Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 2 = win

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
It's just so refreshing to hear our head coach recognize the problem and call the "veteran" players out! :thumbu:
Bones knows because he likely game planned against it last year. He knew if he sent fresh horses over the boards about 30 seconds after 55 & 26 came on they would stay out for a minute or more and he could take advantage of it. Just speculating but it would not surprise me if coaches knew this.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Bones knows because he likely game planned against it last year. He knew if he sent fresh horses over the boards about 30 seconds after 55 & 26 came on they would stay out for a minute or more and he could take advantage of it. Just speculating but it would not surprise me if coaches knew this.
Nail on the head here. Nice to get stats to back this up?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I'd want a guy who can take the hits on the forecheck and bang in the corners on each of those lines. Sure Ehlers probably can't do that but do you but do you want your top skill players to face the injury risks that come along with that? Plus there is only one puck and when you stack skill players together it cuts down on puck touches for all of them, and there are studies that show there is diminishing returns for stacking top players.
Totally agree with this. I like pairing two forwards together. For instance Perfetti and Connor would be a great pair. Perfetti can set up Connor all night long. Then you add somebody that can go into the corners who still has some talent and can finish. Maybe a guy like Barron.
That allows the team to run three very good lines and the top players get more touches plus some help in the corners.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Or get a ‘coaster of the game’ judged by the fans

Sounds like a promo for a local bar. Free drink coasters.

Royal Albert still around?
These will be on sale at the next Jets home game...

coasters.jpg

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Totally agree with this. I like pairing two forwards together. For instance Perfetti and Connor would be a great pair. Perfetti can set up Connor all night long. Then you add somebody that can go into the corners who still has some talent and can finish. Maybe a guy like Barron.
That allows the team to run three very good lines and the top players get more touches plus some help in the corners.
You don't really even need them to be a finisher. Zach Hyman is the farthest thing from a finisher and look how well he has done in that role. He gets points by winning races and puck battles, gives the puck to the skilled guys then goes and bangs away wildly at the puck near the net. You can also look at Anisimov in his better years with Chicago. All he had to do playing with Kane and Panarin was to be a defensive presence and the skill around him turned him into a 45 point player instead of a 35 point player.

That said Torgersson seems to have every skill needed to be perfect in that role, the size and speed to get in on the forecheck AND a scoring touch near they net. I don't want to see him on the Jets this year, he's better off in the AHL for now but if his game continues to develop he could be a really valuable player as soon as next year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You don't really even need them to be a finisher. Zach Hyman is the farthest thing from a finisher and look how well he has done in that role. He gets points by winning races and puck battles, gives the puck to the skilled guys then goes and bangs away wildly at the puck near the net. You can also look at Anisimov in his better years with Chicago. All he had to do playing with Kane and Panarin was to be a defensive presence and the skill around him turned him into a 45 point player instead of a 35 point player.

That said Torgersson seems to have every skill needed to be perfect in that role, the size and speed to get in on the forecheck AND a scoring touch near they net. I don't want to see him on the Jets this year, he's better off in the AHL for now but if his game continues to develop he could be a really valuable player as soon as next year.

Beat me to the punch. I was going to say Torgoson fits that type of role if he develops well. Also think he needs seasoning to gain consistency, too many games I've seen where he is invisible and a non factor.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
For all we know he dis try privately first. Wonder if this was brought up between periods and there was no corrective behavior. Also wonder what if anything was don't previously on this by the past regimes. That could have played a role in Bowness quickly going to the media.

Yup, clearly there are times when players need to take an extended shift if they are trailing late or get stuck out but the norm needs to be quick and hard shifts.

To be clear I want the minutes problem fixed and I think I totally align on that part with everyone who has replied to my comment. Not sure what the media has to do with that though. Maybe Rick just has a very different approach which I am fine with I am just trying to get a read.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
To be clear I want the minutes problem fixed and I think I totally align on that part with everyone who has replied to my comment. Not sure what the media has to do with that though. Maybe Rick just has a very different approach which I am fine with I am just trying to get a read.

I was just speculating that maybe he went to the media with it because what he was saying in private wasn't working. Just speculating. He could also juat be a straight shooter on all topics and this is what we get on a whole host of different issues.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was just speculating that maybe he went to the media with it because what he was saying in private wasn't working. Just speculating. He could also juat be a straight shooter on all topics and this is what we get on a whole host of different issues.

Yea that might be the case where he just communicates a bit more openly with the media. Maybe I have spent to long watching PMo only bully the weak.

Reactions: surixon

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Yea that might be the case where he just communicates a bit more openly with the media. Maybe I have spent to long watching PMo only bully the weak.
This is my take. Bowness seems like an honest, down to earth guy. If he's expected to talk to the media, he's going to tell you what he sees without beating around the bush. I don't think his comments were calculated to call anyone out in the media.

You'll know it's calculated when he starts naming names.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Agree strongly with this post. You can't have all your snipers on one line, as it makes no sense. To have your most 3 dangerous goal scorers, all on the 1st line, and really no snipers on the 2nd line, it's not the way to go. Perfetti needs a sniper who can finish and score, because he's a setup man, and needs either Ehlers or Connor on that line. I think this will happen, or hope that it does?

This would mean if Ehlers or Connor is sent to the 2nd line, that means either Wheeler, or Dubois moves up to the first line. This would give us a balanced attack. I think the answer would be Wheeler up to the 1st line, as you'd want to protect Cole with a big tough forward like PLD. A lot of people may not like to see Wheeler back up on the 1st line, but this does make a lot of sense. Either Wheeler or Dubois moves up, and Connor, or Ehlers moves down to the 2nd line. Might be better to have Connor there, so Cole can set him up. That would leave you with Scheif and Ehlers on the 1st line, which is a lot of scoring power as well.
Agreed on the need for more permutations of snipers with set-up guys..
Spread the talent.
Here’s to your next assistant coaching offer at True North..Keep these ideas coming..

Reactions: GNP

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
i don't doubt he leaned on the pavelski/hintz/robertson line a lot when down in games. that was one of the top offensive lines in the league, & evidently one of the best on dallas. when down in games, do you think they're more likely to score even with extended shifts vs faksa, rafl, glendening, radulov, etc. 5 min shifts, cmon how many times did he do this with them? i would not be surprised if they were double shifted given the lack of scoring in the bottom-6.

i think he could have addressed this privately for sure. so perhaps a bit of a PR stunt, or publicly setting the tone on the expectation/standard. it's a pre-season game, however, it seems like the goal/expectation/standard was not met by the vets. the vets fwds on this team did often did what they want under the previous coaching regime. so i think bowness doing this early (even just merely a pre-season game) earned a bit of good-will from jets fans.
Ya, could have been done privately, but I like him publicly stating it.
Sounds like he has already stressed short shifts privately to the team as something mandatory and needed to be changed from last season.
When some vets ignore it, it’s time to put the pressure on by publicly stating it

Reactions: AlaskaJet

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ya, could have been done privately, but I like him publicly stating it.
Sounds like he has already stressed short shifts privately to the team as something mandatory and needed to be changed from last season.
When some vets ignore it, it’s time to put the pressure on by publicly stating it
im interpreting this as the players heard it first. not sure how the response sounds

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know it’s only preseason and you can’t read too much into these games. But what we saw from Scheifele is a continuation of a disturbing trend.
Scheifele was a passenger on that line last night.
Ehlers is a great play driver. Connor has progressed a long way and is now creating and driving plays as well.
Scheifele once was a play driver himself. Not any more.
He seems to float around a lot, waiting for the puck to come to him or for his line mates to feed him the puck.
I’m hoping that will change under Bowness, because if it doesn’t, Scheifele may be out of Winnipeg sooner rather than later.
He has it in him, no question. But where has it gone?

Pre . season . game

Reactions: surixon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad