Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #2 - Toronto at Ottawa, Sept 18th -- 19:30 TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I'm a bit surprised were trying it in an NHL pre-season game, the kids highly skilled so I think he can do it but it's going to be tough doing that with a very average partner

If you want to make the team you need to show what you are capable of. With Barrie maybe being too expensive next year, it wouldn't surprise me if the Leafs' are hoping to turn Sandin into a top-4 on the right side.

I'd cool my Jets on that one

What he said is well supported. It's what most scouts appear to believe. During the pre-camp skates Shilton was giving very strong praise to Sandin. The Athletic article from Monday on the battle for the 3rd pairing on the right side had them at Sandin, Schmaltz (very close), Holl (listed as hoping to nudge into that mix) and then Liljegren (to a lesser extent).

No shame in that. Despite what so many on here want to believe, Liljegren absolutely needs a full season in the AHL as the guy. Sandin might benefit from that as well, but he doesn't need it.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If you want to make the team you need to show what you are capable of. With Barrie maybe being too expensive next year, it wouldn't surprise me if the Leafs' are hoping to turn Sandin into a top-4 on the right side.

What he said is well supported. It's what most scouts appear to believe. During the pre-camp skates Shilton was giving very strong praise to Sandin. The Athletic article from Monday on the battle for the 3rd pairing on the right side had them at Sandin, Schmaltz (very close), Holl (listed as hoping to nudge into that mix) and then Liljegren (to a lesser extent).

No shame in that. Despite what so many on here want to believe, Liljegren absolutely needs a full season in the AHL as the guy. Sandin might benefit from that as well, but he doesn't need it.

Doing it at the NHL level after not using him on the right for the Marlies, then thinking he can play that role in the top 4 as early as next season seems optimistic

He wasn't the Marlies best D in the back end of last season, Liljegren was and he spent his entire season with the Marlies on the left

Maybe I'm wrong and they do this but to say it's bloody aggressive to think a teenager can play in the NHL on his backhand after not doing it at all last season seems unlikely unless he's world beating in the pre-season

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Tonight's defence offers a lot of intrigue for me. The young swedes out to win a job, Kivi trying to prove he can do it in NA, and Harpur trying to make a good first impression, plus our first look at Morgan-Ceci. Will also be interested to see how Mik and Kerfoot gel, maybe they could stick together on the 3rd line.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
"]
EEr17tqW4AILuOg

It's possible that Ennis, Brown, Zaitsev, Hainsey, and Carcone play tonight. Ha!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

As someone who watched Sandin regularly, Sandin needs the AHL a whole lot more than Liljegren right now... And that was watching him on his strong side. Liljegren could make the jump right now to the NHL, but he could stand to gain some offensive confidence in the AHL as well. Sandin needs work on his decision making, and should not be seriously considered for the NHL right now... Especially if the plan is to use him on his off-side.

jbell886

Sep 6, 2009
Is it just me or is this Ottawa team much much closer to their NHL roster compared to last night? 4-5 NHL D, and I guess around 9ish NHL forwards.

Makes sense as it’s in front of their home fans. Most teams do the same thing

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Interested to see how Petan does on what looks like the 3rd line tonight. IMO the opening night roster is shaping up to look like:

Johnsson Matts Nylander
Kap Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Kerfoot XXX
Moore Spezza XXX

Of course this could change but I think Babcock should try to get looks at multiple guys playing on those bottom two lines. For example, Gauthier, Timashov and Korshkov, the bubble guy standouts from last night, should have some reps with those lines as preseason goes on.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Is it just me or is this Ottawa team much much closer to their NHL roster compared to last night? 4-5 NHL D, and I guess around 9ish NHL forwards.

Yep. It's about half of their expected opening night roster (from what I know of their team). Here's the guys playing tonight, and where they project to be on the Sens this season:

Tkachuk - White - ___
Brown - ___ - ___
___ - Anisimov - Ryan
Ennis - ___ - ___

Chabot - Zaitsev
Hainsey - ___
Borowiecki - Jaros

Anderson

It's half their forwards, almost their entire D group, and their #1 goalie.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Well their roster yesterday was essentially their AHL team, and they beat us despite having a good chunk of our roster playing...

So we should either really hate our chances, or hope we can do the same to them. Hutch better have a good game because otherwise the Leafs should be in the market for a backup (i.e. Domingue or Forsberg).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Well their roster yesterday was essentially their AHL team, and they beat us despite having a good chunk of our roster playing...

So we should either really hate our chances, or hope we can do the same to them. Hutch better have a good game because otherwise the Leafs should be in the market for a backup (i.e. Domingue or Forsberg).

Domingue isn’t an option. Makes too much

Reactions: MyBudJT

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Based on my math, we can afford to go above Hutch’s salary of $700K to a whopping...... $750K.

We are limited to even who we can claim off of waivers.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Really interested to see Mikheyev, we've made a lot of assumptions about guys coming over before and it has turned out differently, hopefully he's as advertised and can slot into a third line role.

Also really fascinating to me, how all the reporters at camp are focusing on Sandin. I hardly hear Lil being brought up so far, but they keep asking if Sandin will crack the lineup. It's a bid odd, given how I perceived the opportunities coming into camp.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Based on my math, we can afford to go above Hutch’s salary of $700K to a whopping...... $750K.

We are limited to even who we can claim off of waivers.

Yes, and no. We can claim a lot of different people off waivers.... but assuming we want to stick to a 21 man roster when Hyman is back, we will have to make a trade if we claim a goaltender > 800K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad