GDT: Preseason game #1 YOUR NEW JERSEY DEVILS @ Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Didn't get to watch the game after the goal was on the Severson penalty. On a team level, I was mostly satisfied with what I saw five-on-five, and I'm not really going to critique the PP and the PK when the coaching staff haven't worked on those areas yet. As players, JQ and Palmieri stood out to me the most, although a couple of other guys looked good.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As bad as the PK was tonight, it didn't look too much, if any worse than the Foligno special from last season. Those first 6 weeks with Greene playing on the wrong side, despite it clearly not working EVER. And that was actually supposed to be a legit PK system and a strategy that was clearly worked on. This one tonight was clearly not, that's the sad part about that crap we saw last fall.

Gelinas sucked on the PK, it's okay though. Mark Fraser managed to look as bad every night, and he was used on the PK every game. Always on the first unit if Larsson was in the box.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
As bad as the PK was tonight, it didn't look too much, if any worse than the Foligno special from last season. Those first 6 weeks with Greene playing on the wrong side, despite it clearly not working EVER. And that was actually supposed to be a legit PK system and a strategy that was clearly worked on. This one tonight was clearly not, that's the sad part about that crap we saw last fall.

Gelinas sucked on the PK, it's okay though. Mark Fraser managed to look as bad every night, and he was used on the PK every game. Always on the first unit if Larsson was in the box.

Well, that puts things in perspective. We also didn't have Greene or Larsson tonight, so not only wasn't there a real system in place, but we also were lacking in personnel that we would typically use on the PK.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Someone mentioned it in the last page but this clearly did not get said enough:

Merril was fantastic tonight. If that's the Merrill we get for the season, we are in for a great second pairing.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

I'm gonna defend Gelinas, because I think he might have looked like our best defenseman for most of the night. Merrill was fantastic, but I think they put Gelinas out there in a lot of situations he didn't play in last season (and won't play in this season with Greene etc on the ice) but I thought his first passes were great and his body position and winning pucks in the corners was really very good.

He was much better than Severson all night long in all zones, and if that isn't a surprise I sure don't know what is.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Merril was fantastic tonight. If that's the Merrill we get for the season, we are in for a great second pairing.

Someone ragged on him but he had a good game. He looked solid. Good when he joined the attack but also just solid defensively where maybe he isn't as noticeable (which isn't a bad thing)

Honestly despite the result I was overall satisified with what I saw. I saw guys working hard and hustling. I saw the beginnings of an attacking system that could work for us.

And I see the potential for some gems in some of these young guys.

This is all going to take time but I think we are slowly turning the ship around towards the right direction.

Also not mentioned. Kinky overall looked very solid in net. He wasn't challenged a lot but when he was he was mostly on point.

Obviously would of love if they got rewarded with goals and even the win but the work is there and I think it will eventually bear fruit.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
On the defense discussion, I thought Merrill, Severson, and Gelinas all looked about as I expected. Merrill was more involved offensively, which I like. Severson was quiet, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Gelinas was...well...Gelinas. I've just accepted that the warts probably aren't going away. I just hope he can produce enough offensively to make up for them. Helgeson was not terrible, but I think we know what we're getting with him. He's big (and decently mobile for his size) and can throw his weight around. Beyond that, he's just not all that good. White looked a bit overwhelmed, but I think that's just a size and age issue. I think he's got the smarts to be a potential find down the road. Scarlett looked rough, but I didn't really have any expectations for him to begin with.

As for the forwards, I really liked Palmieri's game. I think he's going to be a really solid addition. Quenneville looks like a younger version of Henrique out there, although I'm not sure his offensive ceiling is as high as Rico's. Zacha looks very raw, which is to be expected. You can definitely see the skill level, he just needs seasoning and to figure out exactly what kind of player he is. Josefson was, as usual, pretty average. Kalinin had a rough night. Ruutu was Ruutu. Stempniak had a quietly solid game. Beyond that nobody really stood out one way or the other.

As a whole, I thought they played a pretty typical Devils game. Outshoot the opponent but lose. Special teams I'm not all that worried about since they haven't really had time to work on them. I did think we looked faster than last year though, which is good.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002

Merrill just needs a settled d partner and he will be fine.

Merrill last season had about 5 different pairings and switched sides often too.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I liked what i saw from kalinin, blandisi, and JQ. Wasn't paying a ton of attention to the D.

Zachas gonna get his 9 games probably but i don't even know if he should at this point.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Excited to read about JQ, Palmieri, and Merrill. I'm hoping for big things for him this year, it should be a season he takes a step forward and really solidifies that pairing with Severson. I'm not worried about Damon, we know what he can do.

Sounds like things are progressing nicely. Henrique and Palmieri sound like they're working well together and should solidify 2/3's of the present and future 2nd line. I'm shooting high, but I'd like to see 45-50 goals from them combined.

Zacha sounds as advertised - finally. He still has a few more games to get accustomed and earn a spot. If he doesn't, he doesn't...I'm not concerned. He has a top6 skill set and will eventually learn to take full advantage.

Q is the biggest and best surprise IMHO. He might turn out be be good enough to be a 2C and that would be awesome, but I'm looking for him to eventually lock down that 3C and give the Devils serious depth. Things are slowly coming into focus for the long term.

1 - Zacha
2 - LW-Henrique-Palmieri
3 - Blandisi-Quenneville-RW
4 - will work itself out, we have enough organizational depth here

Shero still needs to add 4 top9 forwards (3 Top6) and has his work cut out, but the team is starting to see building blocks set into place.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Quenneville came as advertised on his pre-draft scouting report. He's great on the cycle, does little things well, no aspect really stands out. He did enough to stick around IMO.

Zacha was ok, I don't think he should be carrying his line. If Elias gets back in time and they stick him on Zacha's line during the preseason, it would really help him.

Palmieri is going to be a good player for us.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I only watched a few minutes of the first period.

Zacha is already the most creative player in the organization.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
I liked what i saw from kalinin, blandisi, and JQ. Wasn't paying a ton of attention to the D.

Zachas gonna get his 9 games probably but i don't even know if he should at this point.

I agree on Kalinin. I don't know why so many said he played poorly. He's got a lot of energy in his game. He looks like he'll fit that "relentless" identity pretty well.

For Zacha, he looks close enough to give him a shot to stick. His skating/speed and ability to use his body to protect the puck and forecheck was what stood out last night. His decision making was very much on the safe side, but that suggests to me that the guy is feeling things out. He had a few moments we're he took some chances, and that's where you can really see his talent.

I think he should get the 9 games, just to see when he opens things up a bit. If he remains where he is by game 9, you give him a bit more time.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
only saw the first period. I also like Kalinin's game. aside from that, over the one period I thought quenneville continued to do some good things, Henrique/palmieri were solid and zacha showed that he definitely has a lot of raw talent.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I only watched a few minutes of the first period.

Zacha is already the most creative player in the organization.

I didn't see that based on last night's game.

I actually didn't see much of anything from the Devils last night aside from KP.

But it was a glorified scrimmage, didn't even feel like a preseason game.

Only 2 practice days is not enough to get a team ready for a preseason game.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I didn't see that based on last night's game.

I actually didn't see much of anything from the Devils last night aside from KP.

But it was a glorified scrimmage, didn't even feel like a preseason game.

Only 2 practice days is not enough to get a team ready for a preseason game.

I didn't watch a ton of games last year. It was a busy year for me, so maybe I missed something. But off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone else on the team that will try to "dangle" around players to beat them one-on-one.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I didn't watch a ton of games last year. It was a busy year for me, so maybe I missed something. But off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone else on the team that will try to "dangle" around players to beat them one-on-one.

I thought Zacha looked ok last night, but he did nothing to stand out or wow me.
But no Devil really did.

Lorito has some speed and skill, but he's not close to ready for the NHL.

I'm fine with Zacha and JQ getting 9 games up here but they need another season in juniors

Let them be first line players that play in all situations and lead their respective teams.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I'm not a big believer in them either at this point. Boucher took a huge step back last year and Matteau is what he is, a third-fourth line grinder who can maybe hit double digit goals...in other words, a more physical Bernier type.

Plus how can anyone realistically complain about not making a stacked Boston roster the last two years? If he didn't make THIS year's roster then I could see throwing a tantrum over it.

I think Kujawinski is about to pass Matteau on the depth chart.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I thought Zacha looked ok last night, but he did nothing to stand out or wow me.
But no Devil really did.

Lorito has some speed and skill, but he's not close to ready for the NHL.

I'm fine with Zacha and JQ getting 9 games up here but they need another season in juniors

Let them be first line players that play in all situations and lead their respective teams.

I am in this camp as well. Make them hungry by giving them a taste. Then send them back.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Right now, unless Zacha really wows in the rest of training camp/pre-season games, I think that it would probably be best to send him back down to Canadian juniors. I can see his talent, but it still looks very raw. One more year of juniors could probably help him refine it quite a bit. I don't want to rush him, and currently he just doesn't appear ready for the NHL yet.

Of the two, I actually feel like JQ seems more NHL-ready than Zacha, not that he is more talented, just that his talent is less raw and more transferable to the NHL right now than Zacha's is. I'd still probably send JQ back to juniors to hopefully be a leader who plays in a variety of situations for his team, which would be very valuable experience for him, but to me, JQ has done more in rookie and training camp to show that he should be kept around in the NHL this season than Zacha.

I'm not worried about Zacha, but I do think the best path for his development probably has him back in juniors next year, and there's nothing really wrong with that.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
I saw the whole game last night and first period they were all great but then everyone started slowing down and not skating.

Zacha actually started getting better as the night went along but his line mates were not in sync with him. He is very good at handling the puck but I saw one instance where he overhandled it and the other team took it for a breakaway.

Our best D pair was Merrill-Severson both of them were good last night. Gelly had some good breakouts but I don't think he belongs on the PK. He failed to clear the pass that lead to that first goal.

I saw some good things out of both Scarlet and White. They are both very good skaters and Scarlet has a nice shot. Our defense was doing ok the first period and then slowly made more and more mistakes. This pairing was up and down all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad