GDT: Preseason Game 2 7pm 9/17 Bruins @Washington Capitals in Baltimore, MD

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
So based on these two games, we have successfully concluded:

The Bruins are going to win the Stanley Cup (last night) and Erkisson is a bum (tonight).

God I hate the preseason more than the offseason.

I just....I don't even know what to say.

According to this GDT, Bobby Robins is the incarnate of the next great thing to bless the Bruins and Loui Eriksson is a bust.

This is by far the hardest I've laughed in a month.

This cracks me up. Is there a word for this? (other than ironic, and hilarious)

A few people say they were disappointed with Eriksson tonight, and apparently they are radically overreacting.

In reality, they were just some observations of tonight's game, and what is over-reactionary is followups such as these.

No, nobody is saying Eriksson is a bust, or Robins is the future of the franchise. You are saying that. Nobody is overreacting, either, except you.

(Well, and now, possibly me.) ;)

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
I haven't been able to watch either game, and I wasn't really torn up about it....

Someone told me that if I wanted a good laugh to come read the GDT, and yeah, I needed a good laugh.

I got it. Seguin for Eriksson will go down as the organization's death knell.

Never change, HF, never change.

Huh? Nobody is saying anything remotely suggestive of this except you. Quit overreacting.

MetalGodAOD*

Dallas fan chiming in. I heard you guys were disappointed in Loui tonight. Reading the past few thread, seemed people thought he looked lazy/disinterested. I didn't watch the game so that may be so, but keep in mind Loui is a very quiet player. He's not going to rock you with a big hit or make a beautiful play. He's solid, in the right places, and scores goals when you need them. He's maybe the most quiet guy on the ice until he scores. You don't realize half the great plays he makes over the course of a game.

Preseason is preseason. You'll love him, trust me.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Ugh... alright I want to clear something up about Eriksson.

First, my comment about him not getting the Neely message was a tongue in cheek comment and not meant to be taken seriously.

Honestly though, I didn't like what I saw from Eriksson tonight. It's nothing to freak out over because it's one ****ing preseason game, but I think what looked like a lack of effort on his part would be more of a red flag than say if Eriksson turned it over a couple times and it led to a goal or something. I really want this guy to fit into the Bruin mold. We've always seemed to have one or two players on the team that didn't seem to "fit in" in terms of style of play. There's been Kaberle and Corvo on the back-end recently, and then Kessel, Jagr and, to some degree, Seguin up front. I just don't want Eriksson to be the next guy who can excel elsewhere but can't fully blossom here because he doesn't really fit in with the team identity. We all hear about his great two-way play (and if you're GloryDaze you've apparently watched Eriksson 82 times a year already), but I want to see it firsthand in the Bruins system.

If we get the kind of player that we saw tonight as far as effort/style of play, I'm not happy. I expect him to be a lot better though so it's a non issue right now. I'm just voicing a slight concern that will probably amount to nothing on page 23 of a preseason game day thread; I'm not throwing the towel in on Eriksson and calling it quits on the Bruins.

Last edited:

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Huh? Nobody is saying anything remotely suggestive of this except you. Quit overreacting.

No, you're right.

Overreacting would be predicting that someone isn't buying into the Bruin philosophy of strong work ethic based on his reactions during a meeting as was seen on a polished television show.

Never mind that it's commonly known that Swedish folk and by extension the Swedish cluture is one based on humility, that part of proffering that is showing extreme deference to authority figures (i.e. bosses, NHL-legends-come-team-Presidents) with excessive thanks and by doing a large part of listening and not speaking during introduction. Frankly, that humility is also expressed as self-deprecation and doing quite a bit as to not attract attention to oneself during those interactions, even downplaying your own achievements.

Or, it's just bad body language that shows he's not buying into it. Yeah, go with that.

Yes, you're so right. Quit overreacting indeed.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
No, you're right.

Overreacting would be predicting that someone isn't buying into the Bruin philosophy of strong work ethic based on his reactions during a meeting as was seen on a polished television show.

Never mind that it's commonly known that Swedish folk and by extension the Swedish cluture is one based on humility, that part of proffering that is showing extreme deference to authority figures (i.e. bosses, NHL-legends-come-team-Presidents) with excessive thanks and by doing a large part of listening and not speaking during introduction. Frankly, that humility is also expressed as self-deprecation and doing quite a bit as to not attract attention to oneself during those interactions, even downplaying your own achievements.

Or, it's just bad body language that shows he's not buying into it. Yeah, go with that.

Yes, you're so right. Quit overreacting indeed.

:laugh:

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
So let me get this straight... Each and every one of Svedberg's saves were fluky and opponents shooting into his glove, Söderberg hasn't proven himself enough to justify bringing him over and signing a low-risk, medium-to-high-reward contract, and Eriksson had an "abysmal showing" tonight (which you just happened to bring up in speaking of Söderberg)? This the flag below your join date speaking? :handclap:
I haven't met as insecure Swedish people anywhere else in the world except at HFBoards. The moment a Finnish poster writes in a critical tone about a Swedish player (for good reason, like with Eriksson for this preseason game) some of you are up in arms. You guys are the last people in the world I would've suspected to be so nationalistic to be unable to view things objectively. Your strawman argumentation is pathetic to say the least. Yeah, I could be a Boston Bruins fan with a Finnish flag on my name who goes into GDTs criticising every Swedish prospect on our favorite team for absolutely no reason except to spite the Swedish nation. Or, I could be a Boston Bruins fan who saw what everyone else saw, and posted one sentence about it. Feel free to knock yourself out with the conspiracy theories though and attacking some imaginary comments I never said.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
Dallas fan chiming in. I heard you guys were disappointed in Loui tonight. Reading the past few thread, seemed people thought he looked lazy/disinterested. I didn't watch the game so that may be so, but keep in mind Loui is a very quiet player. He's not going to rock you with a big hit or make a beautiful play. He's solid, in the right places, and scores goals when you need them. He's maybe the most quiet guy on the ice until he scores. You don't realize half the great plays he makes over the course of a game.

going to have some fun with this:

I heard you guys were disappointed in [bergeron] tonight. Reading the past few thread, seemed people thought he looked lazy/disinterested. I didn't watch the game so that may be so, but keep in mind [bergeron] is a very quiet player. He's not going to rock you with a big hit or make a beautiful play. He's solid, in the right places, and scores goals when you need them. He's maybe the most quiet guy on the ice until he scores. You don't realize half the great plays he makes over the course of a game.

most of the people who post here wouldn't know what to do with themselves if the bruins were actually a bad team.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
i'm pretty sure someone on the board needs to buy me a coffee for trying to read these last few pages. hell.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Ugh... alright I want to clear something up about Eriksson.

First, my comment about him not getting the Neely message was a tongue in cheek comment and not meant to be taken seriously.

Honestly though, I didn't like what I saw from Eriksson tonight. It's nothing to freak out over because it's one ****ing preseason game, but I think what looked like a lack of effort on his part would be more of a red flag than say if Eriksson turned it over a couple times and it led to a goal or something. I really want this guy to fit into the Bruin mold. We've always seemed to have one or two players on the team that didn't seem to "fit in" in terms of style of play. There's been Kaberle and Corvo on the back-end recently, and then Kessel, Jagr and, to some degree, Seguin up front. I just don't want Eriksson to be the next guy who can excel elsewhere but can't fully blossom here because he doesn't really fit in with the team identity. We all hear about his great two-way play (and if you're GloryDaze you've apparently watched Eriksson 82 times a year already), but I want to see it firsthand in the Bruins system.

If we get the kind of player that we saw tonight as far as effort/style of play, I'm not happy. I expect him to be a lot better though so it's a non issue right now. I'm just voicing a slight concern that will probably amount to nothing on page 23 of a preseason game day thread; I'm not throwing the towel in on Eriksson and calling it quits on the Bruins.

I'm so happy that you are only SLIGHTLY concerned (after one mediocre preseason game), and not yet ready to write off a guy that has 357 career points and has played over 500 NHL games. When does the real concern start, next week? :laugh:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
ahh Bruins fans, so desperate to hate on one of there own players. Eriksson has a high hockey IQ and we need people like that

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
going to have some fun with this...

Well done. :thumbu:

I think folks who's only impression of Loui Eriksson have come from highlight reels are going to be confused. Highlight reels make everyone look like they play a million miles an hour. That's not Loui. He has bursts like that, but he's more of a cerebral player, like Bergeron and Krejci.

As a comparison, Seguin had/has a high motor, but he's terrified of contact, and would go out of his way to avoid getting hit, having the puck when someone was coming towards him to make a hit, or getting to the puck first. Loui may not be a hitter, but he doesn't panic like that when contact is about to be made.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

While we thank you, this is no place for a voice of reason/experience nor positivity, some saw what they saw, a guy who ultimately was acquired for Seguin who had a poor game, case closed, this was a bad transaction:sarcasm:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Svedberg stands tall in Bruins’ 3-2 shootout win
[Svedberg] was solid,†coach Claude Julien said. “He made some good saves. I think he got as surprised as anybody else on that goal [by Casey Wellman]. That guy just turned around and shot it quickly – it was a quick release – I don’t know if he was screened.

“Yet, he stood up and shined through the shootout. So he was really good tonight. I liked his outing.â€

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey...hootout-win/imQqSTuAeX3zmoTqaZeiCP/story.html

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I didn't see this game but the main impression I have is that Svedberg did really well (and Johnson is probably hoping he redeems himself in the next game or start finding out what number is available in Providence).

I also find the Eriksson criticism over the top. His first game as a Bruin with a center he hasn't played with (and from other comment Marchand wasn't playing that well either-maybe they missed Bergy).

Oh and it sounds like the third line spot is going to come down to Smith, Johnson, Caron or Spooner.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next game Gter some cuts are made.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

sounds similar to how I would describe Bergeron. I like that.

Thanks for the feedback.

nycbruins*

Eriksson has a job. I'm more concerned about the guys who don't have jobs yet. Seems like nick Johnson & svedberg want jobs. Who else? I haven't watched smith closely enough but some seem impressed. How did Caron look? Knight? Will they give spooner a shot if he deserves it or is he odd center out no matter what? That's what I'm focused on, not how an Allstar looked in 2 periods of a pre-season game in Baltimore

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Most of us know. A lot of people here like to... overreact a little bit.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Play Eriksson with Krejci and Lucic and he'll score plenty. What did Marchand do last night exactly ? Where is the criticism ?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Play Eriksson with Krejci and Lucic and he'll score plenty. What did Marchand do last night exactly ? Where is the criticism ?

Although I thought iginla looked great on the Krejci/ Lucic line, I like your idea^.

Ericksson would slot nicely on the RW alongside Krejci, also giving the team a reliable defensive presence. Bergeron & Krejci already have the 'D' zone covered nicely, Iginla could focus on putting pucks in the net with those two guys.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I see some people have a little concern about Eriksson's play. What I noticed, and I only saw the 2nd half of the game, was that Khokhlachev did not mesh well with Eriksson, I didn't think he meshed particularly well with Marchand either. Maybe it was just unfamiliarity. I am not saying Koko didn't play well because I thought he looked good, I just think the chemistry wasn't there between them.

I need to see Eriksson play with Bergeron before I come to any conclusion either way.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Marchand was way worse than Eriksson last night ...neither of which concerns me very much at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad