GDT: Preseason Game 2 7pm 9/17 Bruins @Washington Capitals in Baltimore, MD

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I didn't see last night's game. I don't know how anyone looked. I was working.

I know Eriksson from seeing him for years in the West. He's not going to be the kind of guy who is going to throw the big hits. He THINKS the game extremely well. I have no issues with his compete level from his time in Dallas.

I do find it funny that no one can say he had a bad game though, without being labeled a hater and a spaz. For some, this may have been a FIRST IMPRESSION with Eriksson. Well, maybe it wasn't good.

I don't see any vitriol for those complaining that Svedberg should be the backup in Boston over Johnson based on one meaningless exhibition game.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

I didn't see last night's game. I don't know how anyone looked. I was working.

I know Eriksson from seeing him for years in the West. He's not going to be the kind of guy who is going to throw the big hits. He THINKS the game extremely well. I have no issues with his compete level from his time in Dallas.

I do find it funny that no one can say he had a bad game though, without being labeled a hater and a spaz. For some, this may have been a FIRST IMPRESSION with Eriksson. Well, maybe it wasn't good.

I don't see any vitriol for those complaining that Svedberg should be the backup in Boston over Johnson based on one meaningless exhibition game.

I'm not going to say anything about Eriksson until he has played a few game with Bergeron as his pivot. It is also very possible that the team will keep Bergy off the ice for most of the pre season games if not all of them (Bergy's place is assured no sense in risking injury-Eriksson's and Marchand's as well).

Personally I think for any of the rookies and newbies it is going to take about 10 games for them to find their comfort zone. I think this pre season is far more about the third line and back up goalie.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm so happy that you are only SLIGHTLY concerned (after one mediocre preseason game), and not yet ready to write off a guy that has 357 career points and has played over 500 NHL games. When does the real concern start, next week? :laugh:

If you can show optimism at a good preseason showing, why can't there be some pessimism as well? It doesn't mean it's a fair showing of anything, it's just something to spark discussion on a friggin' hockey forum.

I acknowledge that I don't know Eriksson very well because I don't watch Dallas Stars games all the time, and that's the same that goes for pretty much everyone else here. Like everyone else, I'm going off stats, word of mouth, and catching the odd Stars game where I wasn't intently focusing on the nuances of Eriksson's game because I didn't expect him to be traded in a blockbuster deal to the B's this Summer.

People here seem to be expecting the winger version of Bergeron and nothing less. I'm more of a skeptic where I have to see it happen in the Bruins very regimented system first. I'm hoping he does become that, I'm just tempering my expectations because Bergeron's don't exactly grow on trees.

By the way, I really liked what I saw from Svedberg. I could say he should hands down earn the back-up role over Johnson based on half a preseason game each, and no one would bat an eye. Oh, and Jared Knight had a pretty good game, so let's talk about him making the roster. I saw one of his 10 Providence games so I know what I'm talking about. Edit: lol didn't see Mr. Make-Believe basically just said the same thing.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Is it to early for Toronto papers to proclaim Dallas won the trade

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Eriksson has a job. I'm more concerned about the guys who don't have jobs yet. Seems like nick Johnson & svedberg want jobs. Who else? I haven't watched smith closely enough but some seem impressed. How did Caron look? Knight? Will they give spooner a shot if he deserves it or is he odd center out no matter what? That's what I'm focused on, not how an Allstar looked in 2 periods of a pre-season game in Baltimore

Knight led team in 'real' hits, in first period in offensive zone rubbed out Green hard and stripped him of the puck, took a suicide hit to get the puck out with the ultimate predatory hitter Ovechkin coming in the third period; had one exceptional chance 5 minutes in game, won his only face off attempt on power play, and although some question no OT he was in rotation but Kelly double shifted when Ovechkin did. No clue on why didn't shoot but I'm sure he pleased his bosses.

As for Eriksson all I can pass on is what I was told and its only coming from where it matters and he's been great and getting his work in and 4-5 games should be good. As the number one know it all on this site and a friend of Joes beyond this site I think he knows no worries on Loui and he is getting reps in and timing down. He is not Caron, Spooner, Fraser, Smith, Cunningham, and Knight and needs to skate his bag off. I realize a small amount of folks don't understand this and it doesn't make you a bad person.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Knight led team in 'real' hits, in first period in offensive zone rubbed out Green hard and stripped him of the puck, took a suicide hit to get the puck out with the ultimate predatory hitter Ovechkin coming in the third period; had one exceptional chance 5 minutes in game, won his only face off attempt on power play, and although some question no OT he was in rotation but Kelly double shifted when Ovechkin did. No clue on why didn't shoot but I'm sure he pleased his bosses.

As for Eriksson all I can pass on is what I was told and its only coming from where it matters and he's been great and getting his work in and 4-5 games should be good. As the number one know it all on this site and a friend of Joes beyond this site I think he knows no worries on Loui and he is getting reps in and timing down. He is not Caron, Spooner, Fraser, Smith, Cunningham, and Knight and needs to skate his bag off. I realize a small amount of folks don't understand this and it doesn't make you a bad person.

Thought I noticed Knight on the draw late in the game there on the PP. Looked solid but unspectacular much like the rest of the team aside from #23 and the tenders who looked terrific.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Is it to early for Toronto papers to proclaim Dallas won the trade

BOYgeOhCIAEycam.jpg:small

Seguin has already became a leader in Dallas...Kessel is smiling somewhere...and Loui didn't score in his first preseason game...that's a rap - Bruins lose.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Loui was playing in his first game with players he has never played with before and without his #1 centre in Bergeron, no big deal.

Svedberg looked good, stopping Ovi point blank a couple times and my man Koko was alright, he had a nice goal in the shootout.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
Of course Phil kessel is smiling somewhere, the western world had no shortage of pastry shops

Seriously, did anyone see the game between the Leafs and the Flyers? Because Kessel wasn't smiling at all. Seemed totally grumpy. Gave Schenn a vicious slash and then did the same twice to Holmstrom. Very unlike him and he's lucky to get away with nothing.

Edit : video of angry Kessel

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Get used to it. Highly doubtful they risk losing Soderberg by sending him through waivers.

As for what's impressive about him, he seems to be a serviceable/good PKer, can protect the puck well and has good offensive upside.

I watched bits and pieces of the first preseason game vs.Montreal(it is still too early for me)but the little I did see of Soderberg suggests to me that his offensive contributions will be minimal. He seems like a serviceable 3rd or 4th line player but nothing special.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I watched bits and pieces of the first preseason game vs.Montreal(it is still too early for me)but the little I did see of Soderberg suggests to me that his offensive contributions will be minimal. He seems like a serviceable 3rd or 4th line player but nothing special.

Yeah after all the hype surrounding him too lol. I knew he was probably going to be a disappointment. He still turn out to be good but if thats the case you'd think you would see bits and pieces of that by now. :cry:

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Of course it will be minimal if he gets to play with with Caron and Kelly who actually don't have any offensive skill. If he's given decent linemates and time to form some chemistry, we can re-evaluate.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
In all fairness, Bergy hits quite a bit more than Eriksson, I'd imagine. Just going off the eyeball test.

Eriksson seems more similar to Krejci than Bergy to me.

And for the 90 people that want to jump on this, this isn't meant as a bad thing.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
In all fairness, Bergy hits quite a bit more than Eriksson, I'd imagine. Just going off the eyeball test.

you could be right I have not seen enough of Eriksson to say agree or disagree to that.

Eriksson seems more similar to Krejci than Bergy to me.

And for the 90 people that want to jump on this, this isn't meant as a bad thing.

Hey if he is a Bergy/Krejci hybrid I am very very ok with that.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
you could be right I have not seen enough of Eriksson to say agree or disagree to that.

Hey if he is a Bergy/Krejci hybrid I am very very ok with that.

Put me on board has content with a Bergy/Krejci hybrid.

Krejci is actually pretty good defensively-he is just more of a positional guy than a make big hits guy. Bergy is the definition of a player who does all the little things-Eriksson has a reputation for being a good three zone player-so I still want to see him play several games with Bergeron.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
BOYgeOhCIAEycam.jpg:small

Seguin has already became a leader in Dallas...Kessel is smiling somewhere...and Loui didn't score in his first preseason game...that's a rap - Bruins lose.

did boston have a bake sale i didn't know about?
:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad