Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #2 - Toronto at Ottawa, Sept 18th -- 19:30 TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Why are they talking about spezza and if he doesn’t fit in he can leave? Thought we only had one or two pre season games??
I. Because of the potential competition for 4th line spots. He doesn't want to guarantee anyone fighting for a spot 1 game in.
II. Spezza is also fairly new to 4th line C and PK duties, he said he'll do what the coaching staff wants of him which is being a professional but he might not be interested in doing it all year. He understands he has a role on this team but is he willing to do what it takes?

We'll find out.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
His hands are so damn good I doubt it affects him much. After I saw him grab a very hard head high slapper on the PP on the blue line from the goal line in a Marlie playoff game last year with his weaker hand, transition his stick, grab his stick again, use his foot to move puck to his stick for an amazing pass for a PP goal by Bracco all with a guy right on him pressuring him and he did it without looking like he was even trying. I don't think I have ever seen ANYONE EVER before do that in watching 35+ years of pro hockey. The arena let out a gasp. All of you there know exactly what I am talking about.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If they think he could play the right they need to get him playing there with the Marlies

Doing it against the better competition with Harpur as a partner is really making the kids life tough

I think he could be good enough for the 3rd pair LD slot now so play him there and get a look at the kid

Give the vet the toughest job and ease the kid into it, if he's going to be the primary puck mover on his pair have him on his strong side when he's doing it

the 3rd pairing LHD is ok, we need the RHD at the 3rd pairing, Sandin is getting a chance to steal it, no biggie

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
They are not going to play Sandin on right for the Marlies this year. The organization has Schmaltz, Holl, Liljegren, Hollowell, Duszak all on the right, with at most one of those making the Leafs this year and the other 4 being sent to the Marlies.

In the preseason out of the 8 D competing for the bottom pairing spots the Leafs needed to move a D to the right. They had a choice between Harpur, Marincin, Gravel, Kivihalme and Sandin. From Babcock's normal philosophy of keeping the stronger puck-mover on their strong side, Sandin would have been the least likely to go. This is a different philosophy being used here. People can question what that is and why. I have my own ideas.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They are not going to play Sandin on right for the Marlies this year. The organization has Schmaltz, Holl, Liljegren, Hollowell, Duszak all on the right, with at most one of those making the Leafs this year and the other 4 being sent to the Marlies.

In the preseason out of the 8 D competing for the bottom pairing spots the Leafs needed to move a D to the right. They had a choice between Harpur, Marincin, Gravel, Kivihalme and Sandin. From Babcock's normal philosophy of keeping the stronger puck-mover on their strong side, Sandin would have been the least likely to go. This is a different philosophy being used here. People can question what that is and why. I have my own ideas.
I bet it is because he is almost equally as strong with both hands. I think I heard he writes right and throws right but shoots left at least that's what I heard from hockey friends.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Many crapping on Ceci before he has played one game. Not me. One year of Ceci is the cost to rid ourselves of the Zaitsev contract. No matter how much he sucks, it was a win for the Leafs.
He's better then Dermott.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Many crapping on Ceci before he has played one game. Not me. One year of Ceci is the cost to rid ourselves of the Zaitsev contract. No matter how much he sucks, it was a win for the Leafs.
Oh yea 100% it was a win for the Leafs lol, but I think it could have been a bigger win had we somehow not signed him lol. But like I said before, I’m gonna try and put my prejudices against him aside and look at him fresh.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Interested to see if Harpur locks himself into that 3rd pairing left side tonight. A strong showing would go a long way. With NHL experience and his frame, I'm sure he already has an inside track in Babcock's eyes. Schmaltz I thought looked good last night, and Sandin and Liljegren definitely have the chance to grab a role here. However I think when all is said and done (healthy), the third pairing ends up either Harpur-Dermott or Dermott-Schmaltz

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Oh yea 100% it was a win for the Leafs lol, but I think it could have been a bigger win had we somehow not signed him lol. But like I said before, I’m gonna try and put my prejudices against him aside and look at him fresh.
Once Ceci was traded to the Leafs, he had three options: accept the qualifying offer, elect arbitration or negotiate a new deal.

There was no reason for him to elect arbitration and risk the Leafs walking away. There was no reason to just accept the qualifying offer unless he thought the Leafs were going to elect arbitration, which they had no reason to do.

That left negotiating a new contract as the only real option for him.

There is no reason to think he’d have received less than $4.5 this year in arbitration, so there was no point in the Leafs electing arbitration to get a lower AAV. The Leafs would also have been risking Ceci choosing a two-year deal, as the party that does not elect the arbitration chooses the term.

If the Leafs had elected arbitration, Ceci would have gotten at least $4.4 million just based on the rising salary cap. But in addition to the cap going up, his stats rose too. His points per game rose from 0.23 to 0.35 year-over-year and his TOI in all situations has been 23:12, 23:20 and 22:33 over the last three years, which is second only to Thomas Chabot.

The only reason for Ceci to elect arbitration and risk having no contract at the end of it is if the idea of playing on the Leafs was so bad, he’d rather be on whichever team loses someone to injury in training camp on a low-money deal.

Hope that helps you.

Link: Why did the Leafs pick Cody Ceci over Jake Gardiner?

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
i think people are forgetting how good ceci was a couple years removed. before the tire fire tore through the senators. ceci was 2nd behind karlsson for toi for both 2016-12018 he was a big defender in what was Ottawa's cinderella story

with how low expectations are for him I think he may just make a lot of this fan base eat a lot of crow if he is used properly in a shutdown mold

Reactions: kb and therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
He did play on the right side a bit on the Marlies ...
I wouldn't bother chum, you'd be wasting your time

As far as Harpur and Ceci go, I've seen them both quite a bit. Neither one of them is going to make anyone forget Brian Leetch, but neither one of them deserve the shot's they're getting on these boards

Harpur skates and thinks the game fairly well and will be a good stay at home shutdown guy in the 3rd pairing, is there anymore upside, not offensively, but for a guy who only has 103 NHL games under his belt he has lot's of room to grow

Ceci was drafted as an offensive 2nd pair guy and for some reason the coaching staff in Ottawa tried making him the stay at home for Karlsson, it didn't work out obviously. When he was paired with Phaneuf he started looking like a pretty good 2nd pairing guy, which is what he really is. After Phaneuf was gone Ottawa kept giving him a revolving slate of partner's, some who were up to the job of 2nd pairing and most who were not. Those partners dragged Ceci down with way too much of the load and hence some pretty ugly numbers.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
the 3rd pairing LHD is ok, we need the RHD at the 3rd pairing, Sandin is getting a chance to steal it, no biggie

When Dermott gets back I'd agree with you but until then it's thin, I'm a huge fan of Kivihalme but think he's going to start in the AHL but other than him?

It's grim

I'd rather see him start on the left and see how he goes, if he wins the job and looks good (decent chance imo) once Dermott gets back he goes to the right and the kid gets easier and more familiar usage

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Could’ve just flipped him or let him walk if there were no takers. Sens fans hated this kid so much for a reason. We’re probably gonna find out why soon enough.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Interested to see if Harpur locks himself into that 3rd pairing left side tonight. A strong showing would go a long way. With NHL experience and his frame, I'm sure he already has an inside track in Babcock's eyes. Schmaltz I thought looked good last night, and Sandin and Liljegren definitely have the chance to grab a role here. However I think when all is said and done (healthy), the third pairing ends up either Harpur-Dermott or Dermott-Schmaltz

Babcock sat down Matt freaken Martin. This myth that hes infatuated with size above all else is entirely false.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
When Dermott gets back I'd agree with you but until then it's thin, I'm a huge fan of Kivihalme but think he's going to start in the AHL but other than him?

It's grim

I'd rather see him start on the left and see how he goes, if he wins the job and looks good (decent chance imo) once Dermott gets back he goes to the right and the kid gets easier and more familiar usage

They can be looking ahead to next season, we only have Rielly and Dermot locked up... It's worth keeping an eye on Sandin's usage on the Marlies, they may turn him into a RHD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad