GDT: Preseason game #3: Devils @ Islanders

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Did you watch the game? The Islanders Broadcast made it known at least 5 times the Islanders won regardless of the outcome :laugh:

thought the one guy was never going to shut up about that net getting dislodged either

the start aside it was at least a more competitive/entertaining game at times tonight vs. the 1st two games

and against a good portion of the roster that blanked us on the season last year

can we trade deb placey for shannon hogan? she at least sounds interested and knowledgeable about what's going on, deb's notes consist of "march 17th vs. wild...remember to use that 'YOU don't need to wear green' joke on andy again...that was a good one!"

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Kennedy has brought some speed, toughness, and possession. Yes he needs to be more responsible but so far he has 1 goal and 2 assists in 2 games...just saying.

I'd take his possession play over Gios every single time.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I'm really starting to think this myself. Though a lot of people are really sensitive and will say ''You don't know what you're talking about and he's still young!'' but I don't think he's that good. The 52 goal season or whatever it was in Juniors really overrated him. He wasn't as good as he was that season. I don't even think the rest of his junior career was that impressive.

He did have a very good first pro season in Albany. He looked very promising and impressive in his first ever call up in 13-14, I will say that much. He's regressed a whole lot though. He never really impressed me as far as his shot goes, like he was praised for. At least not at the NHL level, he had some nice AHL snipes and goals for sure. He was very good in his first NHL call up, not so much at goal scoring. Good playmaker and showed flashes.

Bouchers shot rate improved in the ahl in 14-15. He just didn't have any puck luck.

Hard to call a player overrated when they score 60 goals in the ohl at 19 then score at a 30 goal pace in the ahl at 20.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Another bland game by NJD.

I don't think they've ever lost every single preseason game, but on track.

I thought they played well enough to win honestly.

1) Schneids should never let up that first goal
2) With our 4-5 PP's we should have scored one

If we did either of these we would have won as we won the 3v3.

Merrill was fantastic. Easily the best player on the ice. Severson was good - great. Same with Palmeiri and Henrique. I kept on mixing 20 with Tootoo, but noticed Stemp a lot. He played really well too. Helgeson proved to be worth more than Hrabarenka. Could we put that argument to bed?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bouchers shot rate improved in the ahl in 14-15. He just didn't have any puck luck.

Hard to call a player overrated when they score 60 goals in the ohl at 19 then score at a 30 goal pace in the ahl at 20.

I'm just saying that he's probably not the superstar he was hyped to be after that OHL season.

Needs another season in the AHL, I think Shero believes that too.

And even if he was lighting it up in the AHL, that don't mean he's gonna be a great NHL player. Bobby Butler is still lighting it up in the A. Or at least he was as of last season, he appears to have signed overseas now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kennedy has brought some speed, toughness, and possession. Yes he needs to be more responsible but so far he has 1 goal and 2 assists in 2 games...just saying.

I think we'd all take him over Gio every single time.

It's obvious that if he's signed, it won't be for the 4th line.

And was Blackwood dressed as backup for this game? He was supposed to have been, not sure if that ended up happening.

He was part of the first cuts.

kiwidevil

Send everyone that is eligible back to juniors please. I don't want anybody that has a sliver on potential to be rushed because our new coach wants to try and impress in his first year. Over ripen them and have them ready for a few years away.

Just sign any NHL/AHL plugs to fill in this year and beyond.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Send everyone that is eligible back to juniors please. I don't want anybody that has a sliver on potential to be rushed because our new coach wants to try and impress in his first year. Over ripen them and have them ready for a few years away.

Quenneville needs to stay until the end of preseason at the minimum.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014

Yeah he had a mixed bag but the positives appeared to outweigh the negatives

When I spoke earlier about making the s**t list I should have added "...with Hynes"

I was thinking each penalty was another nail in the coffin where coach was concerned

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

What exactly has this coach done for you to believe he wants all these young guys around so he can try and impress in his first year?

All that having a bunch of younger players who aren't ready in the lineup will do is make this team as bad as it absolutely and possibly can be. And it should be even more embarrassing on the coach, as this team will finish with an embarrassingly awful record if that were the case. Much worse than most already believe it will be.

If we were just playing young players to play young players, no way Shero goes out and signs Tlusty. Now there are some people here who think we need to play young guys just to play them, I'm not one of them and I don't think the coach is. While we can't be sure about if that's how Hynes feels yet, it's blatantly obvious that the man in charge does not feel this way. Or else he wouldn't be signing Tlusty or handing out PTO's to players like Stempniak and Kennedy. And these aren't Mike Komisarek or Ruslan Fedotenko PTO's, where their agents asked if they could come to camp with us.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Kennedy is making it harder on himself. I agree he has the right hustle to fight for a bottom 6 spot, but the bad penalties he is taking have to be hurting his cause.

Especially with Hynes who seems like a real stickler for details. Just seems bad penalties would just send him into a rage.

Also I don't think they looked bland at all. Team is showing improvements as far as the system goes and you can see stretches where this could work and the team can be better.

Still lots of growing pains to go and having AHL plugs slowing things down doesn't help, but there is promise. They definitely get the puck moving more and moving faster. Some of the movement on the PP was great.

Right now I REALLY want to see something closer to a full NHL squad go.

Also I'm excited for our top 4. Think Merrill looks great. Severson looks good and will get better.

Then from the other game. Greene is Greene and Lars looked like just an absolute stud.

The defense of our dreams seems to be getting closer and closer.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kennedy is making it harder on himself. I agree he has the right hustle to fight for a bottom 6 spot, but the bad penalties he is taking have to be hurting his cause.

Especially with Hynes who seems like a real stickler for details. Just seems bad penalties would just send him into a rage.

Also I don't think they looked bland at all. Team is showing improvements as far as the system goes and you can see stretches where this could work and the team can be better.

Still lots of growing pains to go and having AHL plugs slowing things down doesn't help, but there is promise. They definitely get the puck moving more and moving faster. Some of the movement on the PP was great.

Right now I REALLY want to see something closer to a full NHL squad go.

Also I'm excited for our top 4. Think Merrill looks great. Severson looks good and will get better.

Then from the other game. Greene is Greene and Lars looked like just an absolute stud.

The defense of our dreams seems to be getting closer and closer.
I completely agree on wanting to see something closer to the opening night roster.

Hopefully by Saturday's game, we can see that. There'll probably still be a couple jabroni's that shouldn't be in on Friday. Maybe even Saturday too. Last two games next week will probably be close to the NHL opening night lineup.

This team probably looks worse than what it probably is (not saying it's good at all) because we have a lot of junk scattered around the lineup. Junk that won't be around come October 8th (or whenever opening night is) or even as soon as a couple days from now.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
TG keeps making a big deal about one 5v5 goal so far in 3 preseason games, but c'mon dude, look at the roster. The Devils have no choice but to be a "score by committee" team this year, and they'll have the depth to possibly do that.

But I don't get how you can see two or three lines worth of Leblond, Pelley, Kujawinski, and Tootoo on the ice every game and expect the team to look good offensively, let alone while learning a new system.

Right now, I'm just glad to see Hynes trying all sorts of combos and getting a feel for who's capable of what.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Couldn't watch the 3rd period and 3on3 OT. At least we won it on the OT.

Don't get the Goulet release, he looked better than any prospect out there not named Zacha or Quenneville. Definitively better than grinders like Chatham and Baddock to name a few.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I don't think Merrill-Severson were great last night.

Too many lobbed passes back and forth in the D zone.

Make a crisp pass and skate it out of the zone with the jets turned on.

We can't be a team that struggles to clear our zone this season.

Was the camera perched from the roof last night?
Prob on purpose as not to show the empty lower level seats.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
If we give Quenneville and Zacha 9 games at the start of the season, which two veteran forwards can we pass through waivers comfortably for the opening roster to start the year in AHL.

I don't want to demote Kalinin. It seems pointless to risk losing him to waivers (unless he is exempt).

I am thinking Gionta is probably one. Stempniak (if we sign him) is too good for AHL and I think he would be claimed by another team.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I don't think Merrill-Severson were great last night.

Too many lobbed passes back and forth in the D zone.

Make a crisp pass and skate it out of the zone with the jets turned on.

We can't be a team that struggles to clear our zone this season.

Was the camera perched from the roof last night?
Prob on purpose as not to show the empty lower level seats.

I think that's just how it is. That plays is 100% not built for hockey.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
If we give Quenneville and Zacha 9 games at the start of the season, which two veteran forwards can we pass through waivers comfortably for the opening roster to start the year in AHL.

I don't want to demote Kalinin. It seems pointless to risk losing him to waivers (unless he is exempt).

I am thinking Gionta is probably one. Stempniak (if we sign him) is too good for AHL and I think he would be claimed by another team.

Kalinin's in the first year of his ELC and should be waiver-exempt.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Are you counting Elias in the lineup? They can put him on IR until his knees get better. That's one veteran.

Stempniak and Kennedy would already have been signed by another team if they wanted them. But there is no reason to sign them if we have no room. We could just delay signing them til we give the kids a look.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
TG keeps making a big deal about one 5v5 goal so far in 3 preseason games, but c'mon dude, look at the roster. The Devils have no choice but to be a "score by committee" team this year, and they'll have the depth to possibly do that.

But I don't get how you can see two or three lines worth of Leblond, Pelley, Kujawinski, and Tootoo on the ice every game and expect the team to look good offensively, let alone while learning a new system.

Right now, I'm just glad to see Hynes trying all sorts of combos and getting a feel for who's capable of what.

TG makes a big deal about it because we can't do it. What does "score by committee" mean? We get our one goal/game from a different guy each night? I mean this but unfortunately we are only a couple of forwards away from having expansion level talent at the forward positions. It's that bad. Like Tyler Kennedy vs. Gionta is going to make any difference when we still have so little top end talent.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
did anyone go to the Q&A with Shero? word on the street was that Howl is going to become our goal song (someone i know said she talked to a rep?)

don't quote me on that

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
TG makes a big deal about it because we can't do it. What does "score by committee" mean? We get our one goal/game from a different guy each night? I mean this but unfortunately we are only a couple of forwards away from having expansion level talent at the forward positions. It's that bad. Like Tyler Kennedy vs. Gionta is going to make any difference when we still have so little top end talent.

hopefully its just lack of understanding of the systems hynes have in place. a lot of the guys look like a hot mess. i mean, most teams stick to their systems with the same coach, but we did a complete overhaul, and it's a lot of younger guys too. you could argue PDB and the sharks are new, yet they're doing fine, but they also have a lot more skill than we do. hopefully the system makes us effective once they understand it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad