'll give him a pass on "poor play". The drop off in his game is so obvious and so substantial from LD to RD that I cannot understand why the coaches & scouts cannot see this, and keep putting him out there on that side. Let Harrington, or even Maatta or Pouliot, play that side if necessary. Keep Dumo on LD!!

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Does anybody know how to contact Steve Kolby? I used to know him pretty well when he was in Washington. He produced the Rick Doc Walker show and they used to have me in as an in studio guest.... I was known as the Pittsburgh Kid!!

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It's not about answering questions. Its knowing HOW to answer questions. Johnston's a hockey coach. He's a teacher. He's not a cheerleader. I don't want a tyrant (see Boudreau), but someone that can give respect but also demand it. Just look at Beau Bennett's comments since the start of camp. Don't think for a second that numerous other players aren't thinking the same thing. This isn't a direct knock on Disco. He did an admirable job. But he couldn't take this team back to the promised land, as he continued to get outCOACHED in the playoffs. Just look at his playoff record. I am not saying Johnston is a god. I am just saying he understands players, X's and O's etc. Stay tuned.

I'd recommend finding 58s interview with Madden today. He sounds like a guy that got out of an abusive relationship and immediately met his true love. Speaks in glowing terms about this coaching staff and, uh, Ehrhoff.

Penguinzilla*

Does anybody know how to contact Steve Kolby? I used to know him pretty well when he was in Washington. He produced the Rick Doc Walker show and they used to have me in as an in studio guest.... I was known as the Pittsburgh Kid!!

Yeah, just give him a call on his cell

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I was watching Sundqvist all game but I had to stop before his goal. He had a REALLY strong game overall, every shift he was making something happen, and I had a feeling like he might get one. He's really impressing honestly, I don't know if anyone else would, but I'd put him in with Carcillo and Megna. He's certainly outplaying Megna and Carcillo is injured. And Adams, let's not mention him.

penguins2946*

I was watching Sundqvist all game but I had to stop before his goal. He had a REALLY strong game overall, every shift he was making something happen, and I had a feeling like he might get one. He's really impressing honestly, I don't know if anyone else would, but I'd put him in with Carcillo and Megna. He's certainly outplaying Megna and Carcillo is injured. And Adams, let's not mention him.

You want to make the line Carcillo-Sundqvist-Megna? What happened to Goc and Comeau?

Penguinzilla*

My great thoughts, other than the obvious like Sutter/Bennett:

- Sundqvist - Wow, he looked good. He seems very determined to stand out.
- I wasn't overly impressed by any of the D prospects. I think Harrington played the best but he seems too structured, like he has no creativity. He reminds me of Oprik :cry: I do like him, but he needs to loosen up a bit. Depres... man... love his talent but he just seems lost 1/2 the time, kinda like Letang lol
- KK - if he's strong enough he should stay. He's got NHL skill

Fordy

May 28, 2008
You want to make the line Carcillo-Sundqvist-Megna? What happened to Goc and Comeau?

i want sundqvist to move to wing, like he does sometimes in europe. and i was considering comeau the 11th forward. i'm talking about number 12

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
So aside from Despres and BB looking good...

Hornqvist - I'm not seeing the skating issues Pred fans kept talking about. He's looked like the anti-sloth and his ability to carry the puck and make plays has been a pleasant surprise so far.

Sundqvist - didn't notice him until the second when he turned it on. So positionally sound and I love how he cleans up his zone. His goal was all about knowing where to go and keeping his stick on the ice. The beautiful backhand feed to spring Comeau on the next shift was just as impressive.

Comeau - loved his work ethic and speed. His puck control and ability to protect it along the boards is going to be a welcome sight on the fourth line.

Martin - played like his spot was guaranteed.

Goc - crazy smart player and I'm stoked about seeing him and Comeau as a duo on the fourth line. The only thing that could **** up the potential magic there is Adams.

KK - You can see the small flashes of talent, but he clearly looks intimidated.

Downie - I'm not sure if I liked his game or hated it tonight. Some good, some bad.

Spalling - didn't notice him until OT when he and Comeau took over a shift with their speed. Was really fun to watch.

Agreed on Hornqvist. Preds fans made it sound like he had hands of stone and couldn't beat Adams in a sprint. His positioning and stickwork are phenomenal. He's insanely good at keeping plays alive. And that's not even his best talent, around the net.

Comeau looked pretty dangerous. Certainly a massive upgrade over Gladams.

Downie looks like he's struggling a bit getting his timing back. Hopefully he gets it going closer to the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad