GDT: Preseason game #1 YOUR NEW JERSEY DEVILS @ Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL Fanatik*

Give me that kid Koko, i liked what I saw from him moreso than any Devil tonight

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Scarlett has some nice offensive instincts, but he might quite possibly be the worst defenseman at defense that we've had on the NHL Devils in years. That's if he was ever on the team, and it looks like he's way down the depth chart and likely won't be.

He's really bad at defense, might seriously be the worst if he made the NHL team at any point. Not including some players that just got old like Fetisov, Colin White and more recently Bryce Salvador.

I'm on board with this - although much of his really awfulness is partially attributable to playing with the completely overmatched Colton White.

For me, Kalinen was the worst. Thompson might race him to the bottom. Stempniak is a smaller Ruutu with worse puck handling. Lorito looked as good.

Merrill is freaking awesome this game. He was as solid as could be. I thought Gelinas played well but was Gelinas on a few plays - he was exposed when playing with Colton White. Severson, I thought looked pretty bad for Severson. did some good things but looked tired and slow and had some odd giveaways.

Palmieri and Henrique were clearly our only real NHL forwards - although JJ played a lot of tough minutes killing penalties - he won some faceoffs and did some good things.

Quenneville and Zacha are NHL players - it's just a matter of strength and when.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Very good news about JQ. It's funny how we all were hard on him (me included) until we finally got a chance to see him live. I would love to see him get a crack at the NHL and I'm looking forward to seeing him in more Pre-Season games at the very least.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Bruins commentators were so proud that they capitalized on the PP. Little did they know the Devils had no system in place...of maybe they did know and failed to mention it

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
My favorite thing on the night was Palmieri, loving that acquisition even more than ever now. He played great and brings a very complete game. I liked Lorito too.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haha this GDT has at least as many posts already as some of our more lengthy GDT's later in the regular season last year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Give me that kid Koko, i liked what I saw from him moreso than any Devil tonight

Better call your Gm and let him know, I'd guess he'll be available.

Bruins commentators were so proud that they capitalized on the PP. Little did they know the Devils had no system in place...of maybe they did know and failed to mention it

They are always excited, no matter which team scores and it was irwins 1st game as a Bruin.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Only one game. Give it some time.

well yeah, I did say 'on the night'...was just refreshing to see a new face with a place on this team playing well out there

plus dealing jagr to florida ended up positioning us for the palmieri acquisition so I feel the deal is a win either way

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

People have been talking about this guy the last couple of days and I really don't see where he's a big deal once I saw his numbers last year. 45 points in 65 or so games and he thinks he's some big star being stifled?

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
People have been talking about this guy the last couple of days and I really don't see where he's a big deal once I saw his numbers last year. 45 points in 65 or so games and he thinks he's some big star being stifled?

well he's a 22 year old who led his AHL team in scoring 2 out of the three years he's been there. And he didn't say he is a big star or whatever just that he hasn't been given much of a chance with the big club which is true.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
18 page GDT for a preseason game, it must have been a really long offseason for you guys :laugh:

That's what I'm saying!

Some of those GDT's in the second half of last season barely had 400 posts sometimes.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That's what I'm saying!

Some of those GDT's in the second half of last season barely had 400 posts sometimes.

That's because we'd lost all hope by that point. At least now there's a feeling of something new and different happening. How long that lasts, who knows.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
well he's a 22 year old who led his AHL team in scoring 2 out of the three years he's been there. And he didn't say he is a big star or whatever just that he hasn't been given much of a chance with the big club which is true.

Saying he led his team with 43 points is like saying Henrique led the Devils in scoring last year with 43 points and passing it off as a big deal. It's a who freaking cares stat when you're scoring mid-40's. His previous year he had 57 to be fair, and maybe he was sulking last year which isn't exactly something we need in the organization right now.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Saying he led his team with 43 points is like saying Henrique led the Devils in scoring last year with 43 points. It's a who freaking cares stat when you're scoring mid-40's. His previous year he had 57 to be fair, and maybe he was sulking last year which isn't exactly something we need in the organization right now.

Their next leading scorer had 35 points in 73 games. He had 43 in 61. The few good producers that team had went to the NHL(Pastrnak, Spooner, Griffith) so obviously his production is going to suffer. Khoklachev had Bergeron, Kregci, and Soderberg in front of him last year which is probably the biggest reason he wasn't on the big team. Devils don't have that kind of depth so it's not really hard to see why ppl see Khoklachev as a good fit for where the Devils are now. Maybe it doesn't work but it's not much risk.

And I don't see the point about harping about his AHL production when the Devils have guys like Matteau and Boucher who are of similar age vying for spots when they have had much worse production than Khoklachev.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And I don't see the point about harping about his AHL production when the Devils have guys like Matteau and Boucher who are of similar age vying for spots when they have had much worse production than Khoklachev.

I'm not a big believer in them either at this point. Boucher took a huge step back last year and Matteau is what he is, a third-fourth line grinder who can maybe hit double digit goals...in other words, a more physical Bernier type.

Plus how can anyone realistically complain about not making a stacked Boston roster the last two years? If he didn't make THIS year's roster then I could see throwing a tantrum over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig