GDT: Preseason game 1: Knights @ Avs 7:00pm MT

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I totally saw the Blake Wheeler comparisons when I was watching Rantanen carry the puck last night. Looked like a total bull, and a lot more explosive than last year. Balance was always an issue with him, and I would imagine he put a lot of emphasis on that in training. Top-line looked totally fine to me, they obviously weren't playing to the best of their abilities either.

I thought EJ made a few boneheaded plays, which kind of surprised me. I'm honestly not a fan of the non-chalent defensive play in pre-season. I know it doesn't mean anything, but to me it's a chance to hone your craft against lower level players, and he was pretty careless compared to his usual self.

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
Honestly, I think Bednar putting him out with Geertsen against the best forechecking team in the league was a message to scouts/management to say 'stop giving me these players'
LOL. Gosh let's hope so, and that the message was received loud and clear.

I remain a bit concerned however.

Reactions: Murzu

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Honestly, I think Bednar putting him out with Geertsen against the best forechecking team in the league was a message to scouts/management to say 'stop giving me these players'

Actually I think it was a way to evaluate the two against the same competition. Even though Anderson didn't shine, I thought he looked better than Geertsen. Which isn't good for Geertsen considering he's three years older.

Anderson may never pan out as an NHLer, but I find it odd that he gets more hate than Geertsen ever seemed to. People were more or less still giving Geertsen some semblance of a chance going into this training camp, despite being drafted five years ago, at the same time some are questioning why they even gave a contract to Anderson who they drafted only two years ago.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Actually I think it was a way to evaluate the two against the same competition. Even though Anderson didn't shine, I thought he looked better than Geertsen. Which isn't good for Geertsen considering he's three years older.

Anderson may never pan out as an NHLer, but I find it odd that he gets more hate than Geertsen ever seemed to. People were more or less still giving Geertsen some semblance of a chance going into this training camp, despite being drafted five years ago, at the same time some are questioning why they even gave a contract to Anderson who they drafted only two years ago.
Neither Anderson nor Geertsen will ever be regulars on the Avs in my opinion. I can see Graves stealing Barberio's or Nemeth's spot, though. He's good.

Last edited:

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
Neither Anderson nor Geertsen will ever be regulars on the Avs in my opinion. I can see Graves stealing Barberio's or Nemeth's spot, though. He's good.
100% agree . Geertson and Anderson won't sniff the pro team.

On graves, preseason game was my first look at him and he looked decent for sure. Dont know if that was an outlier or hes hustling extra hard to crack the team

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
100% agree . Geertson and Anderson won't sniff the pro team.

On graves, preseason game was my first look at him and he looked decent for sure. Dont know if that was an outlier or hes hustling extra hard to crack the team

Graves looked okay, his physicality was good to see. Not afraid to shoot (and it gets to the net). Still, looked a half step slow (just my opinion) - hopefully just preseason and that goes away, otherwise I wouldn't pencil him into the lineup just yet

I do agree on Geertsen; Anderson maybe AHL, but unlikely to see him as an NHL regular unless he takes a step change in development

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I'm kind of hoping someone beats out Nemeth. A Nemeth/Cole third pairing scares me..

Well, If I remember correctly you and 3-4 other people on the forum wanted Nemeth off the team the entire last season and I guess you will continue your compaign this season too. ;-)

The $2,5 million contract was even better I was hoping for but now Nemeth will be under pressure to deliver, that's for sure. Competition will increase dramatically from now on and the higher salary may also build some pressure.

I believe you should have more concerns about Cole though and I'm not sure pairing Nemeth with Cole necessarily is a good thing either, we will have to wait and see. Why pairing two rather slow defensive d-men together?

The Cole signing confused me a bit, if signing Cole (overpaid as well) I don't really understand why keeping Nemeth at all. Perhaps the defensive minded Bednar is aiming for the NHL nr 1 penalty killing spot even though I believe the Avs was top 5 in the league last season?

I wouldn't have sign Cole but hopefully I am wrong, it has happened before. ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Goulet17 and Murzu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad