Letourneau-Leblond - O'Brien - Pietila

Merrill - Severson
Gelinas - Mozik
Helgeson - Gragnani
(Jacobs?)

Schneider
Blackwood

Islanders

Ryan Strome, Kyle Okposo, James Wright, Anders Lee, Brock Nelson, Justin Vaive, Frans Nielsen, Ross Johnston, Michael Dal Colle, Anthony Beauvillier, Kirill Petrov, John Tavares.

Travis Hamonic, Ryan Pulock, Kevin Czuczman, Brian Strait, Scott Mayfield, Calvin de Haan.

Kevin Poulin, Christopher Gibson.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, missed rags game so, is this Blackwood's first game?

excited to see him give it a go.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Too much pl3. Way too much.
Just having PL3 sniff the course at the alumni golf event is way too much of him.
Where's Goulet? I prefer him than PL3 or Stempniak
What's wrong with Stempniak? I think he's been good. Mr Piggy might be able to fool these guys into thinking he's better after a strong preseason showing. Then he'll disappear until Thanksgiving or maybe even Christmas.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Nothing wrong with Stempniak but just think he'd be more valuable to a contending team than a rebuilding team

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Goulet has been one of the most impressive guys in camp I think. I hope he gets another opportunity. I'd also like to see more Quenneville.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Nothing wrong with Stempniak but just think he'd be more valuable to a contending team than a rebuilding team
Which is why he would be great for us. He can do well here, get some good playing time and showcase his talents, then we toss him to a contender for a 3rd and get an asset out of it. If by some hockey God miracle we make the playoffs, then he's a good keep.

Win win.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Just having PL3 sniff the course at the alumni golf event is way too much of him.

What's wrong with Stempniak? I think he's been good. Mr Piggy might be able to fool these guys into thinking he's better after a strong preseason showing. Then he'll disappear until Thanksgiving or maybe even Christmas.

Nothing wrong with him, but we all know what he is. A solid middle forward. I'd like to see more of Goulet cause his upside could be a good top 6 winger. I hope we sign him to an ELC.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Oh yeah. That argument people had on this message board for months. Pretty clear how NHL execs and scouts saw that one.

I don't think Barzal is playing but he and Anthony Beauvillier were two forwards I wanted us to draft and NYi got both of them.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i think size really did play a factor for barzal for his drop. but i still think he has a lot of skill and we, and a ton of teams, might regret passing on him

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
i think size really did play a factor for barzal for his drop. but i still think he has a lot of skill and we, and a ton of teams, might regret passing on him

6'0 is not small. There must be another reason for his fall. For example, he's bigger than Marner and same size as DeBrusk.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Oh yeah. That argument people had on this message board for months. Pretty clear how NHL execs and scouts saw that one.

There were murmurs after the draft that Barzal didn't interview well and came off a little cocky. But looking at the teams between us and the Islanders at #16:

We'll see how it goes, sometimes it's just a perfect storm for a guy to drop (ie, Parise in 2003). When Anaheim got Cam Fowler in 2010 at #12, he was the #3 guy on their draft board. Hypothetically you could have a had a Michalek/Parise debate on the San Jose board in 2003. It would seem premature to say Michalek was the superior pick because he ended up going #6 and Parise dropped to #17.

Just looking at the teams between us and the Islanders:

7. Philadelphia - Maybe they figured they were set down the middle with Giroux-Couturier and preferred D/wing.

8. Columbus - They had drafted a ton of forwards recently, so it seemed likely that they would opt for defense.

9. San Jose - Thought they'd go Barzal, but went for a winger who might debut earlier. Also the same braintrust that went Setoguchi over Kopitar in 2005 and Bernier over Parise/Getzlaf in 2003. They've made their share of solid picks but have had some colossal misses as well.

10. Colorado - Duchene/MacKinnon set down the middle (albeit MacKinnon is slated for wing currently). Made sense for them to look for D/wing.

11. Florida - Barkov/Bjugstad down the middle. Crouse seemed a good fit as a bruising winger.

12. Dallas - Guryanov was a wild card. His stock rocketed off his U18 performance.

13-15. Boston - We'll see in a few years if Boston dropped the ball badly here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad