GDT: Preseason Game 2 7pm 9/17 Bruins @Washington Capitals in Baltimore, MD

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
So based on these two games, we have successfully concluded:

The Bruins are going to win the Stanley Cup (last night) and Erkisson is a bum (tonight).

God I hate the preseason more than the offseason.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
I just....I don't even know what to say.

According to this GDT, Bobby Robins is the incarnate of the next great thing to bless the Bruins and Loui Eriksson is a bust.

This is by far the hardest I've laughed in a month.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
So based on these two games, we have successfully concluded:

The Bruins are going to win the Stanley Cup (last night) and Erkisson is a bum (tonight).

God I hate the preseason more than the offseason.

I haven't been able to watch either game, and I wasn't really torn up about it....

Someone told me that if I wanted a good laugh to come read the GDT, and yeah, I needed a good laugh.

I got it. Seguin for Eriksson will go down as the organization's death knell.

Never change, HF, never change.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I'm expecting great things from Eriksson on this team, but to those of you making excuses for his lackluster play tonight, there is no excuse.

Preseason or not, this was his first time playing in an organized game with a Bruin sweater.

The Bruins don't like players who only work hard sometimes. After seeing the way he acted in his interview with Neely, and his motivation to work hard in tonight's game, I have some concerns about him, but they are barely worth even acknowledging right now.

Hopefully they are all unfounded, because I have/had some pretty high expectations of him on this team.

I honestly don't care how he performed in this preseason game, and it isn't fair to judge him on it.

As long as he works his butt off come real game time.

Time will tell.

You are aware that Eriksson himself chose to go to Boston. He could well have remained in Dallas and played with little motivation, rest on his laurels and make money, but he chose to go to a bigger market for a chance to compete at a higher level and for the Stanley Cup. Pretty sure he'll compete, when it actually means something and he plays with his actual line mates. I didn't watch the whole game tonight, but in the 30 minutes I did watch he created two 2-on-1's (one of which turned into a 1 on 1 as his team mate was interfered with, with no call) and had some solid defensive plays. I don't know if people were expecting him to score a hat trick to "best" Iginla, of course we'll expect him to perform better overall in the regular season, but I wouldn't call this an "abysmal showing" as some have. The fact that he shot on the 2-on-1 was just positive in my eyes because you have too many guys looking for a pass there and either failing to find it (which can even result in a breakaway the other way, worst case scenario), or is just too obvious. When you have guys who both shoot and pass on them, both options become more effective. Had he passed and it had been broken up, or Marchand (or whoever it was) had missed the net, people would've complained about him not shooting.

Anyway, really happy with what I saw from Kelly today, Svedberg was solid (can't be much better given that he'd have to be out of position to save that goal). Hope they both keep it up. And hope the fight for the RW spot on the 3rd line remains as exciting as it is atm, and ultimately (optimally) results in a decent-to-good 3rd line.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I haven't been able to watch either game, and I wasn't really torn up about it....

Someone told me that if I wanted a good laugh to come read the GDT, and yeah, I needed a good laugh.

I got it. Seguin for Eriksson will go down as the organization's death knell.

Never change, HF, never change.

If you needed a laugh, you should be torn up about not being to watch tonight's game. It was occasionally intentionally comical, at other points tragicomical, and every now and then I suppose I was just laughing out of sheer fatigue. Never change, Baltimore, never change.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I just....I don't even know what to say.

According to this GDT, Bobby Robins is the incarnate of the next great thing to bless the Bruins and Loui Eriksson is a bust.

This is by far the hardest I've laughed in a month.
You're twisting words when it comes to Robins. One poster on here thinks he's a goon with no skill and should get off the ice immediately. The few who have seen him play often don't see it that way. That's all that is.

The Louie thing is more concerning than people talking about Bobby. Hes not a dumb hockey player, period.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
So...going by some of these posts...I guess we have two Swedish whipping boys now? (Soderberg and Eriksson)
I think I'll let a few regular season games go on by before those two get any criticism from me.

gonna be a long ****ing season if we're going to nitpick Eriksson in his first (preseason) game as a Bruin.

Let's question his compete level and "softness" if it's been at least ~10 games with similar results at the very least.

Eriksson has played one meaningless pre-season game and he's lazy and slow.

Seriously, people need to ****ing relax. Dude will get us 25-30/40-50 and 70/80

Are people really on eriksson's back after one preseason game? :facepalm:

Seguin floated. Seguin was also a headache. You can skate 100 miles an hour and do absolutely nothing, which was Seguin.

Erikson has played a SINGLE preseason game, and your'e calling him a lazy, soft, floater.

IF you ever want to change your screen name you should change it to "Height of Hyperbole".

And people wonder why jokes are made about HF?

Are people here seriously questioning Eriksson's compete level after one preseason game (and even worse calling into question his body language during an interview)??? Have none of you watched Eriksson actually play in meaningful NHL games? The guy is one of the better two-way players in the game.

This place is ******* NUTS!

If you're not allowed to say anything negative about how a player played during a preseason game, because of the insignificance of the game - then where are all your critiques of those who have said POSITIVE things about players? It would go both ways, if your rationale is that "one can't judge based on a stupid meaningless game".

If a player looked good, I think it's ok to say that he looked good. If he didn't look good - well, that's fair ball too.

What's nutty to me, is how "so and so didn't play very well tonight" translates so EASILY for some to "so and so sucks at ice hockey".

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If you're not allowed to say anything negative about how a player played during a preseason game, because of the insignificance of the game - then where are all your critiques of those who have said POSITIVE things about players? It would go both ways, if your rationale is that "one can't judge based on a stupid meaningless game".

If a player looked good, I think it's ok to say that he looked good. If he didn't look good - well, that's fair ball too.

What's nutty to me, is how "so and so didn't play very well tonight" translates so EASILY for some to "so and so sucks at ice hockey".

There is a huge difference between saying that someone did not look good in one preseason game, and basing your opinion of said player on that one game, particularly when their career contradicts that opinion.

Even worse when a poster uses body language from a TV show as basis for that concern.

Mr. Make-Believe

There is a huge difference between saying that someone did not look good in one preseason game, and basing your opinion of said player on that one game, particularly when their career contradicts that opinion.

Even worse when a poster uses body language from a TV show as basis for that concern.

Is that what happened though? I missed who did that.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
If you needed a laugh, you should be torn up about not being to watch tonight's game. It was occasionally intentionally comical, at other points tragicomical, and every now and then I suppose I was just laughing out of sheer fatigue. Never change, Baltimore, never change.

Yeah, it's a pre-season game and real-life comic tragedies are taking up all my time at the moment. Besides, I've seen enough to know that putting any sort of stock or investing any energy into the results of of a pre-season game s an exercise in futility, but some folks like the rat race, so it is what it is.

I did hear about the glass replacement though. I think given enough time you'd have seen the lights go out like they did in last year's Superbowl.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
You're twisting words when it comes to Robins. One poster on here thinks he's a goon with no skill and should get off the ice immediately. The few who have seen him play often don't see it that way. That's all that is.

The Louie thing is more concerning than people talking about Bobby. Hes not a dumb hockey player, period.

No, there's no such thing as hyperbole on HF boards.

I have seen Bobby Robins play. I don't believe he has the skill set to stay on an NHL roster, and whatever energy he brings as an "enforcer" isn't worth what is lost in the skill department, especially considering the fact that the enforcer role is about to go the way of the dodo.

I get that he's a popular guy, well-liked and a fan favorite. In the four lines system employed by this Bruins team, you need all of these guys to have some semblance of a skill set. People comparing the skill set of Thornton to Robins simply because they both fill an enforcer role are vastly shorting Thornton's offensive skill set...while diminished in recent years, is still a better skill set than virtually every other enforcer in the league.

There are other options in the league that will be free agents to fill that role better than Robins that will ultimately be more productive to the four lines construct once Shawn's contract ends.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

With guys like Cooke, Burrows, Kaleta, and Torres around there will always be some sort of enforcer.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
With guys like Cooke, Burrows, Kaleta, and Torres around there will always be some sort of enforcer.

No, there won't, IMO.

A. Like it or not, the current rules changes are trending toward less fights. People hate it, I get it, but it's going to happen. People best learn to deal with it.

B. Those guys will retire at some point, and ushered in will be guys who are grandfathered in under the new rules.

C. thus the end of the enforcer role as we know it.

Like it, hate it, doesn't matter. It's the evolution of the game and the direction it's headed. It may not happen next year, or within 5 years, but teams will eventually decide that a strict enforcer is not worth the roster spot if that enforcer doesn't bring some semblance of actual talent.

Mr. Make-Believe

Looked to me like Bruins54, Trap Jesus and one other poster were doing that, but maybe we look at things differently?

I try to read what they're typing. Not what I think they mean to type.

Bruins 54 said that he saw Eriksson play with Dallas and he struck him as being a soft player.

Trap Jesus mentioned Eriksson looking like he didn't care tonight, and thought it was odd, seeing as though it was his first in a Bruins uniform. Expected to see more jump in his step. He also mentioned Svedberg as being excellent.

Now, I don't share the concerns that these two do about Eriksson. But I got blasted for questioning parts of Soderberg's game from the bout versus Montreal. And it wasn't even as though I hated what I saw. Just certain aspects of his game looked off to me (while others looked solid).

HF tends to jump to the defense of any criticisms and throws "hate" around. No... I think if we are to allow positive remarks, we should be tolerant of negative ones as well. And we're good enough here to be able to debate the points based on their own merits without blowing those comments out of proportion.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Yeah the goon type is being ushered out. The guys who just do fights off the draw. More guys like Thornton, Kane, Lucic, Neil etc....will be around to enforce and contribute in other ways.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
How did Knight look out there?? Anyone?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I try to read what they're typing. Not what I think they mean to type.

Bruins 54 said that he saw Eriksson play with Dallas and he struck him as being a soft player.

Trap Jesus mentioned Eriksson looking like he didn't care tonight, and thought it was odd, seeing as though it was his first in a Bruins uniform. Expected to see more jump in his step. He also mentioned Svedberg as being excellent.

Now, I don't share the concerns that these two do about Eriksson. But I got blasted for questioning parts of Soderberg's game from the bout versus Montreal. And it wasn't even as though I hated what I saw. Just certain aspects of his game looked off to me (while others looked solid).

HF tends to jump to the defense of any criticisms and throws "hate" around. No... I think if we are to allow positive remarks, we should be tolerant of negative ones as well. And we're good enough here to be able to debate the points based on their own merits without blowing those comments out of proportion.

Base it on something though, not some nebulous "he looks soft", or "he looks disinterested", WTF does that mean? If a poster has a legit criticism, by all means share it, but a lot of times they have nothing more than a feeling to back up the statement.

This is one that caught my eye:

"Eriksson apparently didn't get the message from Neely about working hard..."

Really?

member 96824

You are aware that Eriksson himself chose to go to Boston. He could well have remained in Dallas and played with little motivation, rest on his laurels and make money, but he chose to go to a bigger market for a chance to compete at a higher level and for the Stanley Cup. Pretty sure he'll compete, when it actually means something and he plays with his actual line mates. I didn't watch the whole game tonight, but in the 30 minutes I did watch he created two 2-on-1's (one of which turned into a 1 on 1 as his team mate was interfered with, with no call) and had some solid defensive plays. I don't know if people were expecting him to score a hat trick to "best" Iginla, of course we'll expect him to perform better overall in the regular season, but I wouldn't call this an "abysmal showing" as some have. The fact that he shot on the 2-on-1 was just positive in my eyes because you have too many guys looking for a pass there and either failing to find it (which can even result in a breakaway the other way, worst case scenario), or is just too obvious. When you have guys who both shoot and pass on them, both options become more effective. Had he passed and it had been broken up, or Marchand (or whoever it was) had missed the net, people would've complained about him not shooting.

Anyway, really happy with what I saw from Kelly today, Svedberg was solid (can't be much better given that he'd have to be out of position to save that goal). Hope they both keep it up. And hope the fight for the RW spot on the 3rd line remains as exciting as it is atm, and ultimately (optimally) results in a decent-to-good 3rd line.

Wait...What???

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Wait...What???

He waived his no-trade clause to come to Boston, knowing that he'd have a bigger chance to win as long as he put in the dedication his new team would expect (probably a higher one than Dallas would). The fact that some didn't see that dedication and drive in the one pre-season game doesn't mean that it's not there.

member 96824

He waived his no-trade clause to come to Boston, knowing that he'd have a bigger chance to win as long as he put in the dedication his new team would expect (probably a higher one than Dallas would). The fact that some didn't see that dedication and drive in the one pre-season game doesn't mean that it's not there.

I get that, and I personally dont doubt loui for a second having seen him quite a bit, just seems like a bizarre example to demonstrate drive and determination.

1 preseason game didnt make Krug a norris winner just like it doesnt make Loui a bum.

unless we wanna trade loui for drafr picks and start the whole process over again:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00